• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Heatsinks on 1070 Ti FE PCB

Lechi

Hello, I'm all new to GPU-Cooling and I hope you guys can help me.

I have a MSI 1070 Ti Aero (same PCB als 1070 Ti FE) and I have bought the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III to achieve better Temps after I have a roomier case.
This cooler has a variety of heatsinks included for VRAM and VRM cooling. The location of the VRAM is no problem, but concerning the VRM, I'm not quite sure which of all those black blocks have to be covered.
When I removed the stock cooler, I could see, that thermal pads were only on the components, marked with a red and yellow cross (see attached photo). However, I was wondering if the comopnents with a green cross have to be covered with heatsinks as well. I was also wondering if the components with the yellow cross need to have heatsinks at all, since their footprints is so small that I fear the heatsinks will not stick well.

Another concern: right next to and between those black blocks are tiny metal-parts sticking out of the PCB so that they are on level with the black blocks. Now if I take a wide Heatsink to cover - let's say - 2 blocks at once, will this be a problem if the metal part also touches the heatsink or do these many metal parts have to be isolated so there won't be a short-circuit (metal parts indicated with blue dots)?

Attachments

• geforce_gtx_copy.jpg
    geforce_gtx_copy.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • geforce_gtx_.jpg
    geforce_gtx_.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 1,389
First of all if you stick those on, they are permanent so the resale value of the card goes down since you can not put the original cooler back on.
Read the instructions carefully !!!
Yes you should put the heat sinks on all the stuff that was covered by the original thermal pads and cooler.
Make your choices and DO NOT glue anything together until you dry fit the cooler to check if you are good to go and no shorts could happen.
If you are unsure of how to install that cooler, pay someone who knows how to install it or put the original cooler back and sell that card and get a better cooling model.
This is how my 980Ti looks.
jj1_142756.jpg

Lechi

Thanks for your reply and the helpful picture! It looks like you used heatsinks to cover several modules, so I guess those little metal parts will be no problem. Did you use any of those isolating strips that came with the cooler?
As for resale value: I will try the SEKISUI 5760 Thermal adhesive tape instead of arctics heatsink-glue. So the bond should not be permantent.

No i used a thermal adhesive, they are no problem as long as the do not come close to any component on the PCB. Dry fit them first and check if they don't touch anything on the PCB or that they do not interfere with the Accelero.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K + Lenovo L32p-30
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
They can be removed if you do it carefully. I had DIY RAM-sinks on my R9 290 with the glue Arctic provided with Accelero Hybrid III-120.

And I sold it with the stock hairdryer. :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
No i used a thermal adhesive, they are no problem as long as the do not come close to any component on the PCB. Dry fit them first and check if they don't touch anything on the PCB or that they do not interfere with the Accelero.

I used to mix AS5 with AS Epoxy to make a semi permenent solution that could be removed by hand

I installed the cooler in the summer of 2016, but thanks for the advice.
They can be removed if you do it carefully.
If i`m going to sell the card it will be with the Accelero on, i don't want to risk pulling off a vRAM or VRM chip.