1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hellgate London - Single Player

Discussion in 'Games' started by John Phoenix, Jul 19, 2010.

1. John Phoenix New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, I got this game after trying the demo and patched it up to 1.2 I do not remember if i set a difficulty setting or even if the game has one.. but i'm hoping i'm missing something. I'm level 7 and have sold a lot of stuff but I have yet had to buy anything - no guns no upgrades - I can kick butt just with the stuff I have found very nicely.

I am looking to really have to use the RPG elements in this game but so far it seems I dont.. as if they are just for show.

What is going on here.. what am I missing that would make this game play more rpg like?

2. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    Well considering this game was an MMO that failed pretty bad... You can ramp up the difficulty or beat the normal setting and then try hardcore mode which if you are unfamiliar with it, if you die, your guy gets deleted.

3. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't get much better. How it plays now is how it plays for most of the game. If you have any other games around that you've been meaning to beat - play them. Otherwise, try to take in the story, plan your character, and maybe it'll be worth what you paid.

4. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    Oh yea... I also remembered that there is a Korean company that is going to relaunch (last I heard anyways) the game as a possible Free-to-Play.

Hellgate:London Relaunch

5. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    They already cleared up the ownership thing, and all the account info is stored somewhere. So they could relaunch it any time they want. In korea the game continued to be updated and played so maybe they're translating stuff... or have decided not to relaunch. Pretty sure it costs them like $40,000 to own the rights for it in NA so I figure they'll do something with it.

6. John Phoenix New Member

Thanks Received:

I just started encountering some demons that are pretty hard to beat.. the stone creatures that came to life in the British Museum So it seems I may have to start upgrading my weapons and take advantage of more rpg elements.

I disagree with your first statement. My understanding is the game was a single player game that had a multiplayer mode. Yes, the multiplayer mode may have been bad for some yet there are tons of fans that were sorry to see it go.. Perhaps Hellgate Resurrection will be better for those who didn't like the multiplayer. I do not play multiplayer games at all so my focus is on the single player. The fact that the game had a multiplayer mode is neither here nor there.

7. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I enjoyed HG:L, but it was a tad linear and more of a "run n gun" than a true RPG.
    I don't play online either, and I will say there are some interesting moments in the game.
    I still have to finish it someday. lol

8. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:

I am affraid you are incorrect sir. It was a MMO considering that it had various monthly payment modules... you could play the free portion but you didnt have access to a lot of little perks. If you were to pay the monthly fee then you could get extra storage and access to better weapons. Also, feel bad for the poor bastards, you could have purchased a one time purchase, life time subscription that gave you a lot of things that I cant remember at this time.

Due to the game being really buggy and just not a lot of depth, Flag Ship Studio's went under.

Also this google search begs to agree with me that it was an MMO.

The single player patch was one behind the MMO when it came to content... the single play patch does not include stone henge which the MMO portion did.

Hellgate London: The MMORPG

9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Aside from the bugs turning people away initially, it made a mistake a lot of mmos have made. Allowing the player the choice to play alone. I personally love this, but a lot of mmo junkies need to forced into group actions for everything, otherwise they're left running around asking a bunch of loners to manually join up with them and nobody ever does. The whole mmo only in the lobbies thing might have worked back when PSO was you're only choice but it just doesn't work well now, especially when it's the co-opers that are the only type willing to pay a monthly fee.

10. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    I have been playing hell gate london for a few weeks now non stop. Best RPG ever created IMO. I am at level 6 for both players, and i already bought some new stuff.

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the game was specifically designed as a cooperative MMO. now that the servers are shut down, its a crippled singleplayer game.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    It does has its up's on it... I just wish the areas were a lot bigger and allowed you to roam all over the place. :(

13. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Hey check out my 2 swords i have, upgraded to its limits. Now i am working on finding or buying a super gun and upgrading it also.

[​IMG]

14. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    i wish it was lanable..... it would have been an awsome game..... but shutdown before i got to it :(

it really is a crippled single player game, still worth playing once through tho. it was a lot of fun.

15. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I got a Shenk's Shank (unique) at level 12 I think, used it all the way to max level. Yeah, it's that good. Very fast and acted like shields didn't exist.

16. Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I played this game quite a lot in the past but didnt finish it,started to get too confusing to play it.

17. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    cHECk out this weapon i found and updated:
    [​IMG]

Miserly Cinderspike
    Spent 35,000+8,000 on its final upgrade.
    now i just need to find a shield and upgrade it to go along with it.