• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hello TPU! Need some advice for this build.

Platibus

Processor Intel Core i3 2100
Motherboard H67MA-E35
Cooling Hyper 212+
Memory XSM3 dual channel 4GB
Storage Barracuda 500GB SATA 6Gb/s
Display(s) Dell 17"
Case Brooks True Basic
Power Supply CX430
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Hello everyone. This is my first post on TPU, although I've been reading the page and forums for almost a year. This is one of the pages I visit the most when I'm using the internet, it's such a good information site. I didn't see any introduction only sticky thread like in some other forums, so if there is and it's mandatory to spend your first post there, I'm sorry for missing it. I live in Mexico, so I don't enjoy any of the privileges of the first world many of you do. You're so lucky.

My use for this new PC will be rather basic; things like browsing the internet, making downloads, watching videos at 720p max, using some light engineering software and burning dual Layer DVD's. Maybe play games from 2004 and older, like Max Payne, Deus Ex and some of the old classics. I narrowed my "wish-list" to this components:

Cooler Master Elite 341 mATX Mid-Tower Case Cooler Master Elite 341 mATX Mid-Tower Case

Biostar A780L3G AM3 760G mATX Motherboard

Kingston 4GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel

AMD Athlon II X2 255 3.1GHz

Western Digital AV 320GB 7,200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5... Western Digital AV 320GB 7,200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Zalman ZM450-US 450 Watt ATX Power Supply

22x DVD±RW Burner with Dual/Double Layer Support

The total cost of all that at microcenter.com is $290.77, wich is below my $300 budget. The question for the TPU experts is: could I do better with the money I have? I went cheap on the things that will be replaced when the time for an upgrade comes, wich are the CPU, power supply and motherboard; although I may keep the mobo and get a Phenom x4 if they have a good price in the future. I read that the 760G chipset lacks of UVD, so I don't know if I'll need a video card to play HD video.

Once again, do you think that the PC components I listed, for the price of $300, are good enough for the tasks I want for them? If you say no, then what do you recommend? I have some relatives coming from Denver for summer vacations (around June and July) and they could bring me the stuff, so I'll buy all the parts just before the come so the price comes down hopefully. Keep in mind that I don't have access to sites like newegg.com because I'm not in the US.

And that was my first post TPU, I know plenty of people will be more than helpful. Thanks, read you later and keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator: