• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hello, World! :D - Robert B's PC builds - oogle away freely :) - OLD Hardware Emporium

Pentium 66 socket 4 preparations - THE CONTROLLER

I've yet to fully clean the Asus PCI/I-P5MP3 motherboard. Weather permitting, I'm going to make it shine brighter than a DIAMOND. :D What's important is the fact that the motherboard is alive and kicking. Washing components with isopropyl alcohol 99% in temperatures close or bellow zero degrees Celsius is not an easy task. I know this the hard way. The process is slow, the alcohol doesnt evaporate like is supposed to, spots remain on the PCB and above all this, you freeze and icicles form under your nose :D I do not recommend washing/cleaning components indoors. The alcohol has a potent smell.

The socket 4 setup can't be tested without an FDD, HDD, SERIAL controller card so in this mini-episode I'll present to you: THE JPN CORPORATION CA8302E-1 Controller. The seller of the P66 and Asus motherboard said that this exact card worked with the P66 back in the day.

The controller arrived in an ok-ish state but sporting a modified bracket held in place with a case screw. The first thing I did was to remove the abomination and to prepare the card for washing with isopropyl alcohol 99%.With a soft brush I removed much of the loose dirt, I changed a 10uf 50V capacitor - C28 which was bent out shape and I straightened all the pins on the back.

After the isopropyl alcohol 99% wash.

I cleaned and polished all the metal parts. I found an almost perfect bracket. To mount it, I had to enlarge the slots in the bracket with a small file. I also used a small nut to tighten one of the retaining screws of the bracket.

Finished. results.

Untested yet. One of the chips on the controller (C820 114A) is a little chipped, sign that was tossed with other parts. Even so, the card survived and it looks great.

The full test will come after I clean the socket 4 motherboard.

More later.

gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/2nwenk47w/ ***

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
So much love for this thread!! :D :toast:

COOL Blue

Hercules 3D Prophet III Geforce 3 Titanium 200 (AGP 4x, 64 MB) - 734 5058781 Rev 1.0

Every time I lay my eyes upon a Hercules graphic card, all dressed in blue, my heart starts racing. In one of the visits I made at the flea market this year, I found this blue wonder. As soon as I saw it, my heart started beating fast. Hhhhoowww much is it? 1.2EUROS ? NO BRAINER! Mine all mine!

Only when I got back to my car with a bag full of goodies I saw that the fan was missing a blade. :D

Today I spent three and half hours to restore the Hercules graphic card. All the time I worked over the blue wonder, one phrase kept popping in my mind: COOL Blue. This is the way the name of this episode was born, Cool Blue. I'm sure you agree that the name fits the card perfectly.

The card was in an average state of decay. There were signs of water damage. The writing on one of la labels was missing and the rust started to show on the VGA connector and the screws holding the cooling fan.

First I turned my attention over the cooler. The dirt was hard to remove. It took me a while the clean the heatsink thoroughly. I decided that instead of the original broken fan, I will use the fan from a Deep Cool V50 cooler.

Work In Progress.

A little metal polishing cream and things started looking great.

Isopropyl alcohol 99% and attention to detail. Removing the dirt from the graphic card also prooved to be challenging and it took some elbow grease to send her packing. To clean the tiny spaces from the memory heatsinks I flattened a cotton stick using a pair of pliers and I had to "comb" each "tooth" :D

LOOKING GOOD!!!

When I tried to attach the Deep Cool V50 fan I saw that the fixing holes werent lining up, so I used a fine blade to make them bigger. I also replaced the original screws with new, longer ones.

Geforce 3!!! Yeah baby!!!

Firing on all its cylinders. This time I tested the card before I cleaned it and I already knew it was alive

Flawless VICTORY! Deep blue, COOL Blue, Sky Blue - awesome...words arent required here :D

gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/21rjccz2m/

gallery:
More later.

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
So much love for this thread :D I remember having one of these :D

Quantum the magnetic attraction

Metallica - The Unforgiven (Video)

Quantum...the name of my first HDD back in '96. After all these years, this name still attracts me like a magnet and I prefer it over other old HDDs . Of course, at that time on the market there were HDDs from WD, Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi, IBM, Fujitsu, Samsung but when I think about the period before the year 2000, one name obsessively comes into my mind: QUANTUM!

We could look at this story from another angle - the way a HDD works. Lets put ourselves into the place of the "humble" bit. From an impulse it shifts between "0" and "1" and the only thing that makes it "exist" all alone into his little place is "the magnetic attraction". Wicked stuff if you think about it.

For some time, I've been planing to buy a few old HDDs from the flea market just to see what I could find. I wasnt expecting much, but I knew that the chances to find a working HDD from before 2000, were pretty good.

Said and done.

I went to the flea market and I browsed the merchandise. My quick visit, made around 12.00 o'clock just before closing time, when many have already left, netted me two Quantum HDDs. Of all the possible brands I found two Quantums :D

As soon as I entered the flea market I saw my first HDD. Well would you look at that, a QUANTUM HDD. Damn son, magnetic attraction indeed: Quantum Fireball SE 3.2GB- 3.2AT SE32A101 REV 01 -B . For a very low price it was mine. NICE!

After this, I went to another seller which I knew that always had HDDs. Surprise, the basket once full of HDDs was almost empty. Someone looted the stash already. Damn...

I started to search in the basket and another Quantum sticked to my fingers. He HE He! Quantum Fireball TM 1.2GB 1280AT FB12A012 REV 01-A. In this instance I had to negociate a little, flea market style.

-At the begining the HDD was 4 EUR.
-I looked at the seller and said 4 EUR? I bought a Quantum HDD earlier for 1 EUR! I took out the other Quantum from my bag and I showed to him.
-The seller asked a guy to come and see what capacity the HDD was.
-I already looked at it and I knew it was 1.2GB.
-The guy started to look at the labels but he couldn't find anything :D, (The CHS already gave me clues regarding the capacity. Besides, the label near the Molex/IDE connector said ..1280....)
-The seller asked the guy where are the 750GB HDDs.
-At this moment I smiled and said to them: this is no 750GB HDD, just a 1.2GB and a very old HDD.
-They started to look again at the poor Quantum and another price flew in the air: 2 EUR!
-I smiled again. This time the wolf will be eaten by the sheep: here's your 2 EUR.
-After we finalized the transaction I said to them causally. In the basket, there are two more Fujistu HDDs of around 2.1 GB. One of them has a BAD label on it. If you want to sell your junk, you'd better read all the labels. (Every purchase in the flea market is a gamble, remember that.)
-The guy looked at the label and started to remove it :D. If they would present their stuff better they could ask more but I have no time to "educate" them...
-We shook hands smiling and that was it.

After I bought the HDDs I powered them up just see if they were alive. GOOD NEWS! Both powered up and my ears were assaulted by glorious sounds! The spindown of the 3.2GB is like when a mini-TURBO powers down. I LIKE IT! Dont think they are noisy, they are well within the specs of the time period.

*Quantum Fireball SE 3.2GB- 3.2AT SE32A101 REV 01 -B
*Quantum FireballTM 1.2GB 1280AT FB12A012 REV 01-A

Both of the HDDs had data on them. Mostly files form around 2000. I saved all the kits and drivers and I put them through several SECURE ERASE passes. Even if the data was old I still wonder how careless people are...

Quantum Fireball SE 3.2GB- 3.2AT SE32A101 REV 01 -B

This bad boy was in better shape. First, I removed all the useless labels that werent from factory and I used a little metal polish cream. Satisfied with the preliminary results I started to remove the PCB. BIG MISTAKE! With some difficulty I removed the screws and I raised the PCB gently. The PCB was free, but my plan to wash it with isopropyl alcohol 99% was soon cut short as on the inside I found a protective adhesive sponge.Because I didnt want to damage the sponge I put back the PCB and I prepared the HDD for two passes of manual polishing. After I ended the polishing stage, I wanted to start the HDD again but the pulse of the HDD was just a flat line:D I looked closely at the PCB and I saw the connector between the PCB and the HDD motor, falling off. Well I'll be.....it seems the connector took a hit and the solder joints cracked. When I removed the PCB the connector separated completely. NO PROBLEM! I soldered it back and BEHOLD! Quantum lives AGAIN! Sheeshhh, live and learn, here's another detail I must see when I buy old stuff.

Quantum Fireball TM 1.2GB 1280AT FB12A012 REV 01-A

The little one, looked worse. Some rust and some water marks. Even so, I wasnt discouraged. I removed the PCB just to find on the interior the same protective adhesive sponge. In this case the connector between the PCB and the HDD motor looked kind of "exotic" so I put all the parts back as they were. After the polishing stage it looked way better.

I didnt plan to remove all the scratches or give them a mirror like finish. This would require the removal of the labels / screen printing and I dont want to do this.

Enjoy the pics.

After the initial cleaning and polishing

Final results.

Testing session.

The testing session spanned over the course of several hours and I dont want to repeat this experiment anytime soon:D. The time required to establish the state of a HDD is long and even then there are no guarantees that it wont suffer a sudden death. Each HDD was put through several passes of HDD Regenerator even if they didnt have BAD sectors. Next came seven SECURE ERASE passes, full HD Tune tests and many START/STOP cycles.

The 3.2GB Quantum is in excelent shape even after working for 21493 hours / 895 days. WIN!

The 1.2GB Quantum is not doing so great but still has some life left in him. The first READ test in HD Tune returned a great graph but after a few functioning hours I found the real state of the HDD. This is fact is clear in the last READ/WRITE graphs.

gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/2tylakln2/
gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/2qjh2ai6m/

gallery:
More later.

What do you do when you have ZERO experience in DRAG SOLDERING???:D

You jump straight to QFP 208 ULTRA FINE PITCH DRAG SOLDERING:D You simply just cant be bothered with the intermediate stages :D

I needed three tries but I managed to resurrect a Tseng ET6000.

Not all was just sunshine and roses:

* the plastic of the PLCC VRAM expansion sockets cracked because of the aged plastic when I removed the chips,
* a VRAM chip was damaged by the extractor,
* I had to remove a nice sticker from the BIOS chip to find out the manufacturer,
* the solder job isnt a professional job but it is strong
* it was a case of many tiny feet of the TSENG ET6000 chip ripped from their pads. Also some of them were bent...etc etc.

I managed to keep all the pads intact. The difficulty was much bigger than in the case of the V4-L. 208 pads! The key word was FLUX!

The ET6000 was bought in 2015 for 2 EUR.

The whole experience was very exciting and full of adrenaline.

I used what I learned from the V4-L job and I took it to the next level.

I used a regular 40W soldering iron with a custom tip modified at a grinding wheel. All was done by eye and I didnt use a magnifyng glass. :D I wanted to buy a chinese hot air and soldering iron station but I decided I want something top of the line. Such a tool is quite expensive so I resorted to my trusty soldering iron:D FTW!!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I still have more ongoing projects....

More later.

PREVIEW of whats to come over the following weeks/months :D

Last edited:

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
You ever build some sweet old rigs from this stuff? Could totally do ads for parts as a really cool way to show off.

@Toothless - I only did three builds 5x86, K6-2 and a PIII. I have plans for more but at the moment they are up in the air :D I thought about ads for parts but I dont have experience with such procedures. Who knows, maybe I'll do this in the future.

The 3dfx TRIO

Nora En Pure - Morning Dew (Original Mix)

This is a special episode!

All of the cards I'm about to present were bought from the flea market, at flea market prices of course :D. The Gainward Dragon 4000 VooDoo Banshee (that's a mouthful) and VooDoo 3 3000 were a little damaged but nothing too scary. The VooDoo 3 2000 has be taken out by me from an old dusty PC case. What a wonderful feeling it was when I removed the retaining screw and I held it in my hands. My heart was racing...

The three protagonists of this special episode are:

1. 3dfx Gainward Dragon 4000 Voodoo Banshee AGP 16MB ICUVGA-GW816D P/N: 9816-21
2. 3dfx VooDoo 3 2000 AGP 16MB - 210-0364-003 STB Systems REV. C
3. 3dfx VooDoo 3 3000 AGP 16MB - 210-0364-003 STB Systems REV. C

3dfx Gainward Dragon 4000 Voodoo Banshee AGP 16MB ICUVGA-GW816D P/N: 9816-21

This card was the result of pure luck.

Several weeks ago I was at the flea market. The weather was bad and nothing seemed worthy of my time. When I was about to leave, what did I saw? On a table there were lots of components dumped on top of each other, flea market style. I started sifting through the mess and I found a P4 motherboard (meh), modems (meh), network cards (meh)... eventually a green thingie sticked to my hand. I looked at it and nothing happened :D so I put it back (MEH!). I turned away ready to leave but a few moments later I took again the green card in my hands. This time I took the phone from my pocket and I searched the Good Ol' Internet: ICUVGA-GW816D. DAMN! Banshee! How much is it? Less than 2 EUR? Here you go! I left pretty happy with my purchase! Not a moment too soon as a few seconds later a guy came and bought the whole lot :D

This is how I got my BANSHEE AGP. (I also have two other Banshees PCI cards from Creative.)

The board was missing a 22uf/16V capacitor and I took care to buy a replacement with the same specs and if possible, same markings. After a careful search, I decided to buy 10 pieces of: 22uF/16V, SMD, Panasonic EEE1CA220SR. These are rated at 85C and can be found on many 3dfx cards. They have the marking S after the voltage rating.

This as authentic as it gets...

After a good clean the board turned out to be a gem. Sure it remained with a few scars after it was tossed all over the place but I managed to save it just in time.

The card is in good working condition.

gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/1fuadadri/

The V3 2000 and V3 3000 are the result of one of my best days at the local flea market. On March 10th, 2018 I bought at bargain prices: an Asus K7M motherboard, an AMD CPU SLOT A 800MHz Thunderbird, the V3 2000, the V3 3000 and a Celeron A 333MHz. WHAT A GLORIOUS DAY!

3dfx VooDoo 3 2000 AGP 16MB - 210-0364-003 STB Systems REV. C

Nora En Pure - Zambia (Original Mix)

I took out this card from an old dusty case, myself. After a little haggling and a little charm, as the seller was a girl, :D I managed to buy this card and not the entire system. FTW!!!!!!! I was told that I have an expensive hobby and she asked me what I did with these old parts. I said to her that some people drink, other take drugs, some buy old HARDWARE, etc... and in fact the sum of the vices is constant. It deepends on how you want to look at it :D

When I saw the 3dfx logo, my eyes almost popped out of the sockets! What if it was a V5 5500?

The card is mint!

On the back it was covered by a thick layer of dust, like old wine bottles, stored in a dark cellar..

When I rubbed my finger on a small section of the card to see the exact model, I felt like Indiana Jones. A 3dfx is a 3dfx even knee deep in dirt.

The cleaning went without a hitch. The only thing I did, was to dial back the years. The board turned out great.

The testing session revealed that she is at 100%!

gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/2c50hc8j2/

3dfx VooDoo 3 3000 AGP 16MB - 210-0364-003 STB Systems REV. C

Nora En Pure - Lake Arrowhead (Original Mix)

This card was the starting point of my great day at the flea marlet. I bought it for less than 2 EUR before I found the SLOT A combo and the V3 2000.

Something was telling me that day was special but I was deaf and blind :D As soon as I saw the 3dfx logo my heart was pumping. The card was already levitating towards me through the power of my gaze. Come to me! Don't fight me! Look me in the eyes! I'm your saviour! :D

I saw it was incomplete, without a heatsink, missing a few capacitors and the bracket was bent but I already knew it had my name all over it!

When I started to restore the card one thing was bothering me the most: The heatsink.

My options were limited and I wasnt going to buy something that could turn out not to be what I needed.

I took out my calipers and I measured the distances between the holes. I got a confirmation of something I already knew. The distance between the holes is not typical .

I searched in my stash for a direct replacement but I couldnt find anything. I already knew I was about to try and mount a DeepCool V50 heatsink because I had a spare one after I used the fan on the Hercules GF3 Ti 200 from the Cool Blue episode.

Said and done.

I had nothing to lose so I took the V50 heatsink and modified it. BIG TIME. I wanted to know if I could mount such a cooler on a 3dfx so I didnt pay too much attention at the looks of my modification. I knew I could do it and I wanted to know what it would take do it. So I gave it FULL STEAM and leveled everything in my path.

Even if it seems extreme I had to remove lots of fins otherwise the board didnt fit in the AGP slot. I had a few headaches with three tantalum capacitors plus a quartz clock generator. YAY!

A little skill and a set of fine files later, I managed to test fit the heatsink on the card .

At this moment I didnt know if I had enough material to enlarge the holes in the heatsink so that I could attach with push-pins.

I took a small round file and I started removing aluminium.

A few tries later I obtained the desired results.

Something still bothered me though. Each time I put my hands on a heatsink attached with push-pins I saw that it also had a little side play so I decided to also enlarge to holes sideways . I didnt want the heatsink to be rigid and stay fixed in one position when the card was about to heat up running games.

The looks arent so great as the aluminiun is soft and scratches easily.

The thermal paste spread was SUPER!

After I sorted out THE COOLING of the card I took care of THE RESTORATION of the card.

Even if I didnt know if the card was working or not I still gave it 110%

Three 10uf/16V capacitors were missing. I couldnt find a direct replacement at the supplier so I bought ten Panasonic LOW ESR 105C - 10uF/16V SMD capacitors, EEEFP1C100AR.

Smooth sailing.

The results were above my expectations. The card turned out great.

I had my reservations regarding the cooling capacity of the modified cooler but these were soon put to rest. I knew that even without its fins, the modified DeepCool V50 was heavier than the heatsink of the V3 2000, so I was safe. When stressed, the V3 3000 with the V50 was cooler than the V3 2000. My trusty thumb-o-meter said so :D

Also, the V50 helped reduce temperature of the area surrounding the V3 3000 chip. The passive cooled V3 2000 was much hotter. That was to be expected.

WIN! WIN! WIN!

gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/1uc5qcvn2/

https://imgur.com/a/9kkz1

Nora En Pure & Sons of Maria - Sleeping in My Bed (Original Mix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWYxU1-b0Ik

3 out of 3. A HAPPY END to a special episode.:)

All testing was done on a PIII 800MHz, 384MB RAM, LuckyStar 6VABX2 VER. 2.0 - Slot 1 - Chipset - VIA VT82C693 & VT82C596A, WIN98SE.

I wasnt a 3dfx fan back in the day when it was KING but I'm getting there one 3dfx at a time.

More later.

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Your my new hero!! :D So much respect for you and all that you do in this thread it is unreal.... :) If I was wearing a hat, I would be throwing it at you sir!! :)

TwO SLOTS

Two slots, Slot 1 and Slot A, Slot A and Slot 1, so similar and yet so different.

While I was cleaning the last two SLOTed CPUs I bought recently, I said to myself that I should make a mini-episode just with them. Said and done. The methods used for opening and cleaning SECC cartridges have been posted a few times before so I'm not going to present them again.

Let's meet the two CPUS:

1. Intel Celeron A SLOT 1 - Mendocino 333MHz/66 - SL2WN
2. AMD K7 SLOT A - AMD-A0800MPR24B A - Thunderbird 800MHz

gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/1z7z49tm0/

Celeron A 333MHz - SL2WN

This little one, once famed for its overclocking capability, was very easy to clean.

I appreciated the simplicity of the cooling system and the elegance of the retaining system of the heatsink. No more hassle with a Single Edge Contact Cartridge, THANK GOD! :D

Smooth sailing.

Water and dish soap. Isopropyl alcohol 99%. Metal polish cream. A liberal amount of elbow grease. The results? PRICELESS!

Brand spanking new!:D

gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/qfi4wca0/

AMD K7 - AMD-A0800MPR24B A 800MHz

This puppy is my first SLOT A CPU with a Thunderbird core. Before I started to take it apart I said to myself that it is going to be much easier to clean. The on die 256KB cache meant that there were no external cache chips and there was no need for custom thermal pads for the contact with the heat plate of the SECC cartridge. YAY! (at least in theory...)

No matter how many times I have opened a SECC cartridge, I'm still stressed for the duration of the operation. The bending of the plastic, the deformation of the corners of the aluminium heat plate, the desire to avoid doing damage, the danger of cracking the CPU die, the possibility of scratching the PCB, etc etc etc are contributing to the anxiety I feel from the moment I start until I take the glamour shots at the end of the procedure.

The alternative? Powering up a CPU with a thermal grease which is almost 20 years old. What could go wrong, I wonder?

I know that X years from now I will have to repeat this procedure but I try not to think about it:D

The 800 TB seemed clean but I knew it couldnt be the case. Dust and dirt everywhere...

First, I gently opened the clips that attach the heatsink to the heat plate of the cartridge. Then I tried to separate them. After a few failed attempts and a few curse words &)$!)&)*(&$!&)$~~##!!!! I gave up and I took a diferent approach.

I gently removed the plastic cover from the cooler and the silver metal clips. This job took me almost 30 minutes. The plastic is very thin and removing the metal clips while the heastink was glued to the heat plate was a real pain in the arse. After I removed the damned plastic cover and metal clips, I tried again to separate the heatsink from the heat plate. NO DICE.... F...............................K!!!! No matter what I tried, nothing worked.

F--K IT! I opened up the SECC cartridge with the heatsink still attached. This allowed me to use more force to remove the plastic cover of the CPU.

I donated a little skin after all the pulling and pushing and pressing of the parts I was trying to separate. 30 de minutes later I managed to obtain the results I wanted ... and I thought this job was going to be a walk in the park...ahem PIGS FLY with JET PACKS, I TELL YOU!!! :D

I kept my eyes on the prize and I never gave up. In the end I managed to keep all the parts intact. GG!!!

After 2 minutes on the heater I successfully separated the heatsink and the heat plate. F...ing A+!

YUCK!

Naked!

Ready to be assembled.

DELICIOUS!

My "biggest" FAN!:D

Perfect!, another signature job...

gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/19l1xjkmg/

Icing on the cake: RAM....hmmm...serious business :D

gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/2nae3z76w/

The P66 is undergoing a few more steps until it is ready for the PRIME TIME!

I also bought something special from the flea market. The price was very low. NO BRAINER! (untested)

Western Digital Caviar 140 AT Compatible Intelligent Drive WDAC140 980 cyl * 5 heads * 17 spt * 42.7MB!!! - Produced in 21.01.1992. MDL: WDAC140-32M

http://redhill.net.au/d/18.php

More later.

Last edited:

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
This is just such an epic thread, Robert!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks stinger608 :)

Leonard Cohen - Dance Me to the End of Love

This week, the next episode: ATI special...kind of...my ordeals with ATI cards continue...8500/9500/9800

More later.

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Awesomeness :D And amazing :D

It seems that postimage.org is down. I dont know for how long. All the pictures in this thread have become inactive.

I knew this might happen but I hoped it will come at a later date.

I have a backup for all my pics and posts so there are no problems.

Until I decide what I'm going to do or postimage.org is back online, I suspend all the posting on the thread.

I need to change postimage.org into postimage.cc in all of the links....~ 4000 pictures....

Sorry guys.

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
That'll teach you for putting up such gorgeous pictures :D :(

Due to the problems related to the free image hosting site postimage I needed to update all the picture links on the forums I post. This took some time.

On TPU I spoke with one of the moderators but the way the forum is coded makes difficult to reset the editing timer. This meant that I could update only three posts from the first page. I've been told that reseting the timer on each post would be nearly impossible.

I have the time to update the links but until I can get in touch with someone on TPU that can solve this predicament if you want to see the pictures for all the posts above you will have to visit this forum:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=48835

From now on I'll try to also post links to a secondary hosting site. I dont think that TPU would need 3GB (and growing) of pics on their storage...

As soon as possible I will resume the regular program and I hope I wont have any more problems with the pictures. The way I do my work means that without pictures my posts lose much of their appeal.

Last weekend I got my A$$ in OVERDRIVE :D with Intel 80486 Overdrive / SZ959 / DX4ODPR100:D

I found the CPU without a heatsink and in bad shape, bent pins and the MOSFET was twisted and desoldered by a massive hit. On its forehead it was written: GOLD SCRAP! Good thing I found it before it got melted :D

I also found a sweet 80386DX 40MHz :D

See you laters dudes.:D

Shimmer - To Be As One

ATI special...kind of...my ordeals with ATI cards continue...8500/9500/9800

The title of this episode is self explanatory.

Yep. Plain and simple, me and ATI have started on the wrong foot. Back in '99 I bought a mighty Celeron A 366MHz and a 440BX motherboard model MSI-6154. The system came with an ATI Rage II C 4MB graphic card. Soon after I received my PC I saw how weak the RAGE II C was. I had a small budget and I didnt want to buy a K6-2 no matter what. Pentium II/III or a K7 were out of discussion. A year later, on my birthday I bought an ACorp nVIDIA VANTA 8MB and THAT was everything I wanted. Carmagheddon ran like a dream!

The differences between ATI RAGE II C and VANTA were like night and day. That was the first moment I really tasted what meant to have a 3D accelerator. It was AS GOOD AS IT GETS!. I will never forget that VANTA. A few years back I recovered my card from my cousin and now it sits in her box together with her sisters :)

As you probably have already noticed, you wont see too many ATI cards in my collection. Also they do not pop up at the flea market very often. This is why when I find them I buy them without having second thoughts.

After the ATI Rage II C moment I never bought an ATI card until this day. In the future I might be tempted to try an ATI, who knows. My bias toward nVIDIA cards and the cycle at which I purchased graphic cards, made that I only bought nVIDIA.

Cirrus Logic-ATI-nVIDIA-nVIDIA-nVIDIA-nVIDIA-nVIDIA-nVIDIA-nVIDIA.

The three cards I'm about to present are the result of three separate visits I took at the flea market this year.

1. Ati Radeon All-In-Wonder 8500DV 64MB
2. Ati Radeon 9500 64 MB - PN 109-94200-30
3. Ati Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB - PN 109-A09400-00

Ati Radeon All-In-Wonder 8500DV 64MB

This beauty caught my eye as soon as I noticed it. I lifted her from the rag it was sitting on and I inspected her thoroughly. It was impecable and for a very low price it was mine! . "Lucky" flea market find....yeah my A$$...pfffffttt...

At that moment I was 99.9999999% sure that it was working. What could possibly go wrong? such a nice and clean graphic card. A dumpster find usually isnt that clean.

I decided to clean only the heatsink and the fan and tidy up the PCB with a soft dry brush and a few cotton sticks dipped in isopropyl alcohol 99%. I wanted to preserve the markings on the top of the capacitors for the sake of authenticity.

The heatsink was held in place with thermal glue. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

After I cleaned the card I powered it up and I waited anxiously for the happy boot beep and a clear image.

The unthinkable became reality in just a few seconds. Check out those cool artefacts on the mighty 20" LCD. A+++

To make matters worse a burnt smell came from the area of the graphic chip ... :( the card still worked though...

Nothing more to add. Another one for the section of deceased cards.

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/1ktsn7ows/

gallery 2: 8500 AIW

Ati Radeon 9500 64 MB - PN 109-94200-30

I found this red card tossed in a dirty suitcase. Intially my pulse spiked as I thought it was a faster card but the label on the back soon brought me down to EARTH. 9500 NON PRO 64MB.

I placed it back in the suitcase and went away. Not long after that, I was back and bought it for a very low price. After I paid for the card, I had a feeling like the one you have when you buy something that in fact you dont want :D Obviously, higher forces were playing with me and were telling me to buy it :D . In the end it seems they were right after all...

The card was cleaned well. The testing session went smoothly. On the PIII-800 the card couldnt stretch its legs but the most important thing is that it is alive and kicking.

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/3bisokan0/

gallery 2: 9500 NP 64MB

Ati Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB - PN 109-A09400-00

I honestly dont know what I was thinking when I bought this card :D. I was attracted by the size, the silver heatsinks and the RED PCB of the damn thing.

I checked her for a while and I placed it back on the stand.

It was in a horrible state. Dirty, scratched, a capacitor was hanging for dear life, the heatsinks had bent fins, the fan was missing, ... in short: DO NOT BUY!

The only clean part was the area where the missing fan stood. I still wonder why people take the fans off electronics especially the ones with a proprietary design. MAN is a strange beast. This fact reminded me of the case of the motherboards I bought which were stripped of jumpers. What could you possibly do with a bag of jumpers???!!!

While I browsed the wares at the flea market I still thought of the BIG RED CARD. In the end I haggled a bit and bought it for a very low price.

So it was mine. Like glue BO$$!

Look at it! terrible, terrible, terrible :D

I used a dry soft brush to remove much of the dirt from the surface. I was very gentle with the card.

Next I tackled the cooling of the card. The BIG problem was the missing fan. The asymmetric holes where the original fan stood, already signaled the difficulties ahead. I scratched my head and I wondered how am I going to solve this ...

The heatsink was loose and after I removed it I saw the bent push-pins.

I washed the heatsink well and I straightened all the fins.

I didnt have a replacement for the missing fan so I started searching in my cooling BOX-O-PARTS. I stopped at a DeepCool V50 but I soon realised I couldnt use it as the original heatsink had a rised area that made contact with the die of the graphic chip. The flat V50 was of no use to me. I tried other coolers but to no avail. I didnt want to remove the silver frame from the graphic chip.

Hmmmm...it looks like I'm stuck with you...

I looked for a fan...and nothing fit.

In the end I decided to use THE LEGEND :D

At a first look it fit the bill. Silent and stronger than the original fan. It fitted with almost no room to spare.

I wanted to attach it with just a screw and this was a fail. Like i didnt know that...

Still searching for solutions I came up with the idea of "a frame" on which I can attach the fan and I wanted to make it from a sheet of aluminium. This would've involved too much work so I looked for alternatives.

I remembered I had a few sheets of thin textolite. BINGO!

To save time I wanted to make the frame in a triangle shape but that would've reduced the cooling capacity of the heatsink as the airflow woulnd't've reach the area under the fan. In the end I took the difficult path and I made three textolite extensions.

My first try was about 90% of what I wanted.

My second attempt was a WIN.

I searched for black screws and I used a black marker to conceal the "scaffolding".

The tolerances were small but in the end I prevailed. A JOB WELL DONE!!!

I returned the push-pins to their original shape. I used a pair of pliers and a couple of small pieces of textolite. I inserted the textolite at the base of the push-pins and with the pliers I clamped the tip. The brass was cooperative and I saved the push-pins :D

I soldered the capacitor, I used some Arctic MX-4 thermal paste and the card was ready for its test. (The capacitor had bent feet so I decided to attach it as well as I could for the testing session and after a successful run I was going to remove it and do a proper job.)

On the first power-up the fan wasnt running. WTH?!?!? The fan header was flipped. I put it in the correct position and the fan sprung to life.

Unfortunately the 9800 gave no signal on the ABIT SA6 and on the the i850 I received the beep code for VGA NOT DETECTED...

I tried to use a PCI video card and rewrite the BIOS-ul of the 9800. The PC refused to ouput a video signal on the PCI card when the ATI was used.

Not good...

Hmmmmmm..............

VGA NOT DETECTED? What if this is a case of a corrupt BIOS like the V4-L?

I searched for the BIOS chip and I soon found it: SOIC 8 - STMicroelectronics ST25P05 / ST25P05V6.

I tried to use a SOIC clamp from the TL866A package while the BIOS chip was still soldered on the board. Overcurrent protection kicked in. I knew this might happen. I could've tried to rewrite the BIOS with the card powerd-up but I feared I might damage the programmer. My instinct was telling me to try something else.

I found a site where it was suggested to cut a pin from the soldered SOIC 8 BIOS chip, rewrite it and make a small solder bridge to rebuild the contact between the cut pin and the PCB pad afterwards . Because of the small area I needed to make the cut, the lack of suitable cutting tools and horror images with ripped pads that came into my mind, I said F@CK IT! and I decided to remove the BIOS chip and do a proper job.

Like it was the case with the V4-L, I first tried to remove a SOIC 8 chip from a dead motherboard. The removal of the SOIC 8 chip was a breeze.

I did the procedure on the 9800 PRO. The removal, programming and soldering of the BIOS chip went smoothly.

Regarding the programming of the BIOS chip I have a few thing to report. At a first VERIFY the chip looked blank and I gave the ERASE command and it completed successfully. I searched the internet for a BIOS file using the P/N number and I couldnt believe how difficult it was. Luckily TPU/TechPowerUp has a BIOS database for graphic cards. I can find BIOS files for cards older than 20 years and I cant find suitable ones for newer cards...

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

Even with the help of TPU it was difficult to find a BIOS file for my model. In the end I reduced the search area to R350 / SAMSUNG memory and the stock frequencies for Ati 9800 PRO 256MB.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...&interface=AGP&memType=DDR&memSize=256&since=

As the card was most probably built by ATI I decided to use a stock image and I only found one.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/23/ati-9800pro-256-samsung22-030404

NOTE. During the programming of the BIOS chip I sometimes received the error that the chip isnt oriented correctly in the socket even if it was positioned correclty. This fact gave me food for thought that maybe the BIOS chip wasnt blank and the leftover solder on the tiny feet might've made that the chip didnt fit well in the socket of the adapter. But how did the VERFIFY and ERASE commands complete successfully?...

Lets return to the matter at hand.

I had the card ready and willing. The chances that it might work were pretty high.

Power-up....and.....NOTHING...no change... drat and double drat and even a triple drat...:D

Several days have passed.

I read many articles and internet pages. I searched high and low for other BIOS files but I couldnt find anything.

I found the P/N on a old russian site...

For a fact, the card didnt work from the start and maybe the BIOS chip wasnt to blame. I'm a little pissed that when I gave the ERASE command I didnt check to see if the BIOS chip sat perfectly in the socket. Maybe I could've recovered something from it..maybe the card had a bad flash and the chip was empty...assumptions... assumptions...

After a few more days of busting my brains I said STOP but I still tried one more thing. I read a few more reviews I decided to try another BIOS file, this time from GIGABYTE.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/70/gigabyte-9800pro-256-samsung-030523

I removed the BIOS chip, etc etc etc...

Unfortunately no change.

At this moment I SAID THAT'S ENOUGH! and I prepared the card for the final cleaning.

I used isopropyl alcohol 99% but the dirt was stubborn and gave me the middle finger so I used FAIRY and HOT water. And by HOT I MEAN REALLY HOT! :D

Finally I could see the RED FACTORY colour. F@CK YEAH! I LIKE IT! :D

After I used Fairy and water I also washed the card with isopropyl alcohol 99%.

FINAL RESULTS.

Yep my ATI ordeals are kind of real :D

From the 8500, 9500 NP and 9800 PRO, only the humble 9500 NP is alive and kicking. I wasnt expecting this. Even so the entire affair was a bitter pill to swallow...

The upside is that after this endeavour I still learned a lot of things. LIVE AND LEARN!

It is kind of scary how fast the information can disappear from the internet. In my attempts to recover the 9800 PRO the reviews were a valuable resource. Unfortunately on many occasions I was greeted by incomplete or blank pages, pictures that wouldnt't load, bad kinks, etc. We are speaking about a graphic card launched in 2003 and not in the 1990.

This is what it is and I cant change it :D

More to come.

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/190eaq02k/
gallery 2: 9800 PRO 256

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Such dedication!! Your an inspiration to us all!!

Remember guys, clean your hardware!! :)

As someone said about my "work" on another forum: WELLCOME to MY DUNGEON :D LOTS of TORTURE CLEANING AHEAD :D NEW VICTIMS AVAILABLE :D

Attachments

• PRW-CPUs-01.jpg
    PRW-CPUs-01.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 374
  • PRW-CPUs-02.jpg
    PRW-CPUs-02.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 369
  • PRW-WD-42MB.jpg
    PRW-WD-42MB.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 375
  • PRW-K7M-01.jpg
    PRW-K7M-01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 314
  • PRW-K7M-02.jpg
    PRW-K7M-02.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 345
  • PRW-V3-2000-01.jpg
    PRW-V3-2000-01.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 334
  • PRW-TNT2-01.jpg
    PRW-TNT2-01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 343
Last edited:
My FIRST fully fledged TNT 2

DIAMOND Viper V770 ATX AGP 32MB REV. B

This card is my first fully fledged TNT 2 complete in every way and in good working condition. I have another ELSA TNT 2 Pro graphic card, but it has a damaged memory chip and a missing bracket.

I was looking for some time for a TNT 2 but all I could find was the TNT 2 M64.

The TNT 2, TNT 2 PRO or TNT 2 Ultra, arent found so often at the flea market so my best chance of finding one was one of my vintage HW suppliers. Time passed and I found a TNT 2 at one of my contacts but at that moment I had other ongoing projects and I didnt want to buy it so that opportunity quickly evaporated. Several months passed and I went again at the flea market. Here I found two cards placed directly on the pavement. One made by Diamond and the other some forgetable brand. I took the Diamond in my hand, looked at it and I said to myself: what's this dreary old thing? I even didnt bother to look for the model number and I placed it back on the pavement. It was twisted, a little dirty and it had a black passive heatsink.

So I went ahead and browsed the market. As I didnt find anything else that caught my attention I went back to see the Diamond card. I took it again in my hand, took out my phone and I did a search..I couldnt believe my eyes. TNT ... 2 WTH?! That was a close one. :D I paid a low sum of money for it and it was MINE ALL MINE!

If it had a fan it would've been a V770 ULTRA. IF...

I polished the bracket. I used gentle persuasion to straighten the PCB and the bracket. Isopropyl alcohol 99%. 30 minutes later I got the desired results.

The test session was smooth. No stress. The card works like a champ. PIII-800MHz, Slot 1, 384MB RAM.

Short and sweet. Dont worry though, there are plenty of TL;DR episodes left all Robert B TM.

More later.

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/1hdxxmbm0/
gallery 2: V770 TNT2

Intel 486 O V E R D R I V E

The STAR of todays episode is none other than the Intel 486 OverDrive 100MHz CPU . The model number is SZ959 v1.1 for PGA168 socket 3. Not to be mistaken for the SZ957 which has 169 pins.

This CPU was offered as an upgrade option to slower 486 CPUs. The upgrade matrix can be found in the link bellow. Drop in replacement, a few jumper settings and you were good to go. In any case you can use this CPU with many socket 3 motherboards and not just as an upgrade option as stated in the upgrade matrix. It was destined for 5V motherboads lacking 3.3V CPU support. "The IntelDX4 OverDrive processor offers several new features not found in the IntelDX2 OverDrive processors. It has 16 KByte on-chip cache and the internal core operates at 3x (speed tripled) the external clock frequency. The underlying technology behind the IntelDX4 OverDrive processor is the IntelDX4 microprocessor core with on-package voltage regulation. This allows the OverDrive processor to plug directly into existing 5V systems."

http://www.cpu-world.com/info/80486/80486upgrade.html
http://www.cpushack.com/UpgradeProcessors.html

For some time I dreamed of a Pentium OverDrive. Along the three years since all this "retro" madness has started, I saw a handful of these CPUs but they were either too expensive or I didnt pay enough attention to them, so the opportune moment vanished into the great void beyond.

I was dreaming with my eyes wide open. Buying boxed OD CPUs at ebay prices was out of the question. For the price I would have to pay I could buy a lot more good stuff from the flea market or one of my local contacts and besides, where's the challenge in that? Bragging rights with boxed stuff :D (Do not be mistaken, I DO like boxed stuff but I'm not ready to pay THE PRICE.)

Lets get back to the story. Some time ago, I bought from the flea market nine CPUs and a 80386 motherboard with a soldered AMD 80386-DX40 CPU. The whole package was arround 24 EUR / 38 USD. Not bad at all.

I bought them from a group of gypsies and it required some negociation. How much are you willing to pay for them, give me X sum of money, buy them all, etc. In the end I took out a big banknote and bought a few CPUs, they gave me change for the banknote, 30 minutes later I was back and bought some more, negociation as they like it. I made sure they saw the contents of my wallet so they knew I meant business.

They tried to bump up the price in any way possible with stuff like they work, they are good for gold scarp, etc but I told them in a calm way: "Sir, if you would know as much as I do, about these CPUs that you are trying to sell, you wouldn't say anything more. You want to get as much as you can and I want to pay as little as I can." With this said I softened them up and I managed to pay a much lower price. :D The initial price was about 22 EUR / 34 USD for three ceramic CPUs.

THE LOOT:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ / AXDA1800DUT3C / 1533MHz / Thoroughbred - S462
AMD Duron 1.1 GHz / DHD1100AMT1B / Morgan -S462
Intel 486 DX4 100MHz / SK051 / A80486DX-100 - socket 3
Intel 80486 Overdrive / SZ959 / DX4ODPR100 / Ab252b03CC A4 33 - socket 3
Intel Celeron 1.1GHz/100/128 - SL5XU - Coppermine
Intel Pentium 133MHz / SY022 / A80502133 / Fb51b8bbAE
AMD K6-2/300AFR / 300MHz
Intel Pentium 166MMX / SL27K / A80503166 / E7249948BG
Intel Mobile Pentium 4 532 / SL7NA - 3.06GHz/1MB/533 - Prescott

Out of the "CPU pile" one stood out. The CPU with the banged MOSFET and the missing heatsink. It looked like a socket 3 CPU but I didnt see anything like that before. I examined the CPU and I searched on the internet the only clue I found: the string "Ab252b03CC" but to no avail. I was already cursing the gorilla that took off the tiny heatsink the easy way to determine the model of the strange CPU.

I knew that it might be an OverDrive CPU or something exotic but I had no clues at that moment.

When I got home I fired up my main PC and I searched for Intel OverDrive. Shortly, I reduced the search area to Intel 486 OverDrive. Then, I had to determine the frequency of the CPU. After a few hours of searching, reading and checking I found out that the only 486 OD CPU which didnt have markings on the three big ceramic capacitors near the banged MOSFET, is the 100MHz model. Next, I tried to determine the exact model of the 486 OD CPU I had. I had to choose between DX4ODPR100 and DX4ODP100. A simple pin count 168 vs 169 was needed to find out what I held in my hand. There are two kinds of 486 OD 100MHz CPUs which dont have markings on the ceramic capacitors: SZ959 si SU004. In the case of the SZ959 the string on the back starts with the letter "A" and in the case of the SU004 it starts with the letter "E". In conclusion there is a 99.99% chance that my CPU is DX4ODPR100 / SZ959 V1.1

http://brainstones.narod.ru/collection/intel_overdrive.htm
http://datasheets.chipdb.org/Intel/x86/486/applnots/29043606.PDF

Once I found out what CPU I bought :DI started to straighten the bent pins for all them. The only CPU that lost the fight is the 1.1GHz Celeron. It looked like it was stepped on and it was missing a few pins. The CPU lost two more pins after the straightening process. His story will be told in the ABIT SA6 episode.

DX4ODPR100

Not looking good. That thermal glue was giving me the finger across the room :D

First I removed the banged MOSFET. It was an easy job as it was held only by the three pins. The other part was separated.

After I removed the LT912 CM 9528 MALAY MOSFET I tackled the matter of the bent pins. The chances of breaking the pins while I tried to straighten them were pretty high and I took a moment to evaluate my options. First, I took a pair of fine pliers and I tried to move the pins. NO DICE! Next, I took a wide screwdriver with a regular head and I put it between the pins. With great attention and moderate controlled force, I twisted the screwdriver and I straightened the pins as best as I could. I had to refrain from a perfect result because the danger of breaking them was real. The results were above my expectaions.

Soon after this I had to solder back the MOSFET. I cleaned the old solder from the pads and I was ready to go. I quickly soldered the three pins but when came the moment to solder the other part of the MOSFET, I hit a snag. My 40W soldering iron was weak and the only other option was a 100W one. As the 100W soldering iron seemed to powerfull I search for other options.

I remembered I had a bottle of TOPNIK RF800 liquid flux. The lack of experience in soldering MOSFETs meant that my first try was a miss. I looked at a few more YOUTUBE clips and I was ready to try again. I placed the tip of the soldering iron on the metalic pad of the MOSFET and I waited until the flux started to bubble up then I added solder. After I saw that the solder was sucked up I removed the soldering iron and I waited for the area to cool. Afterwards I checked the strength of my solder job and I was quite pleased with the results.

My first MOSFET solder job COMPLETED!:D

THERMAL GLUE! A NIGHTMARE TO REMOVE!

I had to remove thermal glue a few times before but nothing like this.

I tried isopropyl alcohol 99% but it didnt work. I tried acetone but it didnt work.I tried paint thinner but it didnt work. I tried a fine screwdriver but the thermal glue was HARD and I could damage the surface of the CPU .

What to do?

I searched for alternatives. I stopped at a cutter blade and a bamboo stick. My trusty allies in hard times :)

When I used isopropyl alcohol 99% I saw that the surface of the thermal glue is a little easier to scrape off. So I placed the CPU in isopropyl alcohol 99% anywhere between 5-15 minutes then I took the blade and I scrapped off as much thermal glue as I could. Then I placed the CPU in alcohol again, took it out and I used the bamboo stick and I scrapped off as much thermal glue as I could. I did this many times.

At one moment I saw that the blade didnt remove as much thermal glue as before and to my amazement I saw that it lost its edge after a few uses. HARD STUFF this thermal glue! The bamboo stick didnt fare better either but it was the perfect tool to remove the last bits of thermal glue.

OBSERVATION. I used the blade to scrape off most of the thermal glue. To remove the last traces of thermal glue and for other fine operations I used ONLY the bamboo stick!

After almost three hours I managed to remove all of the thermal glue. I dont want to repeat this anytime soon you can be sure of that.

After I cleaned the CPU I had to find a heatsink. I wanted to use a stock socket 3 cooler (plastic frame+heatsink) but the three ceramic capacitors and the MOSFET stood in the way.

In the end I used another socket 3 cooler that had another retaining system. Where did I find this one? At the flea market of course :D A few months ago I saved it from a pile of junk. Everything is connected with an invisible thread. Bits and pieces of a bigger puzzle :D

PERFECT FIT I LIKE IT!

The CPU testing was done on a Jetway J446A v2.0 - SiS 496/497 motherboard.

I searched the manual for jumper settings but because it didnt specify a setting for a 100MHz 486 OD CPU, I used the settings for AMD 586-133MHz and P24D-66MHz CPUs to determine the exact combination required. Jumper settings, hmmm, serious business!:D

Running like a CHAMP! CPUID is 0480.

I used ARCTIC MX-4 FTW to cool the OD CPU!!! Way better than thermal glue that's for sure!

GLAMOUR SHOTS :D

All is well that ends well but didnt I forget something? Aaaaa...the pictures with the CPUs after I straightened all the pins :D The 486 OD stole my attention and I almost forgot about them :D

The OverDrive adventure was a bumpy ride but the result was PRICELESS. I wouldnt change a thing.

See you soon with the next episode(s) . :D There's plenty more to come. You can be sure of THAT!

More later.

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/2z1tfzpl4/
gallery2: 486OD

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Your posts @Robert B get better and better :)

I was looking about for some K6 2 things last night, man have those boards got expensive!! The CPUs are as cheap as chips but the boards well the board on ebay is like £180 plus postage!! Damn.. Will hold out I think.. I've spent far too much this last month!! :( Bad Phill :(