• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help 1070ti blower

sir_orrin

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, so don't judge to harsh, if I'm doing smth wrong.

The story: a week ago I got a new PNY
1070ti blower (it's mark 1 as I understand) to later build up a new PC. Meanwhile I decided to use it in my old one, the setup is: Core I7 2600, Asus p8h61-m pro, 8GB 1333mhz RAM, 700GB HDD, Everest 88Plus 700 (700w, silver). Latest BIOS, clean install of nvidia drivers etc.
HDMI connection to my TV (Full HD, 60mhz).

The problem: I ran into very strange glitches in specific gaming and other scenarios, played several games, results were very strange, for example:
- PREY (2017) - first day got some 1ms black screens in inventory, black-grey checkers in the corner of the screen. Some transparent black textures (dark glass, ammo counter on the gun) disappeared at a certain angle (only on 1 map tho). Later, all these glitches disappeared.
- Wolfenstein II (2017) - not a hint on glitches or whatsoever
- DOOM (2016) - also 100% fine
- Kingdome Come: Deliverance - overall low FPS (probably not the card), no glitches
- Battlefront II (2017) - a 1sec black to white fullscreen gradient after loading screen, some dust/snow going on in a character selection window. After 2 mins ingame, PC reboots.
UPD. Managed to get about 2 hours of playing on low without reboots, but at some point it did crash. On reboot error log states"Kernel-Power" - error 41
- When opening an app, or a website there can be a 2ms-1sec black screen, e.g. before loading Furmark, or when loading a level in a game.

In 2D there are totally no artifacts or glitches, except the blackscreens.

The testing: I've been through many runs of furmark, tho not for too long - no artifacts, or glitches. I've done some weird artifact test (some grey and white objects flying around) and also got nothing.

The Googling: I found out that there was some Micron memory issue (which is on my card), that got solved by a new VBios, that was developed by most vendors (not PNY ofc). I found a couple of VGA Bios for PNY 1070ti here, but they are for a 2-fan card and they are customs.

The techsup: In my country there are no PNY authorized service centers, so they didn't even try to solve my problem and ask me for any tests, or suggest a new BIOS, they just told me to send it to France and pay for the shipping and the return shipping if they find no problems with the card. The reseller suggested I send the card to him, but it's even more unlikely they will find these glitches, due to their situational and very specific origin. And again I pay for shipping, testing etc.

The quest: I would be very happy if someone suggested a software solution for this problem, give an opinion on other possible sources of this problem (e.g. old RAM, bad power supply etc.) or suggest a series of tests to specify the problem

Last edited:
System Name Burning a hole through my wallet
Processor 3700X
Motherboard Maximus 8 Hero
Cooling Custom loop (EK Extreme 360 Rad, Supremacy evo w/AM4 bracket)
Memory 2x16 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB @3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080s hybrid
Storage 960 Evo, 660p, P1, BX500, 2XWD Black, Ironwolf Proo
Display(s) Predator 27" 4k 144hz HDR
Case NZXT h700i
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Drop ALT W/holypanda switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64, Ubuntu 20.04, Manjaro (latest)
Double check your RAM/CPU usage, your 8 gigs of RAM might be the limiting factor, otherwise I'd try a BIOS from a different reference card with that micron fix only if you have a dual bios card (not sure why any reference card would) note that this will most likely void any warranty that you have and it's probably smarter to just send your card back.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

sir_orrin

Double check your RAM/CPU usage, your 8 gigs of RAM might be the limiting factor, otherwise I'd try a BIOS from a different reference card with that micron fix only if you have a dual bios card (not sure why any reference card would) note that this will most likely void any warranty that you have and it's probably smarter to just send your card back.
Thanks for the advice. The thing is, that I am 99% sure, that they will not find this issues when they test the card, so I'll just pay them for nothing.
This is in fact why I'd like to solve it all by myself and with the help of fellow users, as well as exclude any other possible factors as RAM for example.
As I'm pretty nooby in this hardware stuff, I am used to thinking, that only graphics card can be a source of artifacts and glitches. If not, I'd be happy to know, that it's just something about my old hardware.
So this BIOS is the same for any reference card equipped with Micron? I mean there is no need to take the vendor in concern?

This PSU is quite old, but there were no issues of that sort on my previous 570gtx, tho it required a 6pin+6pin, had 2 fans, and was built on an older tech process, and therefore had a higher energy consumption as far as I understand.

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Kingdome Come: Deliverance - this starts in windowed full screen by default that takes an average of 3-5 fps off, also I still dip into the 40's at night with lights on High 1440P with a 1080ti - it's a heavy game and many settings have very little difference between normal and ultra. So some tweaking might be in order.

Can you look at your event log - applications to see if an error was thrown when the PC rebooted?

It sounds like you might be getting the blink when the card is in exclusive full screen... when it's windowed then it's fine. For the games that are giving you issues while you're trying to figure it out they might work fine in windowed full screen - sounds like a driver issue when it tries to hand over.

Last edited:

sir_orrin

Kingdome Come: Deliverance - this starts in windowed full screen by default that takes an average of 3-5 fps off, also I still dip into the 40's at night with lights on High 1440P with a 1080ti - it's a heavy game and many settings have very little difference between normal and ultra. So some tweaking might be in order.

Can you look at your event log - applications to see if an error was thrown when the PC rebooted?

It sounds like you might be getting the blink when the card is in exclusive full screen... when it's windowed then it's fine. For the games that are giving you issues while you're trying to figure it out they might work fine in windowed full screen - sounds like a driver issue when it tries to hand over.
I can't seem to find any corresponding error in my event log. The only one that looks kinda there is "Kernel-EventTracing", "Circular Kernel Context Logger" stopped 0xC 0000188, tho it's hard to tell, this crashes happened yesterday, don't remember the time...

Last edited:
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
when the PC
I can't seem to find any corresponding error in my event log. The only one that looks kinda there is "Kernel-EventTracing", "Circular Kernel Context Logger" stopped 0xC 0000188, tho it's hard to tell, this crashes happened yesterday, don't remember the time...

Can you run furmark in exclusive full screen to see if the driver wigs out? Or heaven in exclusive full screen?

Inversely can you try to run the problematic games in windowed full screen to see if that fixes their issues?

sir_orrin

when the PC

Can you run furmark in exclusive full screen to see if the driver wigs out? Or heaven in exclusive full screen?

Inversely can you try to run the problematic games in windowed full screen to see if that fixes their issues?
I've always ran Furmark in exclusive fullscreen, there were no issues except this tiny black screen from time to time.
I have changed Nvidia Control Panel settings from "Image format" to "Fullscreen", launched Battlefron II on "low" and it didn't crash, don't know if it is connected tho...
Will try borderless mode

when the PC

Just got a reboot.
The code states "Kernel-Power" - error 41
There were almost no ingame issues, except the mentioned black screen and a couple of black stripes, as if the frame wasn't fully rendered

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Thanks for the advice. The thing is, that I am 99% sure, that they will not find this issues when they test the card, so I'll just pay them for nothing.
This is in fact why I'd like to solve it all by myself and with the help of fellow users, as well as exclude any other possible factors as RAM for example.
As I'm pretty nooby in this hardware stuff, I am used to thinking, that only graphics card can be a source of artifacts and glitches. If not, I'd be happy to know, that it's just something about my old hardware.
So this BIOS is the same for any reference card equipped with Micron? I mean there is no need to take the vendor in concern?

This PSU is quite old, but there were no issues of that sort on my previous 570gtx, tho it required a 6pin+6pin, had 2 fans, and was built on an older tech process, and therefore had a higher energy consumption as far as I understand.

Okay your psu was brand new when the 570gtx video card was out, it is no longer brand new, the gpu you have in there currently has different power requirements and also you have to take into account capacitor aging, they get weaker over time...

Replace that potato psu.

Current is what is getting higher on gpus

Last edited:

sir_orrin

Okay it was brand new when the video card without it is no longer brand new what's a video of car do you have in there currently different power requirements and also you have to take into account capacitor aging they get weaker over time
Thank you, I think I will get a new PSU just to be sure, tho I actually compared (as far as a noob could) my old gtx570 and my new gtx1070ti, and both stated "500w PSU required"...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Thank you, I think I will get a new PSU just to be sure, tho I actually compared (as far as a noob could) my old gtx570 and my new gtx1070ti, and both stated "500w PSU required"...

Current (Amperage) requirements are different.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
yeah psu if it just powers off like that.