• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HELP!! 2nd Raptor X dead in 3 months?? :@

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

My Raptor X 150Gb has bitten the bullet though I have no idea how, basically I noticed win 7 getting slower booting up the last few days and turned my pc on Wednesday after work, it was really slow getting past the windows loading screen and then when it got to the welcome screen it just said "configuring windows ..." for about a minute before rebooting

Upon the reboot it told me that the boot manager needs repairing and I need to insert the Windows 7 disc to do a start up repair, well I have done that and I managed to get it to boot into windows but its painfully slow. I am currently in safe mode as it keep saying the same thing when I try and get into windows normally "windows is configuring"

I have ran HD Tune and the smart info is showing as failed under "Raw read error rate" Now, luckily all my data is on my Samsung F1, what I am wondering is could this be somehow just a corrupt windows installation because of some failed update that is causing the drive to act like this ??

Basically I can see the drive seeking for about 5 seconds and then it stops for about 10 seconds before it starts to seek again, which looks like the reason for the slow boot and system, its the same when opening up any program it seeks for 5 seconds then stops for 10 before carrying on, making it nigh impossible to run any big sized program or even download and browse the web :banghead:

If I have to RMA (again) do you think WD would give me either a 1tb black/blue or 2x 640gb drives instead if I asked being as this is my 2nd raptor x in a few months and I really dont want another replacement :cry:

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
damn intel that sucks! i had a raptor 74gb drive and i had to RMA it 3 times in a row and the last time i got it back i instantly sold it without taking it out of the box.

The first one worked for a bout a month then it was randomly freeze trying to seek info then i RMAed that one and got back one that was DOA then RMAed that one for another drive that started doing the freezing again. i got smart and bought a 400GB seagate 16mb cache/7,200 RPM drive from a guy on anandtech and had no problems out of it.

the raptor series drives were very crappy to some people

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

Just benching it with HD Tune now, basically its reporting the same as I described, 5 seconds of activity the 10 seconds of nothing, anyone think this could be cause of my fubarred OS? I suppose I could just format and install 7 and see how that goes, but it will piss me off royally if I have to do that and then have to install on my samsung anyway cause its the drive.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
do you have any other drives layin around besides those? if you do, then install another one then format it then install a small os like XP and do some extensive tests on the raptor

System Name Beast
Processor Core i7 10700K 4.5GHZ 24/7
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
Cooling Master Liquid 240
Memory 32 gigs DDR4 3600Mhz Gskill RipJaws
Video Card(s) AMD Raedon 5700XT
Storage 1TB Samsung NVME, Western Digital 4TB storage
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" HD
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1000 Watt full modular
Software Win10 ENT 64Bit
I bet it's the drive I had the same problem a month ago on one of my rigs that folds. Sent it in via RMA, when the new one came back I reinstalled win7 and it has been working fine for the last several weeks. I'm just knocking on wood this one lasts longer than 4 months......:) If it doesn't I will do the same thing Brandon said and sell the damm thing when it comes back from RMA.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you believe the drive may be going run WD DLG test on it.
It will even print out a RMA sheet, if you want.
:)

System Name buckwheat
Processor 4770k
Motherboard GIGABYTE
Cooling h60
Memory G.SKILL 2x4gb
Video Card(s) asus gtx 760
Storage samsung 840 pro 128gb
Display(s) x-star 27'' 1440p
Power Supply PC POWER & COOLING 750w
Software windows 7 x64
use Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows and you can try hd tune if you see any errors then you know the drive is bad

Carl2

If your running in the safe mode I thought the drivers were not loaded. I remember a video card I used before installing the drivers and the difference after installing the drivers.
Carl2