• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HELP - 9600GT VoltMod Problem

Skitzo

I tried to do the vmod with a pencil but it didn't work. I don't really want to void the warranty if the mod won't work. I need to make a temp connection for testing. Any ideas? with vid 5 shorted, i need to short vid2 to bump it up .05V (1.20V)

System Name Sonny Boy
Processor i5 11600K 4.9GHz @ 1.35 Vcore
Motherboard AORUS Z590 Elite AX
Cooling Deepcool Gammix 240mm AIO
Memory 4 X 8GB Teamgroup DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3060 Ti GDDR6X
Storage Adata Legend 1TB
Display(s) Philips 27" 4K
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I tried to do the vmod with a pencil but it didn't work. I don't really want to void the warranty if the mod won't work. I need to make a temp connection for testing. Any ideas? with vid 5 shorted, i need to short vid2 to bump it up .05V (1.20V)

Yup. VID5 and VID2 shorted. VID3 and VID4 open. = 1.2V.

There is a great guide here on this forum that shows all the options.

Let us know if your OCP creates issues at 1.2V. The best bench to cause failure according to my experiments is Firefly Forest in 3DMark06. Lot's of shader work and my voltage measurements indicate the Vcore peaks during this test. Put it into a continuous loop on that test and if the OCP is marginal it should show up within a couple of hours.

Skitzo

any ideas on a temp connection?
wonder if an aligator clip and a piece of wire will work. i know, don't short anything else ... lol. There has to be a way...:)

System Name Sonny Boy
Processor i5 11600K 4.9GHz @ 1.35 Vcore
Motherboard AORUS Z590 Elite AX
Cooling Deepcool Gammix 240mm AIO
Memory 4 X 8GB Teamgroup DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3060 Ti GDDR6X
Storage Adata Legend 1TB
Display(s) Philips 27" 4K
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2
Software Windows 11 Pro
any ideas on a temp connection?
wonder if an aligator clip and a piece of wire will work. i know, don't short anything else ... lol. There has to be a way...:)

Sorry. I'm replying to you in 2 different threads :)

Temporary hmmmm.... I have always used a soldering iron but obviously that voids warranty.

I have heard some people use the conductive ink for repairing rear windshield defrosters. They claim it comes off with a little isopropyl alcohol (on the ink that is... not down the gullet :)

Skitzo

no worries

lol i'm asking in two threads so ... yeah I was looking at the repair kit(rear defroster auto) The one I found looked like copper not silver. I think it was 12.99 for 15 ml. I can get a 250 ml bottle of silver conductive paint for 30.00. Wonder if there are any major diferences aside from color and price.:)

Skitzo

whanna know whats odd skitzo? when i was swapping out 9600's to get sli to work..i kept getting BFG obviously...but i got a card that had a blue PCB was stock at 1.15v and the cooler was like b4 release cooler...instead of shiny metal it was like ..matted black paint...and do you know on the top side of the cooler how it says nvidia and has the logo printed on the side in chrome? ya didnt exist..it was the oddest card i ever saw so i spoke to bfg and he said he had no idea he ahd never seen it b4.

cool, still have it?:)