1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help for another noob!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by capnblinski, Aug 28, 2012.

1. capnblinski New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all -- new here to the forums as a poster.

My question is I've been searching around for a replacement motherboard. I have a 2000 era E-Machines 400ix tower that originally had an Tri-Gem Florida TG Micro-ATX motherboard installed that has finally bit the dust. The tower was upgraded throughout its life with a Seasonic PSU and a DVD drive and cooling fans. It ran XP Pro like a breeze. Not wanting do ditch these parts that are still good, I've been searching for a replacement MB -- preferably one that has the processor already installed so I can just pop it all right in. I've searched for this kind of motherboard and haven't found one that is suitable -- in other words basic and inexpensive, as I use that PC for basic tasks (no gaming etc.) Any help pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. Peter1986C

Peter1986C

Thanks Received:
    In that case (see quote) you are looking for embedded hardware, onto which it is tricky to install regular PC parts (hard drive, cd drive etc) due to lack of connectivity and it will most likely not run Windows except for motherboards based on intel Atoms etc. (but those are laptop parts which don't fit in a regular PC case).
    What other parts do you have? If it is all stuff with PATA connectors, AGP graphics and DDR RAM you will have difficulties getting a suitable board (apart from your weird wish for an embedded CPU) and even if you find one it will cost you dearly if any of the parts like the graphics card or RAM breaks (stuff fitting on an old school board gets rare and pricey).

3. capnblinski New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's what I decided to do - using my original case add:

1. BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

To that add a:

2. Intel G530 CPU 2.40 GHZ 2M CACHE 2.4 2 LGA 1155 Processor (BX80623G530)

and a:

3. Compatible SATA hard drive, very basic, don't need anything huge.

and then:

4. Add a basic DVD drive/burner.

This way I utilize the existing case, fans, and the nearly new Seasonic PSU. Seemed to me that a MB that already has a CPU installed would be the way to go but from researching further, found that the above MB/CPU has a reputation as a good combo. I was originally thinking that an MB with a CPU already installed would be one less step in installing new guts in the case.

So I end up with an up to date tower for less than the cost of a new one, thus saving money and impact on the environment.

How does that sound?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  4. Peter1986C

Peter1986C

Thanks Received:
    No worry, we get the "environment" thing. :) You could also consider selling working parts you won't use anymore on the buy/sell/trade section of this forum as well. The same section might provide you with a nice motherboard/CPU combo as well.

But: Biostars are generally consuming relatively much as far as I know, compared to slightly more expensive boards and I question the reliability.
    The CPU should suit your needs well and consumes quite little.

Anyway, another list of what you will need:

- CPU
    - M-ATX Motherboard
    - Hard drive
    - RAM (you forgot about that)
    - Operating system. Your OEM key for your Windows XP won't be valid anymore, so you will need to either choose for a Linux based OS or buy Windows 7.
    - (optional) optical drive

Pro-tip: please tell me in what country you live (because of availability and pricing of hardware) and what your budget is.

capnblinski says thanks.
  5. capnblinski New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh ya the memory - forgot to add that in my last message. I picked out either two or four gig that is compatible with that BioStar motherboard. And I have an OS - Vista Home Premium - would prefer Windows 7, but Vista will do. The BioStar has received some pretty good reviews here on Amazon - but as you said, a slightly more expensive board may be better for reliability.

I've budgeted about $150 or so for all the parts, maybe a bit more once I get the optical drive (a DVD burner).

I'm in the USA.

Mange Tak!

6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the forums, Capn. :toast:
    If you get a moment, go into the UserCP and enter your system specs. It will save you a lot of time in the future if you need assistance on your rig.

7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I would atleast get a I3-2100 so u can have HT. 4 threads will help alot better than the Pentium series.

capnblinski says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    capnblinski says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. capnblinski New Member

Thanks Received:
    This rebuild is just going to be the most basic of setups in my old case - something for the grand-kids to use when they come over etc.

I don't game or do anything power-intensive - but I will say my main PC here runs very fast. The internet and most programs open and run nearly as fast as changing a TV channel. Also, I keep my eye on the task manager at all times.

10. Peter1986C

Peter1986C

Thanks Received:
    An E-450 in combination with Vista will be bad for that amount of money. I remember running Vista on a Turion64 TL-58 and that did just cut it (Aero etc off). The Celeron 530 that has been mentioned here (combined with a ~70 dollar middle class board) might be cheaper altogether and will be better suited for Vista.

The E-450 board mentioned could be a good Ubuntu/Mint/Debian system though.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    capnblinski says thanks.
  11. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Cool deal, welcome to tpu..
    Don't stress putting in a cpu too much. Really it's no harder to do than building the rest of the rig..
    We have tons of articles about how to do each and every thing you could possibly imagine.
    Not to mention members on hand who are as knowledgable as any programmer/hardware designer, you could ever meet.
    Just be smart, calm and thorough.. If you stress out.. Step away for a bit.

capnblinski says thanks.
  12. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    capnblinski, Norton and m1dg3t say thanks.
  13. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i guess you should replace the processor, G530 is kinda old, you could take i3 or AMD
    newer processor would give you better performance and features

btw how much your budget, so maybe the other could suggest another stuff for your budget

capnblinski says thanks.
  14. capnblinski New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you all for your helpful replies. The upgrade board(s) sound good. BTW my budget is about $150 - $175. I will look into your suggestions and let you know what I decide on. May be a few months as I am purchasing a new camera and that will be all I spend on electronics for a while. Until then, and in the future, I will make this my 'go to' site fore computer tech questions, answers and research!