1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help for new Ryzen builds / Windows 10 / Bsods / NVMe

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jhelms, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Jhelms

Jhelms

Thanks Received:
    I wanted to write this as to help others that may find themselves in a situation I did.

Symptom:

- When I first built my ryzen based PC a few weeks ago, I had a LOT of bsods. The PC was not able to update windows as you end up with a crash before updates could install. Installation was from an original build of windows 10 I bought new on a disk. The other factor in this is that I am using an NVMe drive - not sure how much that played a part but I did use samsungs latest NVMe drivers which made no difference with the poor stability. I added the NVMe part to the title of the thread since I am not quite sure how much of a factor it was and want it to come up in a search for others.

Resolution:
    - After messing with the PC for a few hours trying to nail down the instability (diving into ram timings, and everything in the bios + going through drivers), I decided to axe the old version of windows 10 that came on the disk and install whatever the latest version of windows 10 pro 64 was - figured start at the foundation and work my way up. Anyone can do this by creating a USB installation drive. You have to do this through windows media creation tool located here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once I had the very latest version of windows on my ryzen system - I have had perfect stability - zero issues in any respect.

In short, do not try to install from old media - install from whatever the latest is from microsoft and then use your windows key to activate. Simple as that.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    psyko12, springs113, Recca29 and 3 others say thanks.
  2. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    You're awesome dude. Many thanks!

Jhelms says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Same thing happened to my 1700 build, it took the creators version on WIN10 to get everything loaded without a hitch.

psyko12, Recca29 and Jhelms say thanks.
  4. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Good point. My main rig has an older build of win 10 because I own the OS on a thumb drive. I had no issues myself but I did notice this the other day that my build number is a lower number compared to my other PC with Win10 which has a free copy of windows downloaded directly from Microsoft.

I almost reinstalled windows to get the newer build and just use my store bought key but like I said; I have had no issues so why waste the time.

Jhelms says thanks.
  5. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Earlier builds shouldn't hurt performance right? I mean once it is fully updated it should be the same as a newer build correct?

6. Norton

Norton Moderator & WCG-TPU Captain Staff Member

Thanks Received:

FYI- that ram may have some stability/BSOD issues after awhile at 3200. My ram, which is similar to yours, did 3200 initially but wasn't stable under load after a couple of days.

2933 seems to be the sweet spot for it according to the memory QVL for your board
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#Memory

Mine is currently solid as a rock at 2933

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Jhelms

Jhelms

Thanks Received:
    I will keep an eye on it - appreciate the heads up. So far so good (fingers crossed). I was running it at 3330ish at 1.4v for a while but things just did not seem right. It would pass prime 95 and memtest without fail but on a cold startup I would get a bios boot loop 2 times as the system was detecting instability. Once all was up and running, the boot looping would stop but something was amiss as the next day it would start happening again at first boot. I put it back to 3200 / XMP profile and 1.35V and all has been rock solid. Well, rock solid for the last 2 weeks since I dialed everything in.

8. Recca29

Recca29

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the heads up. Starting on a Ryzen 1700 build myself.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    @Jhelms tooked you some time to write this. Effort appreciated.
    C'mon dude. I have been a noob since forever, you get new parts and dont start with a fresh os?
    Thats the first thing that i do with a new computer. Format all, fresh everything

10. Jhelms

Jhelms

Thanks Received:
    You did not understand or read the post properly. It was a fresh build / new installation. However the "new" windows 10 installation media was an old build.

psyko12 says thanks.
  11. er557

Thanks Received:
    @Cvrk : Not necessarily, if you know how to tweak your OS and servicing stack. I first installed vista in 2008, and that installation has been in-place upgraded several times to windows 8.1 and 10 and went thru three builds and motherboards, never fresh install up to now!!, I simply cannot deal with reinstalling all the software and games and what have you.
    And guess what, not a single stability issue ever, except some sfc corruptions here and there.