• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[help] How to lower voltage on Ryzen + MSI motherboard?

Processor Reasonably good Intel CPU
Motherboard Eh, the cheapest ATX that supports the processor
Cooling Big ass Noctua always a good thing to have
Memory Cheapest 32GB kit for my needs
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage NVME 2x, SSD 2x, HDD 1x
Display(s) Dual monitor 1080p for life!
Case NZXT Flow
Audio Device(s) ALC something-something
Power Supply Good ol' Corsair
Mouse Good ol' Corsair
Keyboard Cheap Logitech wireless keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm very new to AMD overclock, well actually my last overclock was Celeron 366... So I'm really in the dark with Ryzen overclock.

I wanted to peg the processor at 4.1GHz all cores, however I have a peeve about power usage. I use power saving mode daily, with about 60 watt of power on browsing and office work. Blindly overclocking to 4.1GHz with just changing multiplier and setting CPUv to 1.35v my PC now uses about 70 watt of power doing the same thing.

I noticed the system doesn't lower its voltage on power saving mode and checking on MSI board forum it's a quirk of the BIOS that the CPUv is fixed like that, so I cancel my overclocking effort. However a couple months back MSI updated the BIOS with something called offset which I assume allows for lowering voltage when not needed. I tried overclocking again and tinker with the offset options to no avail.

Anyone knows how to overclock Ryzen on MSI motherboards and have it lower its CPUv on idle/low power usage?

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
Reset the bios settings to default
Change your memory to its XMP profile
Change windows power plan to balanced
You now have auto overclocking power saving rig

Case NZXT Flow
Mouse Good ol' Corsair
Software Windows 11 Pro
Reset the bios settings to default
Change your memory to its XMP profile
Change windows power plan to balanced
You now have auto overclocking power saving rig
Thanks, I did that, but my processor isn't idling properly. On stock setting, power saving mode gives me stable 2.2GHz at 0.8v (monitoring through CPUID HWmonitor). On balanced or AMD Ryzen Balanced powerplan, the processor speed is jumping up and down with CPUv up to 1.425v which stabilizes once I start game or any heavy load apps.

Balanced power plan idle:

1.jpg

Power saver plan idle:

2.jpg

Since I linked my intake and exhaust to CPU temp, it ramps up and down incessantly

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
I noticed the system doesn't lower its voltage on power saving mode
It happens when you choose to do a manual overclock. It's not the MSI motherboard but the AMD Ryzen, if you choose to do manual overclocking it disables Cool n Quiet.

Just don't OC?
You've pushed the clocks and now you're trying to lower idle power consumption, because your biggest concern is power draw. That's a very bizzare thing to do.

If you really need to OC (for whatever reason) why not switch the mode when it makes a difference? I assume you're using the PC for many things and just some of them benefit from higher clocks.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
The only way to keep cool n quiet with a manual overclock is to use ryzen master, with a manual overclock the vid should lower when there's low load on the cpu (confirm using cpuz) though the cpu clock will stay at its maximum. Using xfr and pbo your chip should auto clock up to around 4.1-4.2ghz and then lower the clocks at idle, though as you've noticed the vcore spikes higher than if you set a manual overclock, this could be small ms increases that won't affect your overall temps or power usage though you should note the vcore in cpuz when utilising all cores to see what your vcore is under load using xfr and pbo for max clocks then choose to keep it that way or revert back to your manual overclock.

Case NZXT Flow
Mouse Good ol' Corsair
Software Windows 11 Pro
It happens when you choose to do a manual overclock. It's not the MSI motherboard but the AMD Ryzen, if you choose to do manual overclocking it disables Cool n Quiet.
I re-enable Cool n Quiet on BIOS side. Speed drops on idle, but voltages stays the same. I'd rest my case and not overclock if this is just the way it is.

Just don't OC?
You've pushed the clocks and now you're trying to lower idle power consumption, because your biggest concern is power draw. That's a very bizzare thing to do.

If you really need to OC (for whatever reason) why not switch the mode when it makes a difference? I assume you're using the PC for many things and just some of them benefit from higher clocks.
I did. I use power saving mode on doing productivity stuff and switch to Ryzen balanced when playing games. My assumption is that the overclock works on one power mode and the other drops the power usage.

The only way to keep cool n quiet with a manual overclock is to use ryzen master, with a manual overclock the vid should lower when there's low load on the cpu (confirm using cpuz) though the cpu clock will stay at its maximum. Using xfr and pbo your chip should auto clock up to around 4.1-4.2ghz and then lower the clocks at idle, though as you've noticed the vcore spikes higher than if you set a manual overclock, this could be small ms increases that won't affect your overall temps or power usage though you should note the vcore in cpuz when utilising all cores to see what your vcore is under load using xfr and pbo for max clocks then choose to keep it that way or revert back to your manual overclock.
I use a watt meter to measure power usage from the wall, on average there's an increase of 10% power usage when overclocking all cores to 4.1 GHz. Switching to power saver mode drops and caps processor speed at 2.2 GHz, but v core stays at 1.35V.

I just watched Der8auer video about Ryzen overclocking though... And he didn't recommend it. Well, I guess with my current usage scenario his video rings true. A marginal improvement, with higher power consumption. Back to stock we go.