1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me choose a budget monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Valenciente, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Valenciente

Valenciente

Thanks Received:
    Hi TPU,

My birthday is coming up, and I'm considering getting a new monitor, so I can finally get me some full HD resolution, over my current 1680x1050 monitor.

I'm somewhat torn between a 22" LED monitor and a 24" LCD monitor though, both from BenQ, and would like some opinions on these, and others in their price class if you think there are any better choices.
    I'm mostly interested in whether the extra 2 inches on the 24" would be worth it, over the 22" LED. I'll be using it for gaming, and not much other than gaming.

BenQ G2222HDL @ 895DKK ($170) on www.komplett.dk
    BenQ G2420HD @ 1095DKK ($208) on www.komplett.dk

Comparison site

I live in Denmark, so please keep in mind that I'll not be able to use anything like newegg, or buy from another EU country as shipping costs would probably not be worth it.

Thanks! :eek:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    IMO the 2 extra inches is totally worth it if you don't mind losing the LED backlighting. I generally play on my triple 24"s and I couldn't use anything less now. I do actually prefer one very high resolution screen (27-30"), but my main setup is the eyefinity. LED backlit LCD's are awesome though. If you want a more accurate color display then go with the LED. It's all preference and budget here.

Valenciente says thanks.
  3. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    Valenciente says thanks.
  4. Valenciente

Valenciente

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for recommending the Samsung seronx :)

I'm still not too sure whether I should go with a 24" inch LCD or a 22" LED. I think I'd appreciate the bigger screen more than accurate color display if I have to be perfectly honest. And as my current screen is also 22", I'd like a bit more than "only" a resolution upgrade.

*scratches head* choices, choices..

I'm going to be sitting around 40cm from the screen, would one option be preferable over the other, keeping this in mind?

5. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=627388

You can go for this 24 inch LED

Valenciente says thanks.
  6. Valenciente

Valenciente

Thanks Received:
    'aye, I'd like to keep the price around 1000DKK though.. I'm poor student xD
    Guess I'll just have to decide whether or not LED is worth the extra cash.. Which is hard I might add xD

7. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    IMO LED is worth the cash, for slim profile, better whites, colors and brightness, way less heat, and way less power usage. They're just much much better.

Oh - and nice avatar. Big Hellsing fan

Valenciente says thanks.
  8. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Get the 22" LED monitor. By this time you should be getting the LED-backlit monitors now, considering they're not as rare now compared to 3-4 years ago.

Valenciente says thanks.
  9. Valenciente

Valenciente

Thanks Received:
    Seems like getting LED is the way to go, so I'll be doing that. Thanks everyone :)

I'm finding it rather hard to find a review of the Samsung SA300B's; anyone able to hook me up with one? It doesn't matter if it's the 22" or 24" version, as I'm yet to decide if I have the extra cash for getting both LED and 24".

Or would other people rather get the BenQ 22"? I'm a big Samsung fan, so I'm just making sure I'm not jumping ship, just because I see their name xD

10. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you get a DELL U2311 in Denmark? that's one of the best 23" monitors on the market

Valenciente says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Martine

Martine New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it's best that you spend a few more euros (or whatever you have) for something that you will realy enjoy, rather than trying to save money and say after a year:''Ohh, if only I bought that...''
    I have bought a tablet that was cheap. Worst spent money ever -.-

Valenciente says thanks.
  12. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i have personally tried 24-26-32 inch screen all to big so i jumped down to 21,5inch that's enough for me ^^

and when u think about it u can have around 2 LED screen and only use the power of one LCD.

Valenciente says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    I haev the G2420HDBL from Benq (24 inch LED version) got it cheap last year. It's a great screen but I haven't used many others so I don't have much basis for comparison. It's been out a while now so maybe you can pick it up cheap.

No HDMI input, though (the LCD version does have one).

Valenciente says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Valenciente

Valenciente

Thanks Received:
    I could probably go for the DELL U2311 which I can get for ~$340 in Denmark.

I'm not too fuzzy really, the main reason why I want to upgrade from my current monitor is because of it's lower resolution. IPS panel would be quite nice though, so I'll definately consider trying to save up a bit more money for that.

On another note: Would the 8ms response time of the Dell give me ghosting in games? Granted, I don't really play any fps games, but I do enjoy some nice fast-paced driving games now and then. (The revies on flatpanels states that it isn't much of an issue if you don't play fast-paced shooting games, but I would like to hear if any users have some experiences with that?)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  16. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an old TN Acer with a response of 8ms and I didn't see any ghosting while playing games. Anyway I read somewhere that the human eye doesn't see a difference between 2ms, 6ms, 8ms,12ms.We aren't robots or machines lol

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    Valenciente says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU