• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me choose some headphones

Cexyjoe

I'd skip the Loki personally, but for FPS games plus a great all arounder I would go with HE-4XX. i run my HE-4XX with my magni 3 on high gain around noon - 100 volume set in windows connected to modi3
I play on ps4 though so I was just gonna have it connected optical and then have the modi connected to the Magni and then play ?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I play on ps4 though so I was just gonna have it connected optical and then have the modi connected to the Magni and then play ?

yeah optical from PS4 works great too

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Awesome ! So HE-4XX With Magni And modi would be a perfect setup the. ?

Let me play some FPS games tonight with my Magni 3 and Modi 3 + HE-4XX, HD58X, and AKG K7xx - I'll report back tomorrow.

all 3 are excellent in their own right just fyi. but let me check on FPS just to be certain. I own all of them already.

The only thing I use at the PC are wireless headsets.... every time I'd get up t take a bio or grab a snackie, I'd have my head twisted around, standing up with the wire bringing me up short. Been an audiophile most of my life till last couple of years. Never was much for headphones, but late night gaming keeps everybody up. My son had a $300+ pair of Senns and he yanked out the cables and rather than let me fix, he sent out for a repair. While they were gone cupla weeks he used a G930 wireless one and got so used to it that he bought one of his own and the Senn's basically sit there unless he's laying in bed. There's too many differnces inw hat people are looking for but ya can't go wrong with Senn's for fidelity ... and except fr the stoopid LEDs on the 933's, they're one of the best bargains out there. I won't use wireless KBs / mice but will never have another wired headset.

Cexyjoe

Let me play some FPS games tonight with my Magni 3 and Modi 3 + HE-4XX, HD58X, and AKG K7xx - I'll report back tomorrow.

all 3 are excellent in their own right just fyi. but let me check on FPS just to be certain. I own all of them already.
Please do :)

Cexyjoe

Were you able to check them out ?

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Motherboard MSi H110-PRO-D
Cooling LC-CC-95 @ Arctic Cooling fan
Memory 2X Crucial DDR4 2400 4GB
Video Card(s) Integrated HD 610
Storage WD 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB + Toshiba 3 TB
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Manhattan Flex BT Headphones, Encore P-801 stereo speakers
Power Supply Corsair CX450M
Mouse microsoft office mouse
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores gorstak @ hwbot.org
The only thing I use at the PC are wireless headsets.... every time I'd get up t take a bio or grab a snackie, I'd have my head twisted around, standing up with the wire bringing me up short. Been an audiophile most of my life till last couple of years. Never was much for headphones, but late night gaming keeps everybody up. My son had a $300+ pair of Senns and he yanked out the cables and rather than let me fix, he sent out for a repair. While they were gone cupla weeks he used a G930 wireless one and got so used to it that he bought one of his own and the Senn's basically sit there unless he's laying in bed. There's too many differnces inw hat people are looking for but ya can't go wrong with Senn's for fidelity ... and except fr the stoopid LEDs on the 933's, they're one of the best bargains out there. I won't use wireless KBs / mice but will never have another wired headset.

I have difficulties finding some decent rf headphones...all I find are bluetooth, and I'm not happy with that

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Did you have time to try all three and see which was better for FPS ?

Sorry I forgot to report back! HD58X was best for gaming and music actually, I like them better than the HD6XX/HD650/HD600 as well. the HD58X really has its own sound signature, lot of people say it sounds close to a HD660S but with more sub bass... so yeah I probably am retiring from the hobby this year, been loving my HD58X for awhile now. might ask my parents for some Dekoni sheepskin pads for them for my next bday

Cexyjoe

So the jubilee over then both ? Alright I’ll look into it. What does those pads do for it

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So the jubilee over then both ? Alright I’ll look into it. What does those pads do for it

I have no idea yet that is like a year away still before I look into replacement pads, but stock pads will wear out in around 1-2 years, so I just want a spare set of earpads. Dekoni measures everything so I trust them to not mess up the sound on it.

Yep, the Jubilee is pretty special headphone. Needs an amp though if you don't already own one, I recommend magni 3 and modi 3. that is what I am using. honestly even my schiit lyr 3 didn't sound all that much better than my magni 3.

Depending on your budget, but here's my top two:

1. Sennheiser HD280PRO - great frequency, sound, and comfortable
2. Shure SRH1540 - with a higher price, but very lightweight and comfortable, and sound is just amazing.

Anyway, for other great headphones here's an article I saw with a great list: https://whoishuman.io/best-studio-headphones/. A selection for studio headphones, but that what makes their quality topnotch.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
I can't really say I've invested any amount of money significant enough to be labelled an "audiophile", but IMO the Audio Technica ATH-M40X and Beyerdynamic DT770 are two very good choices if you like a reasonably balanced sound without breaking the bank. Both will be rather "unremarkable" if you come from bass-heavy gaming headsets, but you might soon find that music will quickly usurp gaming as your top priority, without the usual edgy Razer or Steelseries soundprofile raping your ears with bass. M40X is more balanced (and pleasant IMO) than the M50X that everyone and their grandmother has.

I have the stock velour pads on the DT770, which are comfortable enough. The DT990 might be a better choice if you are solely after home use, as the open-back can actually afford it some measure of "soundstage" as opposed to closed headphones like the DT770 or M40X. As for the M40X, they are my preferred portable listening method; I put a pair of custom ZMF cowhide pads on them and they are incredibly comfortable, especially for the mobile use for which I use the M40X.

System Name The Shroomiest One!
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock x570 Taichi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 2x16gb T-Create Expert 3600C14
Video Card(s) NVidia RTX 3090 Founder Edition
Storage WD_BLACK SN850X 2tb, 2 x Team Group MP34 4tb
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B
Case Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply EVGA 1000w Supernova
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
CB97C670-CCD4-4B62-9B0D-23CFA226E95C.jpeg

This what has happened to me. I’ve become a junky. Monoliths argons fostex sennheiser akg and Audio-Technica . I’m making my own cables now. Modding them, it doesn’t end. My favs are my argons and m1060c that are modded to open backs with custoM headband. For gaming the akg k7xx are the best I think

System Name mult1kill
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.7
Motherboard GA-AX370-GAMING 5
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Team Group 32gb 3200mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 2060
Storage Seagate 3TB+ Corsair 120GB SSD+120 ssd smansung 256gb m.2 Samsung 970
Case NZXT S340
Audio Device(s) Sundara JDS Labs Atom
Power Supply FSP HydroG 850W
Mouse WMO
Keyboard Ducky Shine 3
Software Windows10
I LOVE the AD700 for gaming especially FPS, lots of soundstage, easy to drive, and super comfortable BUT no bass, very little. I have the original pink ones. I also have Q701 which was such a great neutral headset it was hard to upgrade from them. I knew I always wanted the HE400's but can never afford them, then I got the HE4XX FANTASTIC upgrade as I was wanting some bass with my soundstage. The AD700 is still the best with soundstage. The best all-rounder to me has to be the HE4XX, but you lose a bit of soundstage, but these cans are fantastic. Most comfortable AD700 easy, best details Q701. that's just me though

the HD58X I heard were also pretty amazing, I would go for those and save some money

System Name The Shroomiest One!
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock x570 Taichi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 2x16gb T-Create Expert 3600C14
Video Card(s) NVidia RTX 3090 Founder Edition
Storage WD_BLACK SN850X 2tb, 2 x Team Group MP34 4tb
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B
Case Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply EVGA 1000w Supernova
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I feel the same, I’ve got the ad700 for gaming but the k7xx was a step up from those. My he4xx are great specially after a pad swap. The m1060c blew those away in every aspect. I got the 58x just to see what the hype was and now those are my portables. I like my modded fostex t50s so much that when I found out about the argons, I bought the txo massdrop and sent them to modhouse to mod. Worth every penny and with a good amp they are also great for gaming. They have amazing sound stage for a closed back headphone. It’s really become an addiction. Between headphones and amps and dacs it’s never ending. One day I will find my end game combo but not anytime soon.