• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me, I'm a VGA BIOS n00b

T

TheWildMan2000

I have an OEM ATI-brand 9700 pro. How to I find out the core clock, memory brand, etc? Is it all just printed on the card?

Frozen

The stock speeds are 325/310. Its probably got Infineon RAM that is crappy (maybe you got lucky and have samsung). The memory speed is ont the chips.

T

TheWildMan2000

Update: I looked under the cover and discovered I have Samsung memory. Plus, I used an ATI utility to discover what bios version I have. But going back to the BIOS Collection page on this site two different downloads listed the same BIOS version. One for "Samsung 2.6" and the other for just "Samsung" under the memory category. How do I know which one I have?

Thanks,
-Robert Lee

Frozen

Look on the chips. Thats the only way to really find out.

T

TheWildMan2000

Writing on chips:

Samsung 235

K4026323RA-GC2A

(in much smaller writing) WFE033FD KOREA

since it doesn't explicitly say "2.6" or "2.8", should I go with the generic one?

Thanks for the help,

-Robert Lee

T

TheWildMan2000

I'm getting some major video card problems. I built the comp over the summer and all worked find until I got to college two weeks ago. I was running Far Cry and Halo perfectly but when I installed Rogue Spear (a really old game) the game crashed to the desktop leaving strange colors all over the place. I soon discovered that restarting and reinstalling windows didn't fix the problem (I even tried the video card in another comp and got the same problem). I'm assuming that the video card's either shot or the BIOS is screwed up. So I'm just trying to flash the BIOS with the same old version I have incase there's an error in it.

Also, since I bought the card OEM, it looks like I have no warranty with ATI... which sucks big time.

Frozen

i think that the card is shot....flashing may actually make the problem WORSE.