1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me spend some $$!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by nocrapman, Sep 18, 2017.

1. nocrapman

Thanks Received:
    Hi folks,
    I haven't built a system in the last 5 yrs.

I need to build something for my 8 yr old - for homework, browser based - light gaming (nothing graphics heavy) learning websites and word processing.

Budget - 1K
    Small form factor or better still something interesting case wise would be good. Space is not really a constraint - but don't want to stick an ATX in his room.
    AMD or INTEL - don't care.
    Somewhat capable enough to last the next 4-5 yrs till he asks for a more capable machine.
    Will need wireless internet (inbuilt in the MOBO would be great).

Thanks for your help/recommendations!

PK

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    Would Suggest you Aquire a S/H ex office System (they are usualy Bargin priced ) and Spend some money upgrading that :)

qubit and nocrapman say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. nocrapman

Thanks Received:
    Nice idea but I will be using this opportunity as a project that the two of us do together.
    And I don't want to deal with some dusty old dell.
    He has been using my aging AMD rig, which on a good day probably still outperforms those office systems.
    Worst case scenario, I will just upgrade the MOBO/CPU/RAM and add a flash drive for bootup.
    Absolute worst case scenario - I will get a low end iMAC and upgrade that (my wife would prefer that) - cause its white and a single box solution.

AlienIsGOD and dorsetknob say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    You could use a Rebuild to educate him So later when he has learned he can do it himself
    Its a practical thought worth considering and it would be hands on Experience for him and you
    Throw in some web browser Shopping reserch for suitable parts and prices
    that ground him with other needed skills

qubit and EarthDog say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. flmatter

flmatter

Thanks Received:
  6. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    I'd wait till christmas for Raven Ridge APUs and skip the GPU until it's needed.

Otherwise you can bump it up to R3 1200 and GTX1060 and call it a day.

This board fits at least by a few parameters you've mentioned: small, cool looking and has a built-in WiFi adapter.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Later you can pimp that rig with an R7 and a beefier GPU, so it'll last another 4-5 years.

INSTG8R and flmatter say thanks.
  7. nocrapman

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. azngreentea01

Thanks Received:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sR4X8K
    This would be my ideal 1k and would last to 4-5 years or more.
    I didnt add power supply because your old still work. Also, i would wipe the 1 tb hdd for gaming and storage, while using the samsung ssd to boot.

nocrapman and thebluebumblebee say thanks.
  9. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    From the looks of your system specs, you used 5 year old parts even then. Thinks have changed.
    Because ODD's are becoming a thing of the past, cases are getting smaller, even an ATX one. Maybe check out the size of the Fractal Design Define C to see what I'm saying. (there is the Define Mini C that's made for uATX motherboards) If this is a project that you and your son will do together, I suggest starting with picking a case. Maybe he'd like one that will look nice with RGB lighting.

FYI:
    A good deal on a PSU ($70) which ends at midnight tonight: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-550FX 550W 80+ Gold.
    I recommend the Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" drive, with its 5 year warranty (and it happens to be on sale right now)[/QUOTE]

Norton and nocrapman say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    By your description, a good priced low cost Laptop or even a good Tablet would work. most tablets have word processing now and can have a physical keyboard accessory. and the ecosystem of apps and games imo beats the PC's ecosystem for 8 year olds.

plus, it probably won't cost 1k so you can upgrade yours with what's left

nocrapman says thanks.
  11. nocrapman

Thanks Received:
    Thanks much!
    I am definitely thinking about a Ryzen 5 build. Have not completely ruled out a Kaby Lake for another $75. I would love to support AMD as in the past, but the price difference seems to have shrunk at the top.

I might add a power supply from Seasonic. My current rig (not in the specs) has been rock solid.
    Have the graphics cards become super expensive en masse or have I been away too long? I would prefer something less pricy since I don't game anymore and he does very basic flash based gaming (as long as I have a say!).

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the suggestions and links!
    I have not updated my current rig specs - its an i7 3600 overclocked system and has been rock solid over the years.
    Since I don't game anymore - I might not need anything faster for years! With video/audio encoding it does well. For RAW pic PP - it could be faster, but that more the SATA drive than the rest of the system.
    I will look up the fractal design cases. Hopfully the smaller boxes will accept the Seasonic PS, cause I am thinking of placing an order for the above 2 items that u linked.

This case appealed to him with the rgb fans. I like that they have a controlled for the fans and light intensity?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=corsair_crystal-_-11-139-092-_-Product

I don't like the price - seems overpriced?
    Is there something similar and more compact out there?

He already has (limited) access to a tablet. And they use them at school.
    Tablets have unfortunately become entertainment units for kids and adults alike.
    I am trying to teach him to sit at a desk - read/write and type and maybe even use a mouse sometimes - all skills that seem to be dying!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Good decision. forget what I said, get him that PC. He is a very lucky boy :rockout::rockout:

Just a heads up though, as soon as he finds out that he has a more than capable rig in his room, he might do more than just light gaming there!

13. nocrapman

Thanks Received:
    That is true...
    However thats where Aunt Kaspersky (Nanny software) comes in handy. That said, I might have to uninstall it and replace it, in case the Russians are really upto something!

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. azngreentea01

Thanks Received:
    since you are not gaming as much. I would just get gt 1030. I would still get the Ryzen 1700 - 289 dollars for 8 cores.
    I update to a new part.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mrKFjc

nocrapman says thanks.
  15. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    That case is indeed very expensive.

But, I did make a PC Part Picker build for you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PhCBCy

I did go over your budget by $12, but that was to get you the case your kid wanted.

EDIT: I also made sure to include a copy of Windows for you. :)

nocrapman and dorsetknob say thanks.
  16. nocrapman

Thanks Received:
    You guys rock!
    I am tempted to go with Ryzen 7 1700 for an extra $100. Is it worth the extra 2 cores?
    Probably not for the intended purpose?

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    Here's a bit more balanced option. $15 over budget, but there are some things that can be cut/postponed/replaced:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yc3fwV

Ryzen 5 1400 / 16GB RAM / NVME SSD / GTX 1060 6GB.
    All in a stylish mini-ITX case with a decent modular 80+ GOLD PSU.
    You can also drop Windows and build an Ubuntu-based Steambox. Lots of fun and a slight headache at the end guaranteed! :laugh:

He may not need it, but if you are willing to spare a bit more cash, why not? It will only ensure that the PC will last longer.

nocrapman says thanks.
  18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B4RfwV

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JHVtZ8

Those 2, you can always upgrade or downgrade the ram speed, video card, HDD/SSD

nocrapman and dorsetknob say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  19. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Almost all cases take the ATX PSU's, like that Seasonic. Some of the smaller (mITX) cases take SFX PSU's. There are some other PSU form factors, but they are rarely used for desktop systems.

Also, instead of individual posts, please use the Multi-Quote button, or simply Reply to one post, respond to it and then hit Reply for the next post you want to respond to. Or edit your previous post.
    The 2 hottest things in cases today are Tempered Glass panels and RGB lighting. Put the 2 together and you see what happens to the price. You should be able to take a cheaper case and add RGB lighting and fans, but that can add up pretty quickly. I'm not into RGB, so I don't really have a suggestion for you for a case.
    Yes. Mining has inflated their prices.

nocrapman and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. ikeke

ikeke

Thanks Received:
    nocrapman says thanks.