• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Needed: Gigabyte GV-R687OC-1GD BIOS

zujik

[Solved] Help Needed: Gigabyte GV-R687OC-1GD BIOS

Hi. I have done something stupid and flashed the wrong BIOS to my Gigabyte GV-R687OC-1GD and now it goes to a black screen and freezes when the card is accessed.

I just complete my Crossfire and build and have a Sapphire 6870 which was running loud. I saw a BIOS update for it which apparently helps it (it does) and downloaded it to a USB DOS bootdisk. I ran the update batch file and it reported everything ok. I rebooted and went to load a game and it froze.

I rebooted to the USB stick and ran the batch again, where it reported OK again. BIG MISTAKE.

I went online and found this site, where I read up on the atiflash tool. I then went to the batch file and found two problems:

1) It was hardcoded to flash the first adaptor, the Gigabyte, not the Sapphire.
2) It first backed up the ROM to a file with a hardcoded name.

The first time I ran it overwrote the Gigabyte BIOS. The second time it overwrote the saved Gigabyte ROM with the new, but incorrect ROM.

I tested the Sapphire by itself, works fine (and after flashing the fan noise is quieter), but the Gigabyte by itself freezes to a black screen when accessing GPU-Z or anything GPU accelerated.

Can anyone please upload the GV-R687OC-1GD BIOS? I tried other 6870 BIOS files but they end up the same, not to mention they are programmed to default 6870 speed.

I am usually good with this stuff but was rushing to get back to some gaming. I have tried everywhere, including browsing the Gigabyte download FTP, but I cannot find the BIOS.

Any help, or suggestions, would be grealty appreciated. I assumed, even with the wrong BIOS, that the card would still work ok, just at the default speed. Is there a command line I missed? Cleaned the drivers and reinstalled, no dice. Black screen when anything accelerated is attempting to run.

Thanks for your help.

(And yes, I should have backed it up, no-one is kicking my butt more then me!)

Last edited:

zujik

All fixed now. Seems either I saved the BIOS via the Gigabyte atBios tool for the VGA or it magically saves it when first run. I just opened it to see if it could find a BIOS and noticed a Backup.rom file. Reflashed via atiflash and the card is working, and identifying, as the Gigabyte GV-R687OC-1GD again.

Currently copying some files to the new installed machine, I will upload/submit it for anyone else interested when I get a chance.

Thanks for reading anyway.

System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair HX850