1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help overclocking and unlocking a GTX 480

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by monohouse, May 2, 2012.

1. monohouse New Member

Thanks Received:
    have a small snag overclocking this card above 880 Mhz at 1.075V (afterburner), if voltage is any higher the card will go into half-speed mode (400 mhz at 0.963V) as soon as heavy load is put on it (atitool artifact scanner) and stay on that half-speed mode until the computer is restarted (rivatuner reload driver function doesn't help recover it), what is/maybe going on ? (water cooling, gpu temps at load are below 50C)

and by the way, is it possible to flash a Tesla BIOS onto a GTX 480 to unlock the compute performance ?

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    The driver crashed/OCP kicked in, and won't load into normal clocks until you restart windows thereby restarting the driver. It's probably not a BIOS thing, you're probably at the limit of the chip or the VRMs...

But there is OVP free firmware:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-251935.html

That might help, good luck!

monohouse says thanks.
  3. monohouse New Member

Thanks Received:
    honestly I am a little afraid of removing the overcurrent and overvoltage protections for another 100 mhz not something that is worth the risk for me, but now I know what is happening, I would have wished to be able to adjust the OCP/OVP thresholds instead of completely disabling them :)

I should explain what I mean when I mention the Tesla BIOS, from wikipedia:
    I am wondering if anyone had done that before and had any luck unlocking this double precision performance

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. Athlon2K15

Athlon2K15 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    Im pretty sure the tesla card all have more Vram so it would take a custom bios to work correctly

10 Year Member at TPU