• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help overclocking and unlocking a GTX 480

monohouse

have a small snag overclocking this card above 880 Mhz at 1.075V (afterburner), if voltage is any higher the card will go into half-speed mode (400 mhz at 0.963V) as soon as heavy load is put on it (atitool artifact scanner) and stay on that half-speed mode until the computer is restarted (rivatuner reload driver function doesn't help recover it), what is/maybe going on ? (water cooling, gpu temps at load are below 50C)

and by the way, is it possible to flash a Tesla BIOS onto a GTX 480 to unlock the compute performance ?

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
have a small snag overclocking this card above 880 Mhz at 1.075V (afterburner), if voltage is any higher the card will go into half-speed mode (400 mhz at 0.963V) as soon as heavy load is put on it (atitool artifact scanner) and stay on that half-speed mode until the computer is restarted (rivatuner reload driver function doesn't help recover it), what is/maybe going on ? (water cooling, gpu temps at load are below 50C)

and by the way, is it possible to flash a Tesla BIOS onto a GTX 480 to unlock the compute performance ?

The driver crashed/OCP kicked in, and won't load into normal clocks until you restart windows thereby restarting the driver. It's probably not a BIOS thing, you're probably at the limit of the chip or the VRMs...

But there is OVP free firmware:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-251935.html

That might help, good luck!

monohouse

honestly I am a little afraid of removing the overcurrent and overvoltage protections for another 100 mhz not something that is worth the risk for me, but now I know what is happening, I would have wished to be able to adjust the OCP/OVP thresholds instead of completely disabling them :)

I should explain what I mean when I mention the Tesla BIOS, from wikipedia:
In the more expensive "Tesla" configurations, the chip features optional ECC protection on the memory, and can perform one double-precision floating-point operation per cycle per core; the consumer GeForce cards are artificially driver restricted to one DP operation per four cycles.

I am wondering if anyone had done that before and had any luck unlocking this double precision performance

Last edited:

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
Im pretty sure the tesla card all have more Vram so it would take a custom bios to work correctly