• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

(Help) Repurposing old home theather system to PC

System Name The Berserker Armor
Processor Ryzen 7 7700x
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling CORSAIR ICUE H150i RGB ELITE
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16GB 6000mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 4070 Ti
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1tb, Samsung 980 1tb
Display(s) LG 27GL850-B 144hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow Black + 3x SP120 fans
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold GX-850
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Rgb Pro
Keyboard Corsair K60 Rgb Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
So a friend got old sony bdv e6100 home theater, the bluray is broken but the speakers are okay. I'm thinking of buying the speakers and repurpose them for my PC home theater.
From my understanding if I were to connect them with PC I have to wire them in 3.5mm jack to mobo, you can check my spec.
- Front R+L - green plug
- Rear R+L - black plug
- C+Sub - orange plug
Is it just as simple as this? Will windows automatically detected them to 5.1?

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Not that straight forward I believe,

Processor Ryzen 7 7700x
Software Windows 11 Pro
Not that straight forward I believe,
The indicator plugs on mobo look so obvious so I thought i could just do it straight away. So what do I need? some audio decoder?

HumourMe2

Direct from the motherboard moves decoding to the motherboard sound chip and assumes that your speakers are powered (I think). That's something I didn't need to consider as I repurposed an old AVR system. PC specific speakers may be an alternative to consider. If I'd known about this at the beginning it is probably the route I would have chosen. I think you need (powered?) speakers and/or a DAC or a repurposed AVR. Possibly DACs can power unpowered speakers. Not sure that this is a thing I just know there are two types.

In order of quality I believe (and I could be completely wrong and it is subjective anyway) that HDMI>SPDIF>Motherboard Analogue.

However, HDMI has a slight GPU/Processor hit and depending on source, different behaviour with less software control in some cases (it might just be my setup). SPDIF supports fewer uncompressed formats but has less computational over head and I'm beginning to move towards considering this as a compromise, since getting a widescreen monitor and playing a CPU intensive game both of which taxed my PC. Motherboard analogue needs compatible speakers. Audiophiles might notice a different quality. I've not tried this.

I can only describe where I've got to by trial and error.

I ran a hdmi cable to an old AVR and set it up as a fake monitor. Displayport goes to the real monitor. I have configured the AVR fake monitor to be ignored by the mouse using 'Dual Monitor Tools' and have it positioned imaginary top right just in case that doesn't work.

In Windows sound manager you then need to configure the AVR device as 7/5.1 speakers, pretend they are full range. This should allow encoded sound (Dolby/DTS) supported by the device to go straight through for decoding (bitstream). If the format is not supported Windows will revert to PCM. Then when this is all working you get to go down the rabbit hole of potential pre-encoding to a preferred format.

Processor Ryzen 7 7700x
Software Windows 11 Pro
Direct from the motherboard moves decoding to the motherboard sound chip and assumes that your speakers are powered (I think). That's something I didn't need to consider as I repurposed an old AVR system. PC specific speakers may be an alternative to consider. If I'd known about this at the beginning it is probably the route I would have chosen. I think you need (powered?) speakers and/or a DAC or a repurposed AVR. Possibly DACs can power unpowered speakers. Not sure that this is a thing I just know there are two types.

In order of quality I believe (and I could be completely wrong and it is subjective anyway) that HDMI>SPDIF>Motherboard Analogue.

However, HDMI has a slight GPU/Processor hit and depending on source, different behaviour with less software control in some cases (it might just be my setup). SPDIF supports fewer uncompressed formats but has less computational over head and I'm beginning to move towards considering this as a compromise, since getting a widescreen monitor and playing a CPU intensive game both of which taxed my PC. Motherboard analogue needs compatible speakers. Audiophiles might notice a different quality. I've not tried this.

I can only describe where I've got to by trial and error.

I ran a hdmi cable to an old AVR and set it up as a fake monitor. Displayport goes to the real monitor. I have configured the AVR fake monitor to be ignored by the mouse using 'Dual Monitor Tools' and have it positioned imaginary top right just in case that doesn't work.

In Windows sound manager you then need to configure the AVR device as 7/5.1 speakers, pretend they are full range. This should allow encoded sound (Dolby/DTS) supported by the device to go straight through for decoding (bitstream). If the format is not supported Windows will revert to PCM. Then when this is all working you get to go down the rabbit hole of potential pre-encoding to a preferred format.
Im sorry i don't quite follow the later technical explanation but the speakers don't have external power cords, they simply powered by 2 wires plug that connect to the BDplayer, only the sub has power cord. After I converted the plug to 3.5mm jack I tested directly on my phone and it worked as it is. As for the 5.1 system, it just worked straight forward on PC. About quality I think they're satisfying enough to my ears for watching movies or gaming. Although my friend said the sounds was quite low not as loud as with original HDMI arc from BDplayer. Probably can fix it with software sound booster something like that.