• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Resurrect RX5700XT

Ennoch

So about a month and a half ago My GPU (Sapphire Nitro+ RX5700XT) stop posting in the bios. I have a MSI gaming edge wifi that shortly after updating bios stopped reading my card. I was hoping it was an issue with the bios and tried rolling back the bios and changing the settings on the MB but to no avail. I have to secondary MB to test this VGA on but I do know the GPU fans/lights do turn on and the GPU core still heats up even though the MB is not detecting it. I have tried air blowing cleaning the card and have lastly cleaned with alcohol and am waiting for thermal paste and pads I ordered to come in before retesting again. There is no sign of any apparent corrosion or short/blown circuit/fuse. This I couldn't really tell until I had thoroughly cleaned off all the paste and pads. I Would just buy a Nvidia 3070/3080 to replace as those are around the same price point when I bought this one almost 2 years ago. But with market as it is I cant justify buying a card not only over the price of what I lost to be comparable but as muck as 200% msrp. Any ideas that could help me at least get the MB detecting the card?

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
Less than 2 years old then RMA.

Ennoch

Less than 2 years old then RMA.
I don't have any of the original packaging which I bought through amazon so I do have the receipt but wouldn't dismantling card and cleaning it void the warranty? Besides that, I have rarely had a positive experience with any form of warranty and found that there is always some reason they give as to why they would not honor or assist with a given issue. If at all possible I would like to fix my self. I have experience with repairs from vehicles to cell phones and AC units. Just looking for some insights as to what may be the cause given it still turns on but doesn't post.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
I don't have any of the original packaging which I bought through amazon so I do have the receipt but wouldn't dismantling card and cleaning it void the warranty? Besides that, I have rarely had a positive experience with any form of warranty and found that there is always some reason they give as to why they would not honor or assist with a given issue. If at all possible I would like to fix my self. I have experience with repairs from vehicles to cell phones and AC units. Just looking for some insights as to what may be the cause given it still turns on but doesn't post.
Not a problem unless you botched it. RMA if you think it's the card and not anything else like mobo or PSU. I imagine you paid good money for that card and it came with a warranty.

Ennoch

this is from sapphires site

(The limited warranty does not cover products that the user has disassembled. GPU or ASIC devices (VGA) are sensitive to thermal (heat) issues. The heat sink has been designed to meet the requirements to ensure reliability of the product. Any warranty is rendered invalid if the product has been dismantled or the heat sink has been removed as this may cause damage to the GPU or ASIC device. Non-compliance will cause the warranty of the product to be void and repair will be at the users cost.)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
this is from sapphires site

(The limited warranty does not cover products that the user has disassembled. GPU or ASIC devices (VGA) are sensitive to thermal (heat) issues. The heat sink has been designed to meet the requirements to ensure reliability of the product. Any warranty is rendered invalid if the product has been dismantled or the heat sink has been removed as this may cause damage to the GPU or ASIC device. Non-compliance will cause the warranty of the product to be void and repair will be at the users cost.)

Ok RMA the card then, dont take it apart.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
sapphire is the absolute worst when it comes to RMA.
the sticker on a screw (even if the other one is still fully intact) has a TINY scratch?
better get a lawyer... we ain't gonna give you a single cent and you pay for the shipping.

i'd just send a mail with the date of purchase and explaining that the card is still "intact" and you never accidentally touched a sticker with a single skin cell.
maybe they even bother answering...

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
My question is were is the OP from ?, if the US isn't the sticker against the law to use to void a warranty ?.

Ennoch

So I found one of the fuses with a bad solder on it idk, if it blew or not but I had some other older GPU's on hand and replaced the fuse. The issue now is when the GPU is installed the pc doesn't even turn on. This is most likely a safety issue as when the fuse is disconnected the PC turns on with no post from GPU. And, when the fuse is installed the PC wont even start to boot. That rules out the power supply as when other cards are installed the PC does Boot. Also boots with no GPU. I am guessing to figure it out I would need to get a test bench, an OHM-meter and figure out what all the reading should be to be able to actually fix it. Most likely it is a short somewhere on the GPU board. I am in Tampa FL btw. Sapphire would not RMA it. Thinking I might just wait till next year when GPU's are a reasonable price again.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I am guessing you didn't read the OP....

Yes I did fyi, if you have the OG reciept that is your proof. Box it up in a antistatic bag and bubble wrap.

sapphire is the absolute worst when it comes to RMA.
the sticker on a screw (even if the other one is still fully intact) has a TINY scratch?
better get a lawyer... we ain't gonna give you a single cent and you pay for the shipping.

i'd just send a mail with the date of purchase and explaining that the card is still "intact" and you never accidentally touched a sticker with a single skin cell.
maybe they even bother answering...

Really!? Ive never had a problem with Sapphire RMA dept. Ffs they give out bios files when requested.