• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help [system crashes after long gaming]

wrx264

I need some help with my computer. When i play any high graphics game my system crashes or just restarts. Some games are like Halo, Far Cry, and Driver 3. The problem is that the games play for about 5-10 minutes but then my computer restarts or locks up. Why does this happen somebody help. I have a Radeon 9200 SE 128 and a P4 2.8Ghz processor with 512 ram. Could this be some type of overheating problem even though i have 2 fans and a system blower right next to the Graphic card.
Could the problem also be with my motherboard because it is kind of cheap as i only got it for $50. It is a PcChips M916 motherboard.

Overheating is possible. Though I suspect your PSU. Even though your 9200 shouldn't be very powerhungry, could you post PSU specs?

You could use your favourite tool to check CPU temps (MBM, ATitool, etc) or actively cool your 9200.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
please use a more meaningful title next time

wrx264

DanTheBanjoman said:
Overheating is possible. Though I suspect your PSU. Even though your 9200 shouldn't be very powerhungry, could you post PSU specs?

You could use your favourite tool to check CPU temps (MBM, ATitool, etc) or actively cool your 9200.

My system temps are about 40C and i do not think it is my power supply as it is a 400 watt power supply, i do not know the company.

Last edited:
Even the cheapest 400Watt supply should be able to power your system, unless it's defective ofcourse.
Did you check temps during gaming as well?

If it's not overheating or the PSU it could be a software problem, try using a drivercleaner to remove your current drivers and reinstall them.

wrx264

DanTheBanjoman said:
If it is memory related, download memtest86 and test, just google for it.

Nothing in my computer is overclocked. I have also just run the memtest86 and i get like 6 lines of errors what does this mean, what is defective.

Memtest tests... well memory. If you have multiple modules remove one and test again. If not try to borrow a module form someone to test. The memory is most likely defective.

wrx264

I need help again. I tested my ram in another computer and i had no errors what does this mean. My ram is alright so what is the problem.

SupaMan04

Same thing

Hi. I've been lurking Google for awhile now, and have found little help for the M916 motherboard. I've had this machine for over a year now, through ENDLESS fiddling/fussing, and am having the same problem as the original poster.

I think, after all this time, I'm making progress.

Before I start, I have a very similar setup to the other guy:

PCCHIPS M916 mobo

1 gig RAM

Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb

At first I thought it might be memory related, but my memory seems to be just fine. Pretty much the other big option is heat. And it IS heat-related. When I take this huge room fan blower thing, prop it up on something and BLAST it into the open case, the crashing subsides or stops completely.

The CPU gets very, VERY hot during gaming.

So I thought, "alright, that's it. it's just overheating."

I forgot, though, that all this time, I have NEVER been able to enable AGP acceleration!!! AT ALL!!!

I looked around for an ALi 868Pro AGP driver (ALi 868Pro is the chipset the M916 uses), with no luck. I installed a generic ALi AGP driver, and nothing changed.

I believe this is key. With no AGP acceleration, most of the rendering stress is being pressed onto the CPU . . . am I right? If not "most", then at least "too much". This would explain the crashing.

Note that there is NO option in the BIOS settings to enable or disable AGP acceleration.

However, in the specs of the mobo, it says it supports AGP 8x.

This is the extent to my research. I need to find some way to get AGP acceleration running. I think this is the key to everyone's problems with the M916 . . . THAT and something is up with the USB function. I don't completely understand . . .

any help with the AGP problem??

wrx264

SupaMan04 said:
Hi. I've been lurking Google for awhile now, and have found little help for the M916 motherboard. I've had this machine for over a year now, through ENDLESS fiddling/fussing, and am having the same problem as the original poster.

I think, after all this time, I'm making progress.

Before I start, I have a very similar setup to the other guy:

PCCHIPS M916 mobo

1 gig RAM

Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb

At first I thought it might be memory related, but my memory seems to be just fine. Pretty much the other big option is heat. And it IS heat-related. When I take this huge room fan blower thing, prop it up on something and BLAST it into the open case, the crashing subsides or stops completely.

The CPU gets very, VERY hot during gaming.

So I thought, "alright, that's it. it's just overheating."

I forgot, though, that all this time, I have NEVER been able to enable AGP acceleration!!! AT ALL!!!

I looked around for an ALi 868Pro AGP driver (ALi 868Pro is the chipset the M916 uses), with no luck. I installed a generic ALi AGP driver, and nothing changed.

I believe this is key. With no AGP acceleration, most of the rendering stress is being pressed onto the CPU . . . am I right? If not "most", then at least "too much". This would explain the crashing.

Note that there is NO option in the BIOS settings to enable or disable AGP acceleration.

However, in the specs of the mobo, it says it supports AGP 8x.

This is the extent to my research. I need to find some way to get AGP acceleration running. I think this is the key to everyone's problems with the M916 . . . THAT and something is up with the USB function. I don't completely understand . . .

any help with the AGP problem??

Well the good news is that i found out what the problem was. The problem was nothing else than my graphic card. It might have something to do with heating but i figured out that the graphic card was messed up. After continuing to use my comp for a while the graphic card started making lines and squares. I got a new geforce and it works perfectly fine. By the way i could enable the acceleration on my mobo and also change the speeds.