• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help undervolting i7 8750h Throttlestop

pechtowerup

Rare to see an 8750H that is 100% stable with the cache set to more than -135 mV.

The TS Bench test will report errors fairly quickly when the CPU needs more voltage.

Use Cinebench R23 for testing purposes. Set both voltages equally until you find a stable setting. After that, increase only the core until your R23 scores max out.
Thank you! Stable setting in TS Bench? Cinebench seems to run fine until -210 mV. Or do you mean the longer stability test in Cinebench?

I tried TS Bench and you are right-- it throws errors at -205. Backed down to -175 (core/cache) and I'm running the longer TS Bench and getting no errors, which makes me think I'm doing something wrong (not selecting the right options for the bench).

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
TS Bench is usually a better test for setting voltages compared to Cinebench. There are some games where you might have to reduce your undervolt some more. Just use your computer normally and add voltage if you see a BSOD.

pechtowerup

TS Bench is usually a better test for setting voltages compared to Cinebench. There are some games where you might have to reduce your undervolt some more. Just use your computer normally and add voltage if you see a BSOD.
Gotcha. Stable at -185mV core/cache for the duration of the 7680M TS Bench test so i dunno! I still think maybe that means I have a setting wrong on the test, but I didn't go checking or unchecking things, just used it stock right after install. I've got it running the 30min Cinebench R23 test so if it doesn't crash I'll start lowering the core and retesting. Thanks so much! Given new life to my teenager's hinge-broken screenless laptop. Maybe it'll be enough for Steam or Nvidia gamestreaming.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Every CPU is unique. Your cache can undervolt more than most. That is OK. Nothing to worry about.

Intel does not have infinite time on the assembly line to come up with the perfect voltage. They always use a little more than is necessary to be on the safe side so they can guarantee long term stability. Removing the excess is fine as long as you have the time to run a variety of stability tests.

Last edited:
System Name Powerspec 1520 Gaming Laptop (Clevo rebadge)
Processor i7 8750H
Motherboard eh?
Cooling An old CoolerMaster Laptop Cooler
Memory 32gb of mismatched madness, 16gb is crucial
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 (not Max-Q)
Storage 500gb WD Black NVME Boot, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Inland NVME storage drive
Display(s) Built in + AOC 24G2
Audio Device(s) Xiberia headphones
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100
@djeboe I have essentially the same laptop (17" version, 1720) and in the past have had odd behavior after system crashes or BSOD. Firstly I would try loading Default Settings in BIOS or alternatively clearing the CMOS. I can't pinpoint why but after a system crash I too have experienced some power limit throttling that otherwise never occurs. It could be a BIOS bug of some sort.

If that nets you no real changes, have a look at these settings and give them a try (OTHER THAN the undervolt, stick to YOUR predetermined voltage). You may need to update to Throttle Stop 9.5 to match things. This is the 'Performance' profile I use and has no kind of throttling on Max Turbo for my 1720. If it works for you, then you can limit things on other profiles as you see fit.

Additionally, I believe your BIOS may be fully unlocked via this tool (InsydeH2OUVE_x86_WINx64_200.00.01.00) - http://en.inspur.com/eportal/fileDir/en_active_download/biosbmc/Inspur TS860M5/TS860M5_BIOS_4.0.04_20190424.zip
You'll see 'Setup Menu Insyde Full Show' is set to "Hide". Change to "Full" and options should appear. If you save and boot to BIOS they should be viewable/selectable.

It is how I unlocked my 1720 BIOS and can change PL levels, and about 1000 other settings from Windows or BIOS. It seems to work either way, requiring a reboot if in Windows. If this works for you let me know. It was shared to me from another PowerSpec user.

I finally got around to messing with the BIOS unlock that you provided properly, as I had been trying to document all that it did so that I could see if it did the things that @unclewebb was asking for, since I couldn't find the Intel drivers he was mentioning anywhere in my Driver Manager. I had problems with my Chrome which I admittedly run with far too many tabs, and a bunch of other things going on and far too little patience or energy to deal with all of it. So I decided to fiddle around with unlocking the settings tonight, and I went, did the thing to unlock the settings, and then simply saved it and rebooted, went into my BIOS and discovered that the Intel DPTF is disabled at the BIOS level, and lo and behold when I got back into windows, everything is running smoothly. I think that the unlock must have cleared up some settings or something that allowed it to start working again. Maybe that is what disabled the DPTF? I'm not certain since I already couldn't see the drivers. Oh well. Gonna run a Cinebench and see how everything looks now. I don't dare mess with the other settings at that granular of a level as I'm really going from the good graces of everyone in here knowing how to tweak things on hardware that is similar enough to mine, with software that is proven to do so. I can just put these things together, not get in at that level and tweak with sh*t lol.

alexpat

I finally got around to messing with the BIOS unlock that you provided properly, as I had been trying to document all that it did so that I could see if it did the things that @unclewebb was asking for, since I couldn't find the Intel drivers he was mentioning anywhere in my Driver Manager. I had problems with my Chrome which I admittedly run with far too many tabs, and a bunch of other things going on and far too little patience or energy to deal with all of it. So I decided to fiddle around with unlocking the settings tonight, and I went, did the thing to unlock the settings, and then simply saved it and rebooted, went into my BIOS and discovered that the Intel DPTF is disabled at the BIOS level, and lo and behold when I got back into windows, everything is running smoothly. I think that the unlock must have cleared up some settings or something that allowed it to start working again. Maybe that is what disabled the DPTF? I'm not certain since I already couldn't see the drivers. Oh well. Gonna run a Cinebench and see how everything looks now. I don't dare mess with the other settings at that granular of a level as I'm really going from the good graces of everyone in here knowing how to tweak things on hardware that is similar enough to mine, with software that is proven to do so. I can just put these things together, not get in at that level and tweak with sh*t lol.

Is there any way you can share that BIOS with me? I have tried to unlock the BIOS for so long I kinda just gave up