• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help undervolting i7 8750h Throttlestop

Processor Intel i7 13900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360
Memory 32 Gb Kingston Fury Renegade 6400 C32
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080 XLR8 OC
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO + 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 2 TB Samsung 870
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 26698 Cinebench R23 2258/40751
i'll try this and keep you informed, my pc is now at 40 degrees celsius at idle that's much much better Thanks you !!
(cpu core is now -150 and cpu cache is now -125)

Where is the game accelerator setting btw?
40° at idle is perfectly ok.
the “game accelerator “ isn’t a setting. It is an app.
I’m using Razer Cortex but there are many. It basically free up RAM, suspend most of the background tasks and set EPP to zero only when you run a game, restoring everything when you exit the game.
it is not mandatory, but it is good.

Awroxar

Hey everyone,

I´m using Acer Predator Helios 500, i7 - 8750H and gtx 1070, I´ve had problems with temps for quite a long time, while playing some demanding games like Apex my laptop shuts down after some time. Some people said it´s a problem with chipset being too hot and fixed it by having fans on max all the time, that doesn´t work for me and I always play with fans on max. I´m adding my Throttlestop screens I followed many guides and I have no idea if something is wrong or not, I don´t understand these things. I also tried some general fixes like updating drivers, optimizing nvidia controll panel and I´ve repasted with Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut. Can anyone help me please, I don´t want to send it back to Acer again just to wait for them to tell me nothing is wrong and sending it back.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.3 KB · Views: 716
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    55.2 KB · Views: 762
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 774
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Hey everyone,

I´m using Acer Predator Helios 500, i7 - 8750H and gtx 1070, I´ve had problems with temps for quite a long time, while playing some demanding games like Apex my laptop shuts down after some time. Some people said it´s a problem with chipset being too hot and fixed it by having fans on max all the time, that doesn´t work for me and I always play with fans on max. I´m adding my Throttlestop screens I followed many guides and I have no idea if something is wrong or not, I don´t understand these things. I also tried some general fixes like updating drivers, optimizing nvidia controll panel and I´ve repasted with Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut. Can anyone help me please, I don´t want to send it back to Acer again just to wait for them to tell me nothing is wrong and sending it back.
I can’t see anything really wrong in your settings.
What kind of temperature do you have while playing at apex ? Because it is not normal to have the computer to shut down. Usually throttling will start well before you reach the shutting down temperature of the CPU.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The core and cache voltages do not have to be set equally. Do some testing with Cinebench R20. Do multiple runs and keep reducing the CPU core voltage offset. Some of these CPUs will see less heat or better scores up until about -200 mV for the core and -125 mV for the cache.

If your laptop is randomly shutting down it is because something is under designed. Probably not much you can do about that. You might have to lower the turbo ratio limits when gaming down to 36 or lower to try to keep the overall system heat in check.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
The core and cache voltages do not have to be set equally. Do some testing with Cinebench R20. Do multiple runs and keep reducing the CPU core voltage offset. Some of these CPUs will see less heat or better scores up until about -200 mV for the core and -125 mV for the cache.

If your laptop is randomly shutting down it is because something is under designed. Probably not much you can do about that. You might have to lower the turbo ratio limits when gaming down to 36 or lower to try to keep the overall system heat in check.
even if something is poorly designed, the notebook should not shut itself down. It should throttle down to the base clock, but not shut down. Something is wrong there...

pieterk

@unclewebb

Help, im no expert on this kind of thing, first of all, i experimenting with my throttlestop, in TPL (ofc after reading some article), i check TDP Level Control and lock it with value of "2"
but after i apply , the value turn by itself to "1" and my PC got freeze, no way to even move my mouse pointer, then i decided to hard reset..

Throttlestop.jpg

I turn on my laptop again and i see the TDP back to default again with value of "0"..
but the nightmare is, after that moment, my laptop consistently freeze in random time and i need to hard reset whenever it happend..

I dont know if my hardware damaged bcz of that??

Please kindly help me, i dont know what to do now..

I was okay using throttlestop for 1 years before this TPL experiment

i use MSI GL62m-7REX
- core i7-7700HQ
- Nvidia gtx 1050ti
- windows 10

Last edited:
Mouse Razer Basilisk
@unclewebb

Help, im no expert on this kind of thing, first of all, i experimenting with my throttlestop, in TPL (ofc after reading some article), i check TDP Level Control and lock it with value of "2"
but after i apply , the value turn to "1" and my PC got freeze, no way to even move my mouse pointer, then i decided to hard reset..

View attachment 158842

I turn on my laptop again and i see the TDP back to default again with value of "0"..
but the nightmare is, after that moment, my laptop consistently freeze in random time and i need to hard reset whenever it happend..

I dont know if my hardware damaged bcz of that??

Please kindly help me, i dont know what to do now..

I was okay using throttlestop for 1 years before this TPL experiment

i use MSI GL62m-7REX
- core i7-7700HQ
- Nvidia gtx 1050ti
- windows 10
It is extremely hard, I would say impossible, to damage the hardware using TS, because your system has protections in place to avoid that.
I don't know why someone said to set a value of 2 there. I didn't touch that option on my laptop.

Are the freezes happening even with your CPU at default settings (Vcore, Vcache and all the other values) ?

pieterk

It is extremely hard, I would say impossible, to damage the hardware using TS, because your system has protections in place to avoid that.
I don't know why someone said to set a value of 2 there. I didn't touch that option on my laptop.

Are the freezes happening even with your CPU at default settings (Vcore, Vcache and all the other values) ?

If im not wrong, from what i read, it said it will capp the usage of CPU to about 30W..
so i tried it but gone wrong..

Yes, after hard reset, sometimes even before i start Throttlestop, it freeze again... its frustating...

so is that mean my hardware were damaged already? :(

unclewebb

I dont know if my hardware damaged
You have not damaged your hardware. If something ever goes wrong with your settings, exit ThrottleStop and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. Shut down your computer so the CPU can reset itself. When you boot up and start ThrottleStop, it will use your CPU's default settings.

The TDP Level Control is for the 15W U series CPUs. There is no reason for you to use that feature.

pieterk

You have not damaged your hardware. If something ever goes wrong with your settings, exit ThrottleStop and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. Shut down your computer so the CPU can reset itself. When you boot up and start ThrottleStop, it will use your CPU's default settings.

The TDP Level Control is for the 15W U series CPUs. There is no reason for you to use that feature.

Thanks, i just done like exactly u told, delete throttlestop.ini, i shutdown and turn on my laptop again, after that, all the TS configuration set to default...
this is my new undervolt value...

Throttlestop CPUcache.jpgThrottlestop CPUcore.jpg

I apply n run TS bench (size 1024M)
and my laptop freeze again in the middle of the test... what is that mean sir??

Mouse Razer Basilisk
If im not wrong, from what i read, it said it will capp the usage of CPU to about 30W..
so i tried it but gone wrong..

Yes, after hard reset, sometimes even before i start Throttlestop, it freeze again... its frustating...

so is that mean my hardware were damaged already? :(
Well, I would try to delete the .INI file and see if your computer is still crashing or not.
Why you started using TS ? You were trying to solve some issues ?
I can see an idle temperature around 72° in your screenshot above, which is way too high.

pieterk

Well, I would try to delete the .INI file and see if your computer is still crashing or not.
Why you started using TS ? You were trying to solve some issues ?
I can see an idle temperature around 72° in your screenshot above, which is way too high.

I use TS to lower my CPU heat

i dont see undervolt solve my heat prob, so mostly i disable turbo.. or did i done my undervolt wrong??

Mouse Razer Basilisk
I use TS to lower my CPU heat

i dont see undervolt solve my heat prob, so mostly i disable turbo.. or did i done my undervolt wrong??
To say that we need more data.
WHich temperature does it reach while gaming ? And running a benchmark ?

And I have a question for you: the Turbo Limits in the screenshot above are locked at 38 (3.8 GHz), for all cores. This is much higher than default (it should be 38-36-34-34). This surely contributes to high temperatures.

Disable Turbo is not a solution. Never.
Try to lower it a little bit, use a setting like 38-35-32-32 for instance. It should lower temps without affecting perfomance too much.
I would also try to raise your Speed Shift EPP a little bit. Try 84 for instance. It will helps to cool your CPU even while at idle.

pieterk

To say that we need more data.
WHich temperature does it reach while gaming ? And running a benchmark ?

And I have a question for you: the Turbo Limits in the screenshot above are locked at 38 (3.8 GHz), for all cores. This is much higher than default (it should be 38-36-34-34). This surely contributes to high temperatures.

Try to lower it a little bit, use a setting like 38-35-32-32 for instance. It should lower temps without affecting perfomance too much.
I would also try to raise your Speed Shift EPP a little bit. Try 84 for instance. It will helps to cool your CPU even while at idle.

Before i experiencing this consistent crash, i undervolt my cpucore n cache by -120mv and disabling turbo...
by that setting i got acceptable temp around 70-85 C
and my laptop never crash before...

Update : after reset TS and reuse my undervolt setting (-120mv) and combine with your advice, lower Turbo boost ratio by 34 now ...
i just playing CSGO, i got fairly good temp around 80-85 C with 3,4ghz.. but after several round, my laptop crash again ...
i hard reset, turn on laptop and rerun TS, but got crash again while administrator window just appear...

seems like my prob not solved yet... :(

unclewebb

Your laptop is going to crash if you set the CPU voltage too low. Your testing shows that -120 mV is too low.

What does ThrottleStop report for C0% when your computer is idle at the desktop? It looks like you have something running in the background, creating heat. A properly setup computer running Windows 10 needs to spend very little time in the C0 state when it is idle.

Get the background apps under control and do some testing with the TS Bench and Prime95. Both 1 and 2 thread testing are just as important as full load testing. See how stable your voltage is.

I totally agree.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
Before i experiencing this consistent crash, i undervolt my cpucore n cache by -120mv and disabling turbo...
by that setting i got acceptable temp around 70-85 C
and my laptop never crash before...

Update : after reset TS and reuse my undervolt setting (-120mv) and combine with your advice, lower Turbo boost ratio by 34 now ...
i just playing CSGO, i got fairly good temp around 80-85 C with 3,4ghz.. but after several round, my laptop crash again ...
i hard reset, turn on laptop and rerun TS, but got crash again while administrator window just appear...

seems like my prob not solved yet... :(
Temperatures are absolutely right while gaming, so your crash isn’t related to temperature.
You are probably applying too much undervolting: for a 7700HQ often values like -90/-100 are the maximum.
As unclewebb suggested, try with -100 and a single thread TS Bench.

pieterk

Your laptop is going to crash if you set the CPU voltage too low. Your testing shows that -120 mV is too low.

What does ThrottleStop report for C0% when your computer is idle at the desktop? It looks like you have something running in the background, creating heat. A properly setup computer running Windows 10 needs to spend very little time in the C0 state when it is idle.

Get the background apps under control and do some testing with the TS Bench and Prime95. Both 1 and 2 thread testing are just as important as full load testing. See how stable your voltage is.

I totally agree.

Temperatures are absolutely right while gaming, so your crash isn’t related to temperature.
You are probably applying too much undervolting: for a 7700HQ often values like -90/-100 are the maximum.
As unclewebb suggested, try with -100 and a single thread TS Bench.

When in idle condition C0% are around 3-15.

Thanks for advice, i will try to change my undervolt value.. but im still confused, why my laptop still crash even after i just restart it?? (before i rerun my TS)
And i was okay with value -120mV before.. Never crash even i use for rendering in 3dsmax, which is all core goes up to 100% usage with 90+ C degree...

Last edited:
Mouse Razer Basilisk
When in idle condition C0% are around 3-15.

Thanks for advice, i will try to change my undervolt value.. but im still confused, why my laptop still crash even after i just restart it?? (before i rerun my TS)
And i was okay with value -120mV before.. Never crash even i use for rendering in 3dsmax, which is all core goes up to 100% usage with 90+ C degree...
Did you set TS as an automatically started service following one of the guides online ?

maybecocoa

As I didn't find any info googling, I will ask here.
What does the PP0 Current Limit section? It was set on 170 by default on my Dell G5 5590. I saw advice for other guys to change it's value to 100 but should I do the same or just leave it?

unclewebb

These are just limits. Many desktop boards set these limits sky high so they do not interfere with the CPU running at its full rated speed. Some Dell laptops might be doing the same thing now.

If your CPU runs at a maximum of 90 Amps, you can set the PP0 Current Limit to 100, 170 or 1070. It does not matter. The CPU will not throttle because of this limit.

If your CPU does show EDP CURRENT throttling across all three domains when this is set to 100 then try increasing this limit.

maybecocoa

These are just limits. Many desktop boards set these limits sky high so they do not interfere with the CPU running at its full rated speed. Some Dell laptops might be doing the same thing now.

If your CPU runs at a maximum of 90 Amps, you can set the PP0 Current Limit to 100, 170 or 1070. It does not matter. The CPU will not throttle because of this limit.

If your CPU does show EDP CURRENT throttling across all three domains when this is set to 100 then try increasing this limit.
Thank you very much :)

Aryan

Hi everyone,
i bought a msi gp73 8re laptop, over the course of a few days while playing it started to have a high cpu temperature, i decided to research and found the throttlestop, followed some tutorials and my temperature significantly reduced from ~ 85-95 to ~ 65-75,on gaming , but I noticed that I have some yellow frames in the limit table, in gta I have Ring -» edp other (yellow), and after running cinebench I have core-» pl1 (yellow) and Ring - » edp other (yellow) . Should I worry about this? Is there any way to fix it?
So your laptop got about 10 degrees cooler only by undervolting?Or you did something else too?

Mouse Razer Basilisk
As I didn't find any info googling, I will ask here.
What does the PP0 Current Limit section? It was set on 170 by default on my Dell G5 5590. I saw advice for other guys to change it's value to 100 but should I do the same or just leave it?
170 is the default value for Dell notebooks and it is just fine

Thrasher

hi i have i7 8750h, the laptop is a msi ge63. someone help me? i want to know if the cpu at 4.1ghz gets more fps in games, don't notice much difference from 3.2 to 3.9.
Another thing I put all the nuclei to 4.1ghz but with msi afterburner it still shows me 3.9 what should I do?
Captura de pantalla 2020-07-25 214232.png

Attachments

• 1595724092626.png
    1595724092626.png
    312 bytes · Views: 113
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
hi i have i7 8750h, the laptop is a msi ge63. someone help me? i want to know if the cpu at 4.1ghz gets more fps in games, don't notice much difference from 3.2 to 3.9.
Another thing I put all the nuclei to 4.1ghz but with msi afterburner it still shows me 3.9 what should I do?
Reset the turbo ratio limits to 40 maximum as your CPU cannot boost to 4.1 all core, that is max turbo limit and will only boost on one or two cores.