• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help undervolting i7 8750h Throttlestop

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel i5-9600KF
Motherboard NZXT N7 Z370 Black
Cooling Cooler Master 240 RGB AIO / Stock
Memory Thermaltake Toughram 16GB 4400MHz DDR4 or Gigabyte 16GB 3600MHz DDR4 or Adata 8GB 2133Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 1060 6GB
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I think @Caring1 saw that the core undervolt was set to -1000 mV so assumed that the undervolt was not being applied. Unless a screenshot of the FIVR window is posted, you cannot tell.
True, I assumed undervolting a 1.03V CPU by 1.0V would not work.
Interesting to learn that part of that undervolt may be applied linked to Cache.

Lawrence_phaw

The core and cache undervolt work together. If cache undervolt is set to -150 mV, maybe max core undervolt is -250 mV. If you set -250 mV for the core or -500 mV for the core or -1000 mV, the CPU will still use -250 mV. The CPU ignores really big voltage request numbers.

Do some testing with Cinebench R20. Start testing with the core at -175 mV and then -200 mV, -225 mV, etc. At some point, your Cinebench scores will stop improving. That is the maximum undervolt for your CPU. Leave the cache at -150 mV for all tests if it is stable.
Thanks.
Now I can understand why the performance is not improving after -230mV.

xtess3ractx

Hi guys,

Been lurking this forum for about two years intermittently tweaking my undervolts and such but whenever I think I just about found the sweet spot I get random crashes. Particularly games such as MW, APEX.

The strange thing is I can run all benchmark suites without a problem but certain games just seem to crush my thermals and power consumption. For limits I got it too the state, that the only limit that pops up is edp ring, any idea how I can remedy this? and perhaps fix my BSOD (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR) in certain games.

I've included the settings i'm using currently, the first bit where gpu clocks spike is running 3Dmark demo(Timespy), the rest is after running 3 ts benches and writing this.

Attachments

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
I get random crashes
Random crashes are a sign that you have gone too far with your undervolt. Can you run the 1 and 2 Thread TS Bench tests with 0 errors? Set your turbo ratios back to their default values when testing. 41, 41, 40, 40, 39, 39

If you are not stable, do not undervolt the Intel GPU and iGPU Unslice. Back the cache off to -100 mV and maybe back the core off to -150 mV or -125 mV. You need to get back to a point where you are 100% stable, all of the time. If you find that point, then you can try to increase the core and cache offsets. The Intel GPU is not used when gaming so most users do not bother with it.

The purpose of the Windows High Performance power plan is to run the CPU at full speed regardless of load. You have combined that with a Speed Shift EPP setting of 128 which is telling the CPU to slow down when lightly loaded. You are telling the CPU to do two different things. Pick one or the other. If you want a slow CPU when lightly loaded just set it to the default Balanced power plan in Windows. No need to check the Windows power plan feature in ThrottleStop. You do not need it.

Windows 10 can also take care of the Speed Shift EPP value. That is what the Windows power slider is for. If you do not check the Speed Shift EPP option in ThrottleStop, this will allow Windows to adjust EPP. Open the FIVR window and you can watch in the monitoring table to see what EPP value Windows uses as you adjust the slider. If Windows can handle this, there is no need to have ThrottleStop and Windows both writing different info to the same CPU register.

Some things occasionally lighting up in red in Limit Reasons is not the end of the world. By reducing the turbo ratio limits, you have chosen to throttle your CPU by 700 MHz so what's a little more throttling? Your CPU is running at only 80°C. Why not let it run at the speed that Intel designed it to run at? Temperatures of 90°C to 95°C are normal temperatures for laptops with Intel's 6 core CPUs. Intel says any temperature under 100°C is a "safe operating temperature".

xtess3ractx

Ok, I'll make some adjustments.

I matched the Epp setting in windows.

The reason I capped turbo ratio limits though is because the 1070 starts to throttle around 84°C.

Last edited:

TripleD

Hello, I've just replaced my thermal paste and temperatures got a lot better, but I've went from Thermal Throttling to Power Throttling. When cinebench starts all cores goes at the 5th/6th core clock and it runs between 88º and 95º (before changing the thermal paste it literally thermal throttled just bystarting a game, capped at 2.9ghz with 95º) but after 10 or 20 seconds it power throttles and goes back to 3.3ghz at 85º, running much better than before but still not getting even close to 3.9ghz.

Could I get some help? I've tried everything I could've thought (btw 90/90 on power iare the default numbers on my hp omen 15)

Attachments

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
Thermal Throttling to Power Throttling
Intel gave the 8750H a 45W TDP rating. Some laptop manufacturers decided to enforce that limit. During any long term test, the CPU will throttle and be limited to 45W. ThrottleStop cannot be used to solve this problem.

When running Cinebench you can try increasing your core offset to -200 mV or -225 mV. That might help a tiny bit but ultimately you will still be limited to 45W.

Now that you have fixed the thermal paste, you can set the turbo ratio limits back to their default values, 41, 41, 40, 40, 39, 39 and set Speed Shift Max back to 41.

If you are going to undervolt the Intel GPU then you also have to undervolt the iGPU Unslice. These two voltages should be set equally. There is very little to be gained. The Intel GPU is not used when gaming if you have an Nvidia GPU. Undervolting the Intel GPU can cause instability so most users do not bother.

Download ThrottleStop 9.2 and copy the new ThrottleStop.exe file into your ThrottleStop folder.

Last edited:

Kingtanar

Hi guys,

Been lurking this forum for about two years intermittently tweaking my undervolts and such but whenever I think I just about found the sweet spot I get random crashes. Particularly games such as MW, APEX.

The strange thing is I can run all benchmark suites without a problem but certain games just seem to crush my thermals and power consumption. For limits I got it too the state, that the only limit that pops up is edp ring, any idea how I can remedy this? and perhaps fix my BSOD (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR) in certain games.

I've included the settings i'm using currently, the first bit where gpu clocks spike is running 3Dmark demo(Timespy), the rest is after running 3 ts benches and writing this.
I used to have a similar problem as you, trying to find the "sweet spot" for the cpu undervolting. I read on many forums that the I7-8750H was stable around -125mV for the core and cache, however, it was not stable for me (I have an i7-8750H too). Going straight to the point, I currently have and undervolt of -225mV for the core and -120mV for the cache, and no undervolt for the Intel GPU or System Agent. I haven't had any error while using the Throttlestop bench or any BSOD since applying this undervolt settings. As Unclewebb said, backing the cache a little can bring you stability, and then you can start decreasing the core more and more.

The value I set for the core was tested with TS bench and then Cinebench R23, so when I undervolted more, around -250mV for the core and got a lower score than with -225mV for the core, I knew this was my limit.

I don't know if this is on any use, but I don't check the Speed Shift EPP, since Windows sets a value of 84 for the balanced (at better performance slider position) power plan.. You can check this on the FIVR window, on the last parameter in the box in the right.

Also, I have a different undervolt when using battery, -130mV for the core and -100mV for cache, due to if I used the same undervolt profile as the plugged in, my laptop had some freezes from time to time.

I hope this helps you reaching lower temps and keeping the maximum performance your CPU can provide

abactuon

I recently bought MSI GF65 (i5-9300h,1660ti).
Configured by reading this forum:
CPU Core Offset : -220,7
CPU Cache Offset : -109,4
Intel GPU Offset : -70,3
iGPU Unslice : -70,3
Checked with TS Bench.
One problem is noise, I wanted to change the thermal paste, but then I turned it on 'Disable Turbo', and it turned out that the 2400 MHz frequency suits me.
In all my games (Prey 2017, Fallout 4, Red Dead Redemption 2 ...), I have an acceptable setting for me (High,1920x1080). Temperature (GPU,CPU - 70C), no noise.
I even overclocked it a little Nvidia GPU with the help MSI Afterburner, maybe this is not necessary.
For newbies like me, this is not obvious.
Is comfort more important than 'Cinebench' ?

Attachments

abactuon

I have a question :
Why is there only 15W-20W in games, but it is advised to set TurboBoostPL>=45W, or is it something else.
Can I put TurboBoostPL=35W or will it be necessary to increase the voltage then.
pkg.jpg

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
I turned it on 'Disable Turbo', and it turned out that the 2400 MHz frequency suits me.
Why is there only 15W-20W in games
You slowed your CPU down. It will use less power running slow.

Laptop computers are very powerful. Many games are not programmed to take advantage of a modern CPU. Power consumption will not be high if only half of the CPU is being used.

Ch3m1zt

i m limited of my knowledge of the time still today, so i turned the turb off and pushed afterburner to get peak on the 1060 6gb, and now started tinkering with this lappy again,
changed thermals and pads, to kryonout, i was about to go the liquid, but if u cant undervolt or find stable on a lappy, there is no point yet. learning curve has been great:) ty

You slowed your CPU down. It will use less power running slow.

Laptop computers are very powerful. Many games are not programmed to take advantage of a modern CPU. Power consumption will not be high if only half of the CPU is being used.
hence we are here trying to tame these 8750`s

I recently bought MSI GF65 (i5-9300h,1660ti).
Configured by reading this forum:
CPU Core Offset : -220,7
CPU Cache Offset : -109,4
Intel GPU Offset : -70,3
iGPU Unslice : -70,3
Checked with TS Bench.
One problem is noise, I wanted to change the thermal paste, but then I turned it on 'Disable Turbo', and it turned out that the 2400 MHz frequency suits me.
In all my games (Prey 2017, Fallout 4, Red Dead Redemption 2 ...), I have an acceptable setting for me (High,1920x1080). Temperature (GPU,CPU - 70C), no noise.
I even overclocked it a little Nvidia GPU with the help MSI Afterburner, maybe this is not necessary.
For newbies like me, this is not obvious.
Is comfort more important than 'Cinebench' ?
please read the posts from the firsts, and dont add randm numbers, coz every cip and board is different, its the russian rulette with these so ur numbers never gonna fit with other, so u gotta go the long run and step by step safe,