• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help undervolting i7 8750h Throttlestop

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
For the 9750H, the default multiplier when 1 core is active is 45. Why have you decided to set this to 41? What is your reasoning behind that decision? If you run something simple like the TS Bench test and you set that to 1 Thread, is your CPU using too much power or is it overheating and thermal throttling when you have the 1 Active Core multiplier set to 45?

I am thinking, probably not. When 1 or 2 cores are active, you can probably continue to use the 45 and 44 multiplier for those sort of loads without any worries. The problem you are trying to fix is when all 6 cores are active. It makes sense to lower that to 38 to keep the CPU temps from going nuclear. It might also make sense when 4 or 5 cores are active to reduce those turbo multipliers. When the CPU is lightly loaded, it is not causing any problems. No need to change anything or correct a problem if that problem does not exist.

Do some more testing. Set the TS Bench to a nice long test like 1024M. Adjust the number of threads. While this test is running, adjust the turbo multipliers to get a better feel for CPU speed vs heat and power consumption. Kind of like Science 101. Kids would have more fun in school if important stuff like overclocking was being taught.

Osmandonate

Unclewebb,

So would it make sense for me to do something like 45,44,40,41,39,38? Would this make sense?

I'm just not sure if you can stack the multipliers in such order or if it needs to steadily be adjusted such as 45,44,43,42,41,40. With this configuration the CPU still runs hot.

Thanks a lot!!!!

unclewebb

With this configuration the CPU still runs hot.
It is a 6 core CPU shoved into a laptop. If you try to take advantage of all the performance that is available, of course it is going to run hot. Intel has not made much progress in recent memory when it comes to die shrinks, reducing power consumption and reducing heat.

45,44,40,41,39,38?
Did you do some testing or are those just numbers off the top of your head?

As long as the turbo ratio numbers go from highest to lowest, everything is fine. In your example, you need to switch 40 and 41.

1 Core Active - 45
2 Cores Active - 44
3 Cores Active - 41
4 Cores Active - 40
5 Cores Active - 39
6 Cores Active - 38

If full load testing is too hot, instead of 38, maybe use 37 or 36.

Osmandonate

It is a 6 core CPU shoved into a laptop. If you try to take advantage of all the performance that is available, of course it is going to run hot. Intel has not made much progress in recent memory when it comes to die shrinks, reducing power consumption and reducing heat.

Did you do some testing or are those just numbers off the top of your head?

As long as the turbo ratio numbers go from highest to lowest, everything is fine. In your example, you need to switch 40 and 41.

1 Core Active - 45
2 Cores Active - 44
3 Cores Active - 41
4 Cores Active - 40
5 Cores Active - 39
6 Cores Active - 38

If full load testing is too hot, instead of 38, maybe use 37 or 36.

Unclewebb,

Yes, that is exactly the problem I've always had. Squeeze the most of any of my systems......I mainly use the laptop for gaming and a litt

Unclewebb,

Yes, that is exactly the problem I've always had. Squeeze the most of any of the systems I own.....I mainly use the laptop for gaming and a little bit for web browsing. Since I'm so used to having my desktop at peak performance without a single issue I'm seeing the laptop as such when it's not ):

It is what it is, it seems that I'll be able to get so much performance.

Thanks again for all your help! You've been extremely helpful and patient with my issue.

Have a great weekend!

Unclewebb,

For some reason while idling EDP other is constantly blinking across CPU GPU and RING sometimes it quickly glows red. I have checked the log and it's not indicating any kind of throttling. Also, when I check the clocks in HWinfo it's not throttling either but yet in the Limits window in TS is blinking yellow constantly.

I'm not sure why this is happening.....

TY!

unclewebb

Any throttling while your CPU is idle is not too important. EDP OTHER across all 3 domains is usually caused by the current limits being set too low. The TPL screenshot you posted shows that the PP0 Current Limit is set to 0. Try setting that to 256 and try increasing all of the IccMax values in the FIVR window as high as they can go (255.75). That might get rid of those lights blinking.

The Limit Reasons screenshot you posted on the previous page does not show any throttling reasons lighting up. If the above does not help, try setting your turbo ratios back to their default values just for testing purposes.

Last edited:

Deadshot330

Hey Everyone,

I am using an MSI GS63 Stealth 8RE. My PKG Power seems much higher than most, and I am running lower clocks to help reduce temps; but I feel like I am on a thin line between thermal and power throttling. Just wondering if you guys see anything I should change to Help. Thanks.

Attachments

• FIVR.png
    FIVR.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 3,028
  • HWinfo.png
    HWinfo.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 3,154
  • TPL.png
    TPL.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 3,008
  • TS.png
    TS.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,895
  • UnderLoad.png
    UnderLoad.png
    355.5 KB · Views: 3,082

unclewebb

Your settings look OK. Laptops with 6 core Intel CPUs run hot. I would set all of the turbo multis to 39. You have lots of temperature headroom. No need to sacrifice performance.

Intel considers any core temperature under 100°C to be a "safe operating temperature". That is why they have been setting the thermal throttling temperature to that value for the majority of their CPUs for the last decade. I think they know what they are doing. If this was a problem for long term reliability, they could easily lower that value but they don't.

TripleD

Hi everyone,

I have an I7-8750H and a RTX 2060. I started using ThrottleStop because I saw that my CPU was always at max frecuency when i was using "Max performance" on my battery settings while using AC Adapter.
I tried undervolting and underclocking but I can't find my "sweet spot". A have been using the same settings since a week ago and I had good results until today, that the avg temperature has gone from 86º while playing AC Odyssey to 95º. Also my idle temperatures have always been at 55-60º but I can't get less than that, even with turbo disabled.
Here are my settings, what should I change? (TS screenshoot was before AC Odyssey and HWInfo after 5 mins with AC Odyssey open) I enabled turbo for gaming.

EDIT: I think that I found some issues. My cpu is always at 5th and 6th core speed, it really doesn't matter if cores 1, 2, 3 or 4 are at less or more "turbo limit". My cpu will always be at cores 5th and 6th frequency. Also they will always be very hot. Unless I set the turbo limit at 28 or less on these cores, my cpu will always be running in games at +85ºC on all cores (and +90 on 5th and 6th)

Attachments

• FIVR.png
    FIVR.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,273
  • TS.png
    TS.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,887
  • HWInfo.png
    HWInfo.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,730
  • TPL.png
    TPL.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,750
Last edited:

maxsava0202

usually cinebench will be able to determine what is the lowest undervolt you can go, lower by -0.01V for every successful run (do 10 runs), once you hit the BSOD that means you've reached your CPU's undervolt limit. Then with that undervolt value do a long term stress test with prime95 or aida64, let it run for 10 hours, if it doesn't BSOD then you're good.
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin

Last edited:
System Name Homemade
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard GIgabyte X570s Master
Cooling NZXT Kraken 73 + 8 Case Fans
Memory 32 GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3633Mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti Founder's Edition
Storage 1TB Samsung Evo Pro 980 + 500GB Samsung Evo 970 + 2TB Seagate Barracuda Hybrid + 500GB HD
Display(s) 2x Dell S2721DGF
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek HiDef Audio + TEAC Surround
Power Supply Corsair HMx @ 1000 Watt
Mouse Lenovo M500
Keyboard Red Dragon Mechanical
Hi everyone,

I have an I7-8750H and a RTX 2060. I started using ThrottleStop because I saw that my CPU was always at max frecuency when i was using "Max performance" on my battery settings while using AC Adapter.
I tried undervolting and underclocking but I can't find my "sweet spot". A have been using the same settings since a week ago and I had good results until today, that the avg temperature has gone from 86º while playing AC Odyssey to 95º. Also my idle temperatures have always been at 55-60º but I can't get less than that, even with turbo disabled.
Here are my settings, what should I change? (TS screenshoot was before AC Odyssey and HWInfo after 5 mins with AC Odyssey open) I enabled turbo for gaming.

EDIT: I think that I found some issues. My cpu is always at 5th and 6th core speed, it really doesn't matter if cores 1, 2, 3 or 4 are at less or more "turbo limit". My cpu will always be at cores 5th and 6th frequency. Also they will always be very hot. Unless I set the turbo limit at 28 or less on these cores, my cpu will always be running in games at +85ºC on all cores (and +90 on 5th and 6th)
Literally the exact same situation for me, a couple of my cores seem to run WAY hotter than the others. Also running an i7-8750H and 2060.

unclewebb

a couple of my cores seem to run WAY hotter than the others
This is typically a sign that your heatsink is not sitting square to the CPU cores. It might not have been tightened evenly when installed or else the thermal paste job is a mess.

System Name Homemade
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard GIgabyte X570s Master
Cooling NZXT Kraken 73 + 8 Case Fans
Memory 32 GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3633Mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti Founder's Edition
Storage 1TB Samsung Evo Pro 980 + 500GB Samsung Evo 970 + 2TB Seagate Barracuda Hybrid + 500GB HD
Display(s) 2x Dell S2721DGF
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek HiDef Audio + TEAC Surround
Power Supply Corsair HMx @ 1000 Watt
Mouse Lenovo M500
Keyboard Red Dragon Mechanical
This is typically a sign that your heatsink is not sitting square to the CPU cores. It might not have been tightened evenly when installed or else the thermal paste job is a mess.
Thanks for the quick response.

I have a feeling that this may be the case indeed, I'll open it up sometime this week and check the paste. Should I worry about it in the short term?

unclewebb

Intel CPUs will automatically thermal throttle and slow down as much as necessary to protect the CPU from damage if any of the cores get too hot. No need to be too concerned as the CPU will look after itself. For maximum performance, it would definitely be a good idea to investigate further when you have the time.

Hi everyone,

I have a Lenovo Legion Y540 with i5-9300H so the max turbo for my CPU is 4.1Ghz. The thing is in FIVR control If I set the multiplier on one core to let's say 41x but the rest of the cores I set to 32x, then the clockspeed won't go higher than 3.2GHz. I tried TS Bench with only 1 thread and set SpeedShift-EPP to 0, there was no throttling, I was comfortably within thermal or power limit, yet nothing changed. If I set the other 3 cores to 41x then the clockspeed is 3990Mhz which is OK. Is there some way to set higher turbo to just one core?

Last edited:

unclewebb

Is there some way to set higher turbo to just one core?
No, that is not possible. Intel CPUs determine what multiplier to use based on how many cores are active. That is what the ThrottleStop FIVR - Turbo Ratio Limit adjustment controls. If you have your turbo ratios set to 41, 32, 32, 32 then during a TS Bench 1 Thread test, you should be seeing an average multiplier as reported by ThrottleStop much closer to 41 than to 32. Can you post a screenshot of ThrottleStop while running a 1 Thread test so I can have a look?

Here are the screenshots. I just found out you need to set at least 3 out of 4 cores to higher multiplier to have higher clockspeed.
If I set cores 1-4 to 41x then clockspeed is 4GHz.
If I set cores 1-3 to 41x and the last core stays at 32x then clockspeed is 3.7-3.9Ghz.
If I set cores 1-2 to 41x and 3-4 to 32x then the clockspeed stays at 3.2Ghz and won't go any higher.

Attachments

• ThrottleStop.png
    ThrottleStop.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,512
  • Turbo FIVR Control.png
    Turbo FIVR Control.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,631
  • Turbo Power Limits.png
    Turbo Power Limits.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,424

unclewebb

@THANATOS - Is there any reason why you have decided to throttle your computer so much? Intel CPUs are engineered so they can run reliably right up to the Intel recommended thermal throttling temperature which is not until they reach 100°C. Your screenshot shows that Lenovo reduced the thermal throttling temperature to 94°C. Your CPU has no chance of getting anywhere near the 100°C Intel spec. If you really want to reduce your CPU temps while gaming, you are better off lowering the long term turbo power limit. I would suggest leaving the turbo ratio limits at their default specs.

Thanks for the reply.
Lenovo Legion has no FAN control and It's very noisy when the FANs start to spin and I don't like very high temperature, but I will change my settings a bit.

siddybaba

Hi everyone,

I have an Asus ROG Strix Scar 2 (GL504GM) with i7-8750H and GTX 1060. I read extensively about undervolting the CPU across many different forums and arrived at a stable undervolt value after trial and error.
I passed the TS Bench without errors after multiple tests and I achieved a 10 degree reduction in CPU temp (playing BFV). Couple of days later, I noticed that the CPU started throttling (thermal, power, lower clockspeeds etc. couldn't pass TS bench without errors) and temps hit 95 degrees again!

Can anyone help me fine tune my setup? I'm attaching the screenshots of the exact settings I had before throttling began - thought I had it figured out!
P.S. The Limit reasons also had PL1, PL2, and EDP Other across Core and GPU as well

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• FIVR.PNG
    FIVR.PNG
    262.2 KB · Views: 1,200
  • Limit.PNG
    Limit.PNG
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,188
  • TPL.PNG
    TPL.PNG
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,176
  • TS.PNG
    TS.PNG
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,279

unclewebb

@siddybaba - ThrottleStop shows a check mark beside the PROCHOT box which means your CPU has been reaching its max temp and has been thermal throttling. You are never going to see consistent performance from one day to the next if your computer is struggling to keep the CPU cool. One day your computer might run fine and the next day, the sun comes out, your room temperature is a couple of degrees warmer and then your laptop is thermal throttling and running like a slug.

A turbo boost long setting of 70 Watts is great for performance but if your heatsink and fan cannot handle that power level then you need to either replace the thermal paste or lower this power limit. Try 65W or whatever your heatsink and fan can handle. The heatsink and fan are simply not enough to run a 6 core CPU at its full rated speed.

I would clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen. Your CPU will still thermal throttle whether this is checked or not. The Limit Reasons window shows that your laptop has been using this throttling method. If you notice sudden and significant drops in FPS, this might be the cause.

I would check the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box.

Can you undervolt a little more or do you start seeing TS Bench errors if you go much beyond -65 mV? Many 8750H CPUs are stable at -100 mV. Yours might not be due to the heat issues.

Lowering the long turbo power limit is the best way to sacrifice some CPU performance. This will reduce temps and lead to more consistent gaming performance.

siddybaba

Thank you @unclewebb for your response.

I've now ticked the "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" box, unchecked the BD PROCHOT box, and dropped the Turbo Boost Long to 65W as you suggested.
Based on these, couple of things to note:
1. On a cold booted system, I increased the undervolt to -69.3mV with no TS Bench errors.
2. Increased undervolt to -70mV and immediately got errors. Dropped to -69.3mV and got errors again!
3. Then I tested at every subsequent -1mV only to find that -64mV returns no TS Bench errors, giong back to my earlier value.

Finally, I further dropped the Turbo Boost Long to 60W, and now I've got a stablish undervolt at -64mV. Beyond this point, I start to see TS Bench errors.
But, I must say that there have been multiple times when even at -64mV I've run into errors. (I have never read anything like this before in any forum)
Max temps are currently at 88°C which is too high.
Regarding your point of 8750H stability at -100mV, I've read on a separate forum stating Asus laptops aren't undervolt friendly.

Could you please let me know, if there's anything else that I can tweak?

Thank you once again!

Attachments

• FIVR Cold-boot.PNG
    FIVR Cold-boot.PNG
    257 KB · Views: 842
  • FIVR- Currently.PNG
    FIVR- Currently.PNG
    268.4 KB · Views: 1,050
  • TPL Cold-boot.PNG
    TPL Cold-boot.PNG
    100.7 KB · Views: 830
  • TPL-Currently.PNG
    TPL-Currently.PNG
    88 KB · Views: 902
  • TS Bench - Currently.PNG
    TS Bench - Currently.PNG
    237.6 KB · Views: 930
  • TS Bench Cold-boot.PNG
    TS Bench Cold-boot.PNG
    228.9 KB · Views: 758

siddybaba

Alright, so this is the best I could do on my own.

Scored 2,801 points on Cinebench R20 but I don't remember what settings I used. Can't seem to replicate it now!
Anyway, I somehow managed to push the undervolt to -70mV which passes the TS Bench test and I dropped Turbo ratio limits. I noticed that keeping 6 cores active at 36x kept the temps <= 85°C which is what I'm targeting. However, CPU performance takes a big hit (as expected) scoring 2,605 points on R20. I ran BF5 on High settings and got decent (read: better than before) FPS with CPU temps at ~86°C.

What should my optimum Turbo Ratio Limits be? And what about the Turbo Time Limit? The combinations are endless and I'm just not able to find a satisfactory setting. I'm pretty cheesed off with Asus providing lousy thermal solutions. It seems I've to re-paste as last resort.
Current stable TS settings as attached.

Edit 1: I've maxed out the IccMax values. Not sure if that helps? What about PP0 Current Limit set at 100? In my previous screenshots it was at 0 and changing it to any other value would trigger the EDP Other limit immediately.

Attachments

• FIVR-updated.PNG
    FIVR-updated.PNG
    251.4 KB · Views: 876
  • R20.PNG
    R20.PNG
    123.5 KB · Views: 931
  • TPL-updated.PNG
    TPL-updated.PNG
    90.1 KB · Views: 817
  • TS-Updated.PNG
    TS-Updated.PNG
    137.4 KB · Views: 817
Last edited:

Thrasher

@siddybaba - ThrottleStop shows a check mark beside the PROCHOT box which means your CPU has been reaching its max temp and has been thermal throttling. You are never going to see consistent performance from one day to the next if your computer is struggling to keep the CPU cool. One day your computer might run fine and the next day, the sun comes out, your room temperature is a couple of degrees warmer and then your laptop is thermal throttling and running like a slug.

A turbo boost long setting of 70 Watts is great for performance but if your heatsink and fan cannot handle that power level then you need to either replace the thermal paste or lower this power limit. Try 65W or whatever your heatsink and fan can handle. The heatsink and fan are simply not enough to run a 6 core CPU at its full rated speed.

I would clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen. Your CPU will still thermal throttle whether this is checked or not. The Limit Reasons window shows that your laptop has been using this throttling method. If you notice sudden and significant drops in FPS, this might be the cause.

I would check the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box.

Can you undervolt a little more or do you start seeing TS Bench errors if you go much beyond -65 mV? Many 8750H CPUs are stable at -100 mV. Yours might not be due to the heat issues.

Lowering the long turbo power limit is the best way to sacrifice some CPU performance. This will reduce temps and lead to more consistent gaming performance.

Hello everyone!!
I need your help, I have a msi ge63 8re with i7 8750h and gtx1060.
I leave you my configs.
-
Playing cod warzone reaches maximum 95 degrees with the cooler boost 5 activated, and stays at 3.9ghz.
-
if I leave it in the speedshift at 128 the maximum temp is 84 degrees
-
I want to clarify that where I live, it makes 34 degrees
I don't turn on the air conditioning because I don't think it's necessary
-
I hope you can help me

Attachments

• Anotación 2020-04-25 151153.png
    Anotación 2020-04-25 151153.png
    961.8 KB · Views: 597
  • Anotación 2020-04-25 151456.png
    Anotación 2020-04-25 151456.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 705
  • Anotación 2020-04-25 151509.png
    Anotación 2020-04-25 151509.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 596
  • fivr.png
    fivr.png
    918.8 KB · Views: 717

Medic7

Evening all,

I have watched a ton of videos online and read tons of forums (this one included) in regards to stop thermal and power limit throttling. However I still seem to be getting that issue. While playing games, which are not even of high intensity.

In order to monitor it better I have been using XTU (ONLY TO MONITOR) thermal and power throttling. I did not try undervolt or change any settings with XTU as I used Throttlestop for that. I did hear that running the two together could cause an issue but surely only if you had undervolted on both programs?

Attached are the screen shots of my ThrottleStop setup. Any advice is appreciated as to what I am doing wrong that I still get Thermal Throttled, and Power Limit throttle and my fps drop like crazy.

Edit: It is not in the screenshots, but for the CPU Core Offset Voltage, CPU Cache Offset Voltage and Intel GPU Offset Voltage I have it set to - 135.7 mv.

Specs: GTX1060, i7 8750H CPU, 16GB

Screenshot (9).png
Screenshot (10).png
Screenshot (11).png

Last edited:

unclewebb

When under volting the Intel GPU, you need to under volt the iGPU Unslice equally. If you are using an Nvidia GPU while gaming, I would leave the Intel GPU and the iGPU Unslice offset voltages at their default values. No use causing instability.

If your laptop is poorly engineered and has inadequate cooling, there is not much you can do about that. What laptop model do you have?

Are you using the Windows high performance power profile? The turbo time limit should be set to the default value of 28 seconds. Every time I see that someone has maxed that out to 3,670,016 seconds, I know they have been following a bad guide. That time value is equivalent to more than 42 days. No reason to do that.

Are you willing to disassemble your laptop to try and fix the cooling issues? That seems to be a problem.

Do not use the Speed Shift Max value to control your maximum CPU speed (34) and then use a completely different value (39) for the turbo ratio limits. If your cooling system cannot handle a 45 Watt CPU then lower your long term turbo power limit to a value that your cooling can handle. Maybe 40 Watts or 35 Watts. I was helping one person recently and he could only run his 45 Watt CPU at 15 Watts. Any more and his GPU would get too hot and start throttling. That is just terrible design.

Turn the Log File option on and go play a game. Let's see how your CPU is performing. Turn on the Add Limit Reasons to Log File option and Nvidia GPU monitoring in the Options window. Attach a log file to your next post. It will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder.

Do some testing with Cinebench R20. It is a good real world test. It will allow you to keep a close eye on your CPU while this test is running and you can also make adjustments in ThrottleStop while this test is running to get a better feel for the program. A properly engineered laptop with an 8750H can run this entire test at the 39.00 multiplier without a hint of throttling. See how your laptop does against that benchmark.