• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help undervolting i7 8750h Throttlestop

Sadly am not the person to do take the laptop apart. Just so many things what an inexperienced hand can break in there without proper tools.
All you need is a screwdriver and 20 screws to remove. A cloth (earplugs) and that's it. Even my 12 years son can do it and he's not a person with much dexterity ;) 2-3 YouTube clips would be enough.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Just do it yourself.
I agree 100%. If you want something done right, do it yourself. It is not rocket science. I recently bought a $10 screwdriver kit and some thermal paste to redo my daughter's laptop. I watched a YouTube video and downloaded the manual from the manufacturer. Not all laptops are easy to disassemble but many recent ones are.

@Kohuke - The 9750H needs more than 45W or 50W to achieve maximum performance. Your best Cinebench R20 results are a good 500 points less than what they should be.

The CPU heatsink is either poorly installed or marginal at best. A 20°C difference between cores is not good. Your heatsink might not be perfectly flat, the paste might not have been done correctly (again) or perhaps the heatsink was not screwed down evenly. When you also have a RTX2080 putting heat into an under designed cooling system, sky high temperatures are the result.

Adjusting the power limits allows you to choose between power limit throttling or thermal throttling. It does not solve the problem which is poor cooling. Until you fix the cooling issues, if that is even possible, you are going to have days when your computer randomly throttles more compared to the previous day. A slight change in room temperature or a more demanding game might trigger a lot more throttling.

Lawrence_phaw

Hi everyone,

Here, I would like to share my experience in undervolting i7-8750H.
I bought a gaming laptop from a second-hand retailer last year. It costed me 55% of the original price and came with a defected 1T HDD.
It is a Lenovo Legion Y530, comes with i7-8750H, GTX 1050 4G, 24G RAM @2666mHz and 15.6 in display.
I used to play Pro Evolution Soccer 2020 within Steam App and the temperature was always 97 C.
Yes, that was before I heard of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Throttlestop.
A month ago I bought the thermal grizzly kryonaut and pasted in my machine.
After that, the temperature never goes above 74 C when I play PES2020 (maybe PES does not demand so much resources).
Today I found out this thread and wanted to try out to get the most out of my machine using Throttlestop and I am quite happy with the result.

My machine:
Lenovo Legion Y530 15INCH
CPU: i7-8750H
GPU: GTX 1050 4G
RAM: 24 G (8+16)@2666MHZ
256 Gb NVMe m.2 SSD

Cinebench Release 20 CPU Ranking : 2946 pts (Multi-Thread @ 6Cores 12 Threads)

Throttlestop setting:

Turbo Ratio Limit : 41/41/40/40/39/39 (Bios Default)
Speed shift - epp : 0
Turbo Long Power Max : 60
Turbo short Power Max : 90

CPU Core offset Voltage : -169.9 mV
CPU Cache offset Voltage : -145.5 mV
Intel GPU offset Voltage : -82 mV
iGPU Unslice offset Voltage : -82 mV
System Agent offset Voltage : 0 (default)

Average PKG Power : 54W
Max Temp : 90 C

LenovoLegionY530-i7-8750H CinebenchR20 MultiThread (39MP@-170&-145mV).png

Cinebench Release 20 CPU Ranking : 2261 pts (Single-Thread @ 6Cores 6 Threads)

Throttlestop setting:

CPU Core offset Voltage : -150.4 mV

Average PKG Power : 47 W
Max Temp : 81 C

LenovoLegionY530-i7-8750H CinebenchR20 SingleThread (39MP@-150.4-145.5mV).png

There were no throttling for the above results and i7-8750H was running at 3.9 GHz happily. I would like to call it the SWEET SPOT.

Frankly speaking, I have no technical knowledge of fine-tuning the CPUs with Throttlestop.
It was just trial and error. At some point I tried to offset the CPU Cache voltage at -165 mV but it introduced me the infamous Blue Screen of Death. I can make it back to -155 mV but -145 mV Cache offset can perform better in my case. I tried to offset the Core voltage at -1000 mV but -169.9 mV is the best that performed.
I started with -100 mV offset and lower the increment like -125, -130, -133, etc...
I think the cooling system of our machines also play a big part in this case.
Ok, that's it. Happy Tuning!! Cheer!!!!

Edited: There are some guys in youtube who can get Cinebench R20 @ 3100+ pts by using Throttlestop (mostly MSI Gaming Laptops). Yes, that's insane.

Last edited:

Thrasher

Hi everyone,

Here, I would like to share my experience in undervolting i7-8750H.
I bought a gaming laptop from a second-hand retailer last year. It costed me 55% of the original price and came with a defected 1T HDD.
It is a Lenovo Legion Y530, comes with i7-8750H, GTX 1050 4G, 24G RAM @2666mHz and 15.6 in display.
I used to play Pro Evolution Soccer 2020 within Steam App and the temperature was always 97 C.
Yes, that was before I heard of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Throttlestop.
A month ago I bought the thermal grizzly kryonaut and pasted in my machine.
After that, the temperature never goes above 74 C when I play PES2020 (maybe PES does not demand so much resources).
Today I found out this thread and wanted to try out to get the most out of my machine using Throttlestop and I am quite happy with the result.

My machine:
Lenovo Legion Y530 15INCH
CPU: i7-8750H
GPU: GTX 1050 4G
RAM: 24 G (8+16)@2666MHZ
256 Gb NVMe m.2 SSD

Cinebench Release 20 CPU Ranking : 2946 pts (Multi-Thread @ 6Cores 12 Threads)

Throttlestop setting:

CPU Core offset Voltage : -169.9 mV

Average PKG Power : 54W
Max Temp : 90 C

View attachment 167081

Cinebench Release 20 CPU Ranking : 2261 pts (Single-Thread @ 6Cores 6 Threads)

Throttlestop setting:

CPU Core offset Voltage : -150.4 mV

Average PKG Power : 47 W
Max Temp : 81 C

View attachment 167082

There were no throttling for the above results and i7-8750H was running at 3.9 GHz happily. I would like to call it the SWEET SPOT.

Frankly speaking, I have no technical knowledge of fine-tuning the CPUs with Throttlestop.
It was just trial and error. At some point I tried to offset the CPU Cache voltage at -165 mV but it introduced me the infamous Blue Screen of Death. I can make it back to -155 mV but -145 mV Cache offset can perform better in my case. I tried to offset the Core voltage at -1000 mV but -169.9 mV is the best that performed.
I started with -100 mV offset and lower the increment like -125, -130, -133, etc...
I think the cooling system of our machines also play a big part in this case.
Ok, that's it. Happy Tuning!! Cheer!!!!

Edited: There are some guys in youtube who can get Cinebench R20 @ 3100+ pts by using Throttlestop (mostly MSI Gaming Laptops). Yes, that's insane.
Thank you very much man the truth brought me results, I have been struggling since I bought it half a year ago, can you tell me specifically what model of kryonaut you used?

NattyliteSaber

I have a msi gs65 with a I7 - 8750H and a RTX2060. I have been playing around with throttle stop. I have the Turbo ratio limits set to 34 for all cores, Offset voltage to -150 and the turbo boost power limits long set to 22 and short to 26 with a limit of 1. With all that being said it has dropped the temps from mid 80's-90 to low to mid 70's. Computer runs fine and I'm happy with it now but am I leaving something on the table with the 34 on all cores and the low turbo boost power limits?

Thanks

unclewebb

am I leaving something on the table
You are leaving an awful lot of performance on the table. The 8750H has a 45W TDP rating. Cutting the power limit in half reduces maximum performance.

Computer runs fine and I'm happy
If you want more performance, you will need to increase your turbo power limits and allow your CPU to run hotter. Intel says that any core temperature under 100°C is a "safe operating temperature". You do not need to baby your laptop. If your goal is lower fan noise and heat output then your decision to lower your power limits is the best way to accomplish this. You can leave the turbo ratios at their default values. Your CPU will automatically slow down based on power consumption. No need to slow it down more than it needs to slow down.

NattyliteSaber

You are leaving an awful lot of performance on the table. The 8750H has a 45W TDP rating. Cutting the power limit in half reduces maximum performance.

If you want more performance, you will need to increase your turbo power limits and allow your CPU to run hotter. Intel says that any core temperature under 100°C is a "safe operating temperature". You do not need to baby your laptop. If your goal is lower fan noise and heat output then your decision to lower your power limits is the best way to accomplish this. You can leave the turbo ratios at their default values. Your CPU will automatically slow down based on power consumption. No need to slow it down more than it needs to slow down.

I bumped up the turbo boost power limits to 40 and 45 and running at default turbo ratio limits. Jumped temps up to mid to high 80's. Would moving the turbo ratio limits down slightly help with the temps?

unclewebb

help with the temps
Help what? Your temps are perfectly normal for a modern gaming laptop that has an Intel CPU. I would leave it as is and enjoy its performance.

Are these temps bothering you physically? Some people do not want an oven on their lap or do not want second degree burns when they touch their keyboard. If this is the problem then you might need to reduce the turbo ratio limits and slow your CPU down. Your CPU is not a problem when lightly loaded so maybe setting the turbo ratios to something like 41, 41, 38, 38, 35, 35 might work well. When lightly loaded, your CPU will still be able to run at its full rated speed. It will only slow down when heavily loaded.

Check the Log File option in ThrottleStop and go play a game. CPU power consumption might be fairly low depending on the game. If power consumption is low then slowing your CPU down would be the best option for you to reduce temperatures.

NattyliteSaber

Help what? Your temps are perfectly normal for a modern gaming laptop that has an Intel CPU. I would leave it as is and enjoy its performance.

Are these temps bothering you physically? Some people do not want an oven on their lap or do not want second degree burns when they touch their keyboard. If this is the problem then you might need to reduce the turbo ratio limits and slow your CPU down. Your CPU is not a problem when lightly loaded so maybe setting the turbo ratios to something like 41, 41, 38, 38, 35, 35 might work well. When lightly loaded, your CPU will still be able to run at its full rated speed. It will only slow down when heavily loaded.

Check the Log File option in ThrottleStop and go play a game. CPU power consumption might be fairly low depending on the game. If power consumption is low then slowing your CPU down would be the best option for you to reduce temperatures.

I was having terrible performance because of thermal throttling is why I originally started playing with throttle stop. I have ran the log file and see PL1 PL2 but not sure what that means

unclewebb

PL1 means your CPU is throttling so it does not exceed the long term turbo power limit.

PL2 means your CPU is throttling so it does not exceed the short term turbo power limit.

You lowered your turbo power limits so this makes sense.

Some users get more consistent game performance with power limit throttling compared to thermal throttling.

Lawrence_phaw

Thank you very much man the truth brought me results, I have been struggling since I bought it half a year ago, can you tell me specifically what model of kryonaut you used?

It is thermal grizzly Kryonaut.
20200910_163854.jpg

You don't have to apply too much kryonaut. You can learn it from some youtube videos.
Kind regards.

mick353

The 9750H, well an ideal voltage if you want to max it out with my combo is at a P1 and P2 set to 90.
Set the voltage to a core of between -60 and -80 and a core cache to -120 at the most.
-60 is my sweet spot with - 120 Cache.
Sitting at high 80s all day at 85w. ..

I"ll attach a few screenshots including Cinebench score of 3021
Of course i'm using the RTX2060 90w combo so slight changes..

Attachments

• BENCH- 50w gpu 90w max 85c.JPG
    BENCH- 50w gpu 90w max 85c.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 250
  • TS Bench 78.3w.JPG
    TS Bench 78.3w.JPG
    498.3 KB · Views: 241
  • CPU only 85W.jpg
    CPU only 85W.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 85q Cinebench 9750H.jpg
    85q Cinebench 9750H.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

daniflin

hello, I need help on trying to get the best performace for rendering on my laptop (for architecture)
this are the specs:

model: Acer predator helios (Predator PH315-51)
CPU: i7-8750H CPU
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666MHZ
1 SSD: 256 GB
2 SSD: 500 GB

I got 2397 on cinebench with this settings on throttlestop
1a.png

2a.png

3a.png

how can I boost this machine? or is at its limits?
thanks

unclewebb

Set the voltage to a core of between -60 and -80 and a core cache to -120 at the most.
You might have these two backwards. The cache voltage is always the limiting factor. The best way to adjust voltages is to set the core and cache equally to begin with. Find a point where you are stable. After that, back the cache off a little and then increase the core offset towards -200 mV in steps of -20 mV. Use Cinebench R20 for testing purposes when setting your offset voltages.

I got 2397 on cinebench
That is not a great Cinebench R20 score for an 8750H. Start by downloading the latest version of ThrottleStop from TechPowerUp.

Your laptop is using Speed Shift Technology. When you see SST in green on the main screen, do not check the Set Multiplier option. It does not do anything.

The rest of your settings are OK. At default settings, the 8750H will power limit throttle and slow down when heavily loaded. To try to get around this, you need to increase the two turbo power limits in the TPL window. Increase the turbo boost long value from 45W to 60W. Increase the short limit from 56W to 60W. This is just a starting point. Some laptops set internal power limits that cannot be bypassed so I just want to see how this change effects performance.

Run Cinebench R20 again. Open up the Limit Reasons window in ThrottleStop and while this benchmark is running, watch for anything lighting up in red. Watch the CORE column. That is the important one. Typically you will see either PL1 or PL2 if one of the power limits is causing a problem and you will see THERMAL if your CPU reaches its maximum safe temperature. Your CPU will automatically slow down if it gets too hot so no worries there. You might also want to turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop while testing so you have a record of your CPU's performance that you can attach to your next post. These minor tweaks should improve performance.

NattyliteSaber

PL1 means your CPU is throttling so it does not exceed the long term turbo power limit.

PL2 means your CPU is throttling so it does not exceed the short term turbo power limit.

You lowered your turbo power limits so this makes sense.

Some users get more consistent game performance with power limit throttling compared to thermal throttling.
Thanks for the help. If I set my long and short both to 45 with a 1 sec turbo time limit do you think that will cause any issues? After playing with everything I do see that the turbo boost power limits and turbo ratio limits are the most effective with temps.

unclewebb

do you think that will cause any issues?
I don't know. Make some adjustments, do some testing and find out what works best for you.

The turbo time limit controls when your CPU switches from the short power limit to the long power limit. If your power limits are set equally then it does not matter if your CPU switches power limits after 1 second or the default 28 seconds.

Last edited:

daniflin

hey so I tried again with the modification that you said (unclewebb, sorry I don't know how to reply on this forum lol).
I installed the last version of throttlestop (9.2), and changed the TPL values to 60. then I runned Cinebench R20 again and I got 2617 pts (before I had 2397 pts). here are some screenshots and the log file. also I didin't got any THERMAL messages on the Limit Reasonss windows.
b1.png
b2.png

b3.png
b4.png

can it be better ?

Attachments

• b1.png
    b1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 176
  • b2.png
    b2.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 217
  • b3.png
    b3.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 2020-09-10.txt
    16.9 KB · Views: 130

unclewebb

Your log file shows PL1 throttling at 45W and PL2 throttling at 56W. Some laptops set power limits internally and you cannot go beyond these limits. Try checking the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option and run another test. If your CPU is still limited to these values, there is nothing you can do.

daniflin

Your log file shows PL1 throttling at 45W and PL2 throttling at 56W. Some laptops set power limits internally and you cannot go beyond these limits. Try checking the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option and run another test. If your CPU is still limited to these values, there is nothing you can do.
well I checked that option and it didn't change anything . It keeps showing PL1 throttling at 45W and PL2 throttling at 56W and on Cinebench I got 2617 pts, so I guess that is the limit I can push this laptop. anyways, thanks a lot !

Dsanik

Hello,
I send my max score in Cinebench R20 - 3109cb.
NTB Lenovo Legion Y530
CPU i7-8750H
GPU GTX1060
Ram 32 GB

Throttlestop
Current undervolt : CPU Core -1000mV, CPU Cache -148mV , iGPU -148mV. Stock paste
PL1 55W
PL2 65W
Cinebench R20 score 3109, und -1000,-150,-125,_ořez.png

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
NTB Lenovo Legion Y530
CPU i7-8750H
GPU GTX1060
Ram 32 GB

Throttlestop
Current undervolt : CPU Core -1000mV, CPU Cache -148mV , iGPU -148mV. Stock paste
PL1 55W
PL2 65W
Congrats, your undervolt is not being applied, but your score is good.

Lawrence_phaw

Hello,
I send my max score in Cinebench R20 - 3109cb.
NTB Lenovo Legion Y530
CPU i7-8750H
GPU GTX1060
Ram 32 GB

Throttlestop
PL1 55W
PL2 65W
View attachment 168390

Thanks for sharing.
Are the power limits (55W and 65W) BIOS default or you took it down? My legion is set at 60W and 90W (by default).
Thanks for coming here. I am the one from youtube.
I will try your setting. But my machine has only 24G RAM.

Congrats, your undervolt is not being applied, but your score is good.

What do you mean his undervolt is not being applied? Can you explain, please? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

unclewebb

What do you mean his undervolt is not being applied?
I think @Caring1 saw that the core undervolt was set to -1000 mV so assumed that the undervolt was not being applied. Unless a screenshot of the FIVR window is posted, you cannot tell.

When the core is set to a ridiculous number like -1000 mV, obviously that is not being applied to the core or the core would be at 0 volts and would immediately crash. What can happen though is maybe -250 mV of that request is being used and the other -750 mV is being ignored by the CPU. In that case, some of the undervolt is being applied. Need to see a screenshot before concluding anything.

Dsanik

My settings Throttlestop
TS01.JPG
TS02.JPG

Screen HWmonitor

HWmon.JPG

What is maximum undervolt CPU?

unclewebb

The core and cache undervolt work together. If cache undervolt is set to -150 mV, maybe max core undervolt is -250 mV. If you set -250 mV for the core or -500 mV for the core or -1000 mV, the CPU will still use -250 mV. The CPU ignores really big voltage request numbers.

Do some testing with Cinebench R20. Start testing with the core at -175 mV and then -200 mV, -225 mV, etc. At some point, your Cinebench scores will stop improving. That is the maximum undervolt for your CPU. Leave the cache at -150 mV for all tests if it is stable.