• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Help] Windows will not load with NVIDIA drivers installed...

The problem started when I switched out my EVGA GTX280 and install my old EVGA 8800GT, and it's getting worse.

Windows Vista x64 SP1, 190.xx WHQL driver and mobo bios F6h = random freeze when booted into Windows, if it doesn't freeze within 10 mins, it could run for days. And if I shutdown the computer for a night, it would happen again.

Windows Vista x64 SP2, 191.xx WHQL and bios F9h . 9 out of 10 time, it couldn't boot into Windows with NVIDIA driver installed (freeze after the loading screen, black screen). It ran just fine if It passed the loading screen and happen again if I restart, shutdown the computer.

Once I uninstall the driver using safe mode, it booted into Windows just fine. Rolled back to 190.xx = same thing.

Only freezing, no bluescreen.

Reset bios to fail-safe mode did not fix the problem.

Any idea what's wrong? :(

Last edited:

{JNT}Raptor

System Name Ummmm...Mine
Processor I7 920 @ 4.2ghz @ 1.29v's load
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Cooling Custom 1/2 inch H20
Memory 3x2gb Patriot Sector 7 @2008Mhz 27-9-11-9 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 580 SC 900/1800/1090
Storage 1-Mushkin 60gb SSD 1-500GB WD Black and 2-1TB 32mb WD Black
Display(s) 25 inch Hanns-G 2ms
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Catalina
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Pro Series-Modular
Software All Kinds...and then some.
Benchmark Scores 3dMark 11 P7066 Compare Link- http://3dmark.com/3dm11/251153
Just started having the same damn issue with my XFX GTX285....started last night after I took it out and blew out the dust with my air can..........the windows VGA driver loads fine.....but as soon as I Install ANY 3d vid driver I get a hard lock after the logon emblem screen.....only option is to reboot to safe mode and uninstall the driver....then she boots right up no issue......only after the install of the Nvidia driver....ANY version makes it lockup on me.

In my case.....in retrospect......I think my card is busted.....I was playing Section 8 and it warped alittle on me....graphics got.......soupy is the only word I can think describes it........screen moved a little sluggish......I was still able to play the game.....just not as smooth as it's always been.....I yanked the card thinking it was hot....blew it out as I've always done.......wiped the driver.....rebooted and loaded the same driver.......and rebooted to the fun I'm having now. :D

It's not an answer.....but I wanted you to know that your not the only one feeling this kind of pain. :)

Last edited:
Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
I had that prob with xp64 and finally gave up. Have you overclocked your processor ?