• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help with 7800 gs volt mod

onetu3

I've just tried to volt mod my bfg 7800 gs and since this is my first time volt modding, I'm not quite sure about a few things. And to make matters worst, I accidently removed a wrong resistor and now my computer won't even power up with the 7800 gs attached. So I was wondering if there was anything I can do to fix it or is my card pretty much a goner.

Here's a picture taken from the vr-zone 7800 gs mod guide to show the resistor that I accident removed (circled in blue). I've already removed the resistors circled in red according to the mod guide at that site.

Sn33kyp33t

wow can you say RMA...or find that resistor and hope you can put it back on the correct way

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
by the way when BFG says no on the RMA ....try giving infrared a pm and see if he can work some magic!

System Name W.I.P.
Wow. Do you still have the resistor if so solder that bad boy back on! BTW, Sneeky is this attack of the clones or what? :wtf:

onetu3

Unfortunately, that resistor has broken into pieces (it is very small and fairly fragile). I also doubt that BFG is going to accept the RMA, which is why I didn't do it in the first place. I was hoping that maybe there was some way I can subsitute in another resistor or something in place of that one. I think I'll pm infrared like sneekypeet suggested and see what could be done. Thanks for replying and trying to help guys.

Sn33kyp33t

you have to know what the resistance of that was and you could hit up radioshack..trying asking someone with your card to measure the resistance of it for you?

onetu3

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. So if there's someone on here with a 7800 gs, if you would be so kind as to measure the resistance of that particular resistor for me then I can go out and find a resistor that closely matches it. Or if you can refer me to someone who has a 7800 gs. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Optech

I've just come across this thread while researching volt mods on the 7800 GS.

It so happens I have a BFG GF 7800 GS, and will be fairly easy to remove my card to look into the info you are needing. I am fairly knowledgeable in electronics, and very likely can find the exact info on the resistor you removed by accident.

I'll have to shut down this computer to take card out, so will be back soon, but may wait till tommorow to post my findings as I have a VERY busy weekend wityh HAMfest, an Amatuer Radio event in my local area.

Opt

(Opt is my MMO gaming name in ventrilo and what most my gaming friends call me)
aka Ryan (real first name)

onetu3

Awesome. Thanks for your willingness to help. I appreciate it :)