• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help with a few questions about pc shuting down

System Name R5 3600
Processor R5 3600
Motherboard b450 mortar max
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L240 Aio
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz cl16
Video Card(s) RX 6600 XT 8GB MECHx2 OCV1
Storage C drive samsung 980 evo m.2 storage drive Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 500gig Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) aoc 27g2
Case SilverStone FARA R1
Audio Device(s) sony ear buds
Power Supply SilverStone ET550-B 550W 80+ Bronze Essential
Mouse razer basilisk x hyperspeed
Keyboard Logitech G PRO X Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software windows 10 enterprise
hi to anyone that reads this and wants to give some information

this started a few months back. my sisters pc randomly shuts down when gaming and wont turn back on until its been off for about 5 minutes.
to me that says overheating so i checked temps and run stress tests seeing max 80c on the cpu so i changed to a 120mm aio from the stock intel cooler keeping teps down in the mid 70c range

then ive run stress tests on the gpu seeing max temps in the 70c range ( system still shuts down and wont turn back on for 5 minutes when shes playing games ) so maybe its not overheating and something else is wrong

i then changed the cpu mother bored and ram with spears i have. im currently only re using the psu and ssd plus fans and aio and gpu ( system still shuts down)

i have checked nothing is overclocked and that everything is set to default in the bios and that drivers are up to date.

would a bad psu make a system shuts down and wont turn back on for 5 minutes ?? . currently i don't have a spear to try but im open to buying a new one if its a possibility that its the reason for the shutdown

i dont think its a software problem or gpu problem but i will be testing with my old gpu tomorrow to rule that out also. if a psu and a gpu change does not fix it then idk hat to try next apart from a clean windows install but i dont see how software would have them symptoms or can it ??

also its a hard shutdown. no error message or blue screen

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win10 pro 2. win10 pro 3, win10 home
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
yes that sounds like something over heating in the PSU and it wont restart untill its had time to cool off. fix-new PSU i think.

System Name R5 3600
Processor R5 3600
Storage C drive samsung 980 evo m.2 storage drive Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 500gig Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) aoc 27g2
Case SilverStone FARA R1
yes that sounds like something over heating in the PSU and it wont restart untill its had time to cool off. fix-new PSU i think.
ok so yes a bad psu can make a system shuts down and wont turn back on for 5 minutes.

thank you for clarifying its a possibility. i will replace it and hope it the fix

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
is there any dust in the PSU ? if so clean it out because it could just be dust tripping the thermal protection.

System Name R5 3600
Processor R5 3600
Display(s) aoc 27g2
Case SilverStone FARA R1
is there any dust in the PSU ? if so clean it out because it could just be dust tripping the thermal protection.
i should of added that 1st thing i did with the system was took everything apart dusted everything changed thermal compound when i was testing the temps .
i know its not advised but i do take apart the psu and clean them out. i have 4 systems i regularly maintain. i try keep them dust free every 6 months

ill replace it and if it still shutting down ill go from there but idk im kind of stumped at what else it could be @ this point its pretty much a new pc. old parts but everything pretty much swapped out

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Dont go wasting money on the first response that your PSU is bad, do some testing, test the system with a known good PSU atleast. :shadedshu:

Knowing the system specs matter here. Assume you buy the same PSU as whats in it, after you install it and it has the same issues ( that might not creep up til down the road), you wont be able to return it (usually). Now if the PSU is underrated or a known poor design ( system specs again), we can suggest a better option.

System Name schweinestalle
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
Motherboard Asus Prime - Pro X 570 + Asus PCI -E AC68 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter
Cooling Standard Air
Memory Kingston HyperX 2 x 16 gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8 GB Strix
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Display(s) Asus XG 32 V ROG
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Audio Device(s) Realtech standard
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular
Mouse CM Havoc
Keyboard Corsair Cherry Mechanical
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Unigine_Superposition 4K ultra 7582
yep psu i had i go was doing similar shit , 2 year old corsair modular , seems unlikely but it was . Luckily it had a 3 year warranty . I didn't have the gear to test a fucked psu so i took it to a shop and they declared it fucked and i got the warranty :)

System Name R5 3600
Processor R5 3600
Display(s) aoc 27g2
Case SilverStone FARA R1
Dont go wasting money on the first response that your PSU is bad, do some testing, test the system with a known good PSU atleast. :shadedshu:

Knowing the system specs matter here. Assume you buy the same PSU as whats in it, after you install it and it has the same issues ( that might not creep up til down the road), you wont be able to return it (usually). Now if the PSU is underrated or a known poor design ( system specs again), we can suggest a better option.
yep psu i had i go was doing similar shit , 2 year old corsair modular , seems unlikely but it was . Luckily it had a 3 year warranty . I didn't have the gear to test a fucked psu so i took it to a shop and they declared it fucked and i got the warranty :)
its cool ill try a change 1st and if im having problems ill come back to ask for some more advise. thanks

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
would a bad psu make a system shuts down and wont turn back on for 5 minutes ?? . currently i don't have a spear to try
You said you have 4 computers you maintain. Perhaps you can temporarily pull one of their power supplies and try it in your sister's computer to see what happens.

Dont go wasting money on the first response that your PSU is bad,
:( I will note the OP has said he already tried a different motherboard, different CPU, and different RAM and still had this problem. The PSU is the most logical first response - it certainly was my first thought.

He also said he is going to try a different GPU tomorrow just to rule that out. That is a wise precaution but it does not sound like a GPU problem.

With 4 PCs he maintains, his sister's computer and perhaps his own computer (if not one of those 4), IMO it would NOT be a waste of money to simply have a spare PSU on hand. In fact, IMO, everyone who, by choice or otherwise, has become the family, friends, and/or neighborhood go-to computer guy should have, if nothing else, a known good spare PSU on hand.

@RodClutcher - first, don't waste your time reinstalling Windows - yet. I agree this does not look to be a software issue. And besides, reinstalling the OS should always be a last resort option. Besides the fact reinstalling Windows often does not fix the problem, you lose your installed programs, customizations, and personal data files. And you could possibly put the computer months, if not years behind in security updates.

Plus you destroy any potential evidence of the problem. So if by chance reinstalling does fix the problem, you don't learn anything from it that may help prevent recurrence of the problem.

I think it wise to try a different graphics solution just to remove that from the equation. But I don't think it will resolve your problem - at least not permanently. If the second card is significantly less power hungry and the problem is caused by a failing (thus weak) component in your PSU, your problem may not appear right away. But that failing component will continue to age and weaker further and eventually the problem will return - only not intermittently. :( Then your sister will be unhappy with you for not fixing the problem permanently. ;)

As for cleaning the PSU, I agree. Anything that plugs into the wall can kill! :eek: While the deadly voltages are supposed to bleed off almost immediately, we are talking about a potentially faulty PSU here. No point in risking injury. So unless you are a properly trained and qualified electronics technician. Don't open PSU cases - there are no "user-serviceable" parts inside anyway. But you can still clean them by using a wooden Popsicle or glue stick to hold the fan stationary (so you don't over-spin it and damage the bearings), then blast the heat trapping dust out of the PSU with compressed air.

One last thing you can try temporarily is to remove the side panel of the PC case and blast a desk fan in there. If this is heat related, it might help keep your sister gaming until your replacement PSU arrives - assuming that is the problem.

1. Well a stock cooler should be replaced with a 3rd party cooler on any gaming box, but keep in mind. a $50 air cooler will easily outperform and 120mm AIO ever made. .... and most 240's

2. You changed the motherboard ... always a "last resort" kinda thing. While supposed to be doable by removing all hardware drivers and installing new ones, for whatever reason, most of us will wind up to a fresh windows install. If for nothing else, it eliminates borked drives as a possible cause. When troubleshooting, change components one at a time .... by changing MoBos, you introduced a whole new set of additional potential problems, significantly makeing the trouble shooting process more difficult. On all of our builds, we typically install the OS on an SSD and then, on a 2nd (SSD or SSHD), install abck up to allow booting to the 2nd installation. This permits an easy and quick test to see if Windows is borked. And if you do need to reinstall.... it's just a matter of cloningg one tpthe other. If you change MoBos, all your apps and data remain untouched, just install the apps over themselves for those that require user files or registry settings.

3. A bad PSU can cause many things, but the 1st step in troubleshooting would be to see if PSU is properly sized for you syste,. Fill in your system profile, inc;luding specvif make and models for each component so this can be looked at.

4. What is your case cooling. What ,model fans, what size / rpm , how many ins / how many outs

5. Have you disabled auto restart after crashes ?

6. What do your Windows system logs say ? Use event viewer to determine existence of any errors or warnings in the file ?

7. How old is the PC ? How often to your perform maintenance .... ypu said you're cleaning air filters, blowing out dust every 6 moinths, Anyhting else ? Removing / reseating components ?

8. Did you create a system baseline ... running a stress test (RoG Real Bench / Furmark) and recording voltages, temps etc w/ HWiNFO ? If so, have your periodically checked for variations ?

9. Have you checked for voltage instabilities, hi temps etc (HWiNFO) since this problem surfaced ?

10. When you ran the stress test, were you observing / logging data w/ HWiNFO ?

11. You indicated you had 4 PCs, can you not borrow a PSU from one of those for a few minutes ?

12. Going forward .....

Diagnostic Steps (Whats wrong now):
a) make sure auto restart is disabled
b) examine Windows System logs with Event Viewer, record (copy to a Notepad file) all messages associated with errors or warnings
c) do a web search on all messages for causes and solutions, correct where possible.
d) proceed to either hardware or OS / Driver troubleshooting depending upon what seems likely from above
e) Create a baseline ... Run RoG RealBench (8 minute benchmark) while observing and recording max core temps and voltage / system voltages/ GPU temps and voltages and anything that "pops out" as cause for concern. If you crash, read Windows System Log
f) Use a 3D Benchmark or Furmark to test GPU stability... again record GPU temps
g) Take off side panel and use a desk fan to blow air inside case ... see if temps improve ... but you seem to have addressed this w/ the cooler swap.
h) Act accordingly based upon above results ...

Hardware troubleshooting:
a) address and case cooling if that was determined to be an issue. Address following issues as may have been indicated by results in Diagnostic section
b) remove, clean and re-seat all hardware and cables. open ya MoBo manual and make sure ya have matched pair of RAM (purchased in same package) in correct slots
c) Make sure EPOS cable near CPU is installed and firmly connetced
d) Run MemTest86+ and go to bed ... look at results in morning
e) if passes, repeat steps e and f from Diagnostics section above... if not run 1 stick at a time in primary slot. Swap RAM if available and try again
f) Uninstall GFX card drivers and associated applications, use CCleaner to remove any leftover GFX card related entries ONLY. Make registry backup before proceeding.
g) Shutdown and install GFX card .... restart and install drives / desired associated applications
h) Using borrowed PSU, shut down and replace.... be sure to replace ALL necesssary connections. repeat e and f from diagnostic section

OS / Driver Troubleshooting:
a) Run the usual OS verification steps such as sfc scannow, Windows Update Checker, repair etc Check tenforums for instructions (assuming windows 10)
b) Download all hardware drivers for you current system *** direct from manufacturer's web sites**
c) Disconnect your connection to internet.
d) Check for any presence or remnants of old MoBo hardware drivers and remove.
d+) Takes bit more time but oft worth the effort ... Uninstall all hardware drivers (make sure you have replacements from b) before doing to)
e) Install all hardware drivers ... MoBo 1st ... again using only drivers from manufacturers web site

Would have added a few more tips but lunch over and have to get back to work :)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
1. Well a stock cooler should be replaced with a 3rd party cooler on any gaming box
Well, of course that's a blanket statement and like all blanket statements, it is just not true (and yes - I see the irony in that statement). Stock coolers are much more capable than they were in years past. And of course, even the best cooler (stock or 3rd party) requires adequate case cooling first and foremost.

There are millions of stock coolers on gaming machines providing adequate cooling right now. It is silly to suggest they all need to be replaced just because the computer is used for gaming. Check your temps first. I like Core Temp for that as it sits in your system tray/notification area and checks temps in real time. It they sit near thermal threshold levels for extended periods of time, or worse, cross over thermal thresholds, check your case cooling first. All you may need is another case fan to increase the flow of cool air through the case.

While it is true that many of the better aftermarket coolers provide better cooling than the OEM stock coolers, cooler temperatures does NOT automatically it is better. As long as your temps are comfortably within the "normal operating temperature range", you are fine. That is, there is nothing to suggest a CPU running at 25°C when tasked will perform better, be more stable or have better longevity than a CPU that runs at 55°C or even warmer when tasked.

Now if you are doing some serious overclocking, then you probably will need a 3rd party cooler. But then if doing some serious overclocking, hopefully you did your homework and bought a CPU designed to support such overclocking - most of which don't come with stock OEM coolers. So with those, the whole point is moot.

Remember, it is the case's responsibility to provide an adequate supply of cool air. The CPU cooler need only toss the CPU's heat into that flow. And don't forget ambient (room) temps play important roll in proper computer cooling too. If your room is hot and you have poor case cooling, it will not matter how good your CPU cooler is. Basements make great (and cool) computer gaming rooms.

And last, it is the user's responsibility to set up proper case cooling.

System Name R5 3600
Processor R5 3600
Display(s) aoc 27g2
Case SilverStone FARA R1
for cleaning i do a full strip down every 6 months but normally i will not remove ram or cpu from the socket. its stupidly dusty in my place. i know people that go years with out seeing the amount of dust i do in a month

in this case i feel after cleaning and doing some basic tests on the parts. changing them out is the next correct step because the system still shutdown with different parts meaning to me no point testing the original parts again and to look at the one that have not been changed out hints to why im thinking its a psu issue or hopefully not software related ( no peripherals used apart from mouse keyboard and monitor ) parts changed out. cpu motherboard and ram in one go.

i was thinking possible bad solder joint or rusted tracer bad cap ect being the age of the parts.( 9 ish yrs old) if it was new i would jump right to a change of part

i use hwinfo64 to check temps .

heaven for the gpu test just left running for a while and Prime95 for cpu maybe not the best but i thought it be ok to use .

no MemTest86+ as i didn't see the point of to be honest.

if its software related i don't know why the system would need 5 minutes before allowing it self to turn back on but its windows after all.( this is why i went right to temps and thermal shutdown)

i cleared cmos when making sure nothing was overclocked so auto restart would be on now but would of been on before if the option exists honestly i haven't looked.

only thing i change in bio is turn off chassis warning sound as the side panel has been replaced with a custom mesh panel old cased kind of suck for air intake unless you mod them i don't know who though closed panel was a smart idea

i prefer to have my pcs set up with a primary ssd OS and a platter storage drive and i like to use macrium reflect and take clones of the C drives every so often so i can restore if they do dumb stuff to the OS Malware,virus ect.
its possible doing that ive corrupted files so yeh at some point ill need to start from 100% clean install @ that point ill rule out driver or software issues

id say no the current psu isn't properly sized its a 750w cooler master and the system should only need something like a 550w being that its a i7 2600k 24 gig ddr3 and a 1050ti with 1 ssd 1 storage drive a 120mm aio 2 case fans.

i guess i could use a psu that i know is working out of one of the systems but i don't like the idea of it potentially having two systems go bad and no was in heck am i going to put my new parts in that 9 yr old thing haha so i ordered a SilverStone ET550-B 550W 80+ Bronze Essential Power Supply for $65 i guess ill find out next week if that's was a mistake or not haha...

when it comes to testing with a different gpu i have a spare 1050ti that uses a 4 pin power connector

the 1050ti that is currently in the system only draws power from the pci slot but i don't think the power draw is of any significant difference

she only plays facebook games and something called maplestory so i dont think they are demanding games.
maybe they are pushing the system harder then i think.
i don't play them mmo type games but on saying that the system only shuts down when gaming.
i have not yet seen it 1st hand when doing any of the stress tests also its not consistent.
some days it will not happen when playing for hours.
others it will happen with in a short time then be ok again after 5 ish minutes and last how ever it wants to before repeating.

possible interference in the power lines i don't know if that's a thing ?? or overload in amps but id imagine that would trip a fuse or shut down the other stuff plugged in to that line. monitor and mobile charger on a 4 power strip directly connected to the wall. maybe bad power strip ??

System Name schweinestalle
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
Motherboard Asus Prime - Pro X 570 + Asus PCI -E AC68 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter
Cooling Standard Air
Memory Kingston HyperX 2 x 16 gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8 GB Strix
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Display(s) Asus XG 32 V ROG
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Audio Device(s) Realtech standard
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular
Mouse CM Havoc
Keyboard Corsair Cherry Mechanical
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Unigine_Superposition 4K ultra 7582
for cleaning i do a full strip down every 6 months but normally i will not remove ram or cpu from the socket. its stupidly dusty in my place. i know people that go years with out seeing the amount of dust i do in a month

in this case i feel after cleaning and doing some basic tests on the parts. changing them out is the next correct step because the system still shutdown with different parts meaning to me no point testing the original parts again and to look at the one that have not been changed out hints to why im thinking its a psu issue or hopefully not software related ( no peripherals used apart from mouse keyboard and monitor ) parts changed out. cpu motherboard and ram in one go.

i was thinking possible bad solder joint or rusted tracer bad cap ect being the age of the parts.( 9 ish yrs old) if it was new i would jump right to a change of part

heaven for the gpu test just left running for a while and Prime95 for cpu maybe not the best but i thought it be ok to use .

if its software related i don't know why the system would need 5 minutes before allowing it self to turn back on but its windows after all.( this is why i went right to temps and thermal shutdown)

i cleared cmos when making sure nothing was overclocked so auto restart would be on now but would of been on before if the option exists honestly i haven't looked.

only thing i change in bio is turn off chassis warning sound as the side panel has been replaced with a custom mesh panel old cased kind of suck for air intake unless you mod them i don't know who though closed panel was a smart idea

i prefer to have my pcs set up with a primary ssd OS and a platter storage drive and i like to use macrium reflect and take clones of the C drives every so often so i can restore if they do dumb stuff to the OS Malware,virus ect.
its possible doing that ive corrupted files so yeh at some point ill need to start from 100% clean install @ that point ill rule out driver or software issues

id say no the current psu isn't properly sized its a 750w cooler master and the system should only need something like a 550w being that its a i7 2600k 24 gig ddr3 and a 1050ti with 1 ssd 1 storage drive a 120mm aio 2 case fans.

i guess i could use a psu that i know is working out of one of the systems but i don't like the idea of it potentially having two systems go bad and no was in heck am i going to put my new parts in that 9 yr old thing haha so i ordered a SilverStone ET550-B 550W 80+ Bronze Essential Power Supply for $65 i guess ill find out next week if that's was a mistake or not haha...

when it comes to testing with a different gpu i have a spare 1050ti that uses a 4 pin power connector

the 1050ti that is currently in the system only draws power from the pci slot but i don't think the power draw is of any significant difference

she only plays facebook games and something called maplestory so i dont think they are demanding games.
i don't play them mmo type games but on saying that the system only shuts down when gaming.
i have not yet seen it 1st hand when doing any of the stress tests also its not consistent.
others it will happen with in a short time then be ok again after 5 ish minutes and last how ever it wants to before repeating.

possible interference in the power lines i don't know if that's a thing ?? or overload in amps but id imagine that would trip a fuse or shut down the other stuff plugged in to that line. monitor and mobile charger on a 4 power strip directly connected to the wall. maybe bad power strip ??
it will eat at you until its fixed :rolleyes:

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H

with all this, there is the chance that you had some static discharge and not know it.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Then it seems apparent to me, you need a different case - one that has removable, washable air filters.

Unless you leave all your windows open all the time, it is important to note most "house-dust" does not come from the great outdoors. By far, the majority of house-dust consists of (1) dead skin (dander) and hair from us humans and pets, (2) microscopic critters that eat that dander, and (3) the microscopic fecal matter those critters leave behind. :eek: :kookoo:

Other house dust content includes bits of lint from rugs, carpets, clothing and upholstering, kitchen smoke and oils, tobacco smoke. And yes, some pollen and actual dust from outdoors.

The fewer the number of animals (including humans) in the house, the less house-dust you will have. And if you do have animals and they are constantly running around and stirring up dust, you will have more dust drawn into your computer case.

I used to have 2 kids, a grandkid, and two dogs living in this house and I used to have to clean my filter every couple months and break down the computers and lug them outside for thorough cleaning twice a year. Today, its an empty nest and now I wash my filters twice a year. I Have not had to clean the interiors in more than 2 years. Same cases.

With my last case on this computer, it had no filters - and my back suffered for it. I will never has a case that does not have removable, washable air filters again.

Even with filters, dust will eventually get inside. But filters reduce the need for thorough interior cleaning by a very significant amount.

By the way - cats are the worst. Their dander is very oily compared to dogs (even hounds) and humans. And if the user is a cat owner and smokes around the computer too, there's a good chance you will need a hammer and chisel and a paint scraper to clean the interior of a neglected machine. :(

normally i will not remove ram or cpu from the socket
That's good. You should not have to. Those sockets are specifically designed to keep dust from getting between the contacts. You risk greater damage through mishandling and ESD when reseating RAM, CPUs and expansion cards. A decent blast with compressed air should be all you need to restore efficient cooling.

System Name R5 3600
Processor R5 3600
Display(s) aoc 27g2
Case SilverStone FARA R1
hi again everyone

so i just replaced the psu in the system and looks like its running fine so far BUT in hwinfo64 i am seeing add temperature readings i have added some photos of the temps sorry they are just off my phone. i dont have screen capture programs on that pc atm why is it showing Auxiliary temps @ 100 plus also what is Auxiliary mean and is it something i need to be worried about

thanks

Attachments

• CAM01031.jpg
    CAM01031.jpg
    986.5 KB · Views: 65
  • CAM01030.jpg
    CAM01030.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
hi again everyone

so i just replaced the psu in the system and looks like its running fine so far BUT in hwinfo64 i am seeing add temperature readings i have added some photos of the temps sorry they are just off my phone. i dont have screen capture programs on that pc atm why is it showing Auxiliary temps @ 100 plus also what is Auxiliary mean and is it something i need to be worried about

thanks
windows has screen capture tools, I prefer the Snipping Tool, but thats being phased out in favor of Snip & Sketch.
also if you save a log to file uploading that could help if anyone looks at them.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
When hardware monitors attempt to read sensors that don't exist (or are faulty), they often display temps that cannot be possible. 121°C is well above the boiling point of water. In fact, it is even above the melting point of some solders. I would not worry about that reading. Your CPU and other temps look fine.

Your 3.3VDC voltage reading is another story. The ATX Form Factor standard allows for ±5% variance. That means it can be from 3.14V to 3.47VDC. Yours is showing as low as 1.624V. Not sure the computer would even run if that were true. You might need to try yet another PSU. If you get similar readings, its likely your motherboard sensors.

System Name R5 3600
Processor R5 3600
Display(s) aoc 27g2
Case SilverStone FARA R1
its a old motherboard .from what you say it sounds like a none active sensors
i don't screen cap often so yeh ill remember windows has a built in one next time
any way thanks again for that info

System Name R5 3600
Processor R5 3600
Display(s) aoc 27g2
Case SilverStone FARA R1
well apparently the problem is still happening with computers shutting down on my sister. i say computers because ive now 100% swapped her other computer with one i know is works perfect with a new clean install of windows

i changed all power leads and tipple checked nothing is shorting on the power strip or extension cord. all new with quality leads

now i am thinking the only thing left is something she is plugging in to the computers is making it shutdown. is that a possible thing ???

she has one mouse one keyboard a usb head set and one monitor im not sure exactly the makes and models ect but i can find out if its any difference. i know the monitor is old and isnt hdmi and its using an adapter from vga to hdmi could that maybe making it shutdown

i can run benchmarks on both computers for days with out a shutdown. the minute i give it back to her with in a while ill get a report it shutdown. unless im being trolled then WTF is happening.

i looked in system event logs with event viewer but didn't see any errors apart from a Kernel-Power critical error message and Event ID 6008

so i said try a new keyboard and mouse but thats a long shot in my eyes but still trying it. what do yous think

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
Tell her to use the PC in a different room for a few days and check if issue persists.

System Name R5 3600
Processor R5 3600
Display(s) aoc 27g2
Case SilverStone FARA R1
Tell her to use the PC in a different room for a few days and check if issue persists.
i run the extension cord from my room in the power plug i have been using to power my computers for the past 20 years. i thought that was easier then moving the desk screen ect. i thought about the different room thing i have my bases covered on that veritable but thanks still