• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with BF3 Micro-Stuttering

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Brutus
Processor i5 4690k @4.7Ghz (Watercooled)
Motherboard z97 MSI Gaming 5
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 AIO watercooler
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 980ti x2 (sli)
Storage 1 SSD 64GB (OS) + 2x500GB WesternDigital RAID 0
Display(s) YAMAKASI Catleap q270 SE 27inch Glossy 2560x1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Antec TPQ 1200w
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
Hey guys, look @ my specs...

I've got the latest AMD drivers and a decent rig I guess... Nevertheless, I get this VERY annoying "look" micro sutter... especially when I combine mouse movement with keyboard movement...

I've noticed this quite a few times in other games too... like The Witcher 2 and sometimes crysis... When I'd face an object up close and keep looking @ it while I move around, my whole screen would micro-stutter...

I've heard like 100 different diagnostics for this situation... people saying it's the RAM... others saying it's the mouse... others say it's a driver thingy... or the games needs to be patched... and others will say "turn Hyper threading" off to solve this... Forcing V-Sync... and SO fourth ............

I'd like find someone who's had that problem and GOT IT fixed... I haven't tried turning HT off yet... I was wondering if I had to do a clean install of windows 7 if I do this... Because I never touched that particular setting before...

I just went testing... and noticed that the micro-stutter goes away when I disable v-sync... I have not tried with crossfire disabled yet...

Obviously, I'd like to keep v-sync on... image quality is just horrible when you get screen tearing all over the place... Isn't there another solution to this annoying problem???

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Better CPU will give you better performance, negating any stutter. Note that its' DX11 titles that give you the issue, and DX11 titles are such that they are the most CPU-GPU communication dependant.

So it's nto aobut the CPU's crunching power..It's about everything in between the PCUs and the VGAs that really makes the difference.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Nothing drastic. HT is just a BIOS setting. "Intel Hyper Threading Technology". Definitely try that next if you haven't. Will be under "CPU Features" or something like that in your BIOS.

Your CPU is essentially the same as mine and your GPUs are better and should be powerful enough to play this game on Ultra with 4X AA. I do not notice any stutter in any game in which Im otherwise getting good fps, for the record, and presently have HT off but was thinking about turning on again cause Im pretty sure it didn't cause any issue on my system. Biut it has def been reported as a fix for those getting stutter so you should try.

Also note that with HT off you can probably run that 4Ghz with a bit less vcore.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Easy stuff first. What "new drivers" are you using and do you have the latest Catalyst Application Profile installed? Nothing "performance wise" with your setup should be causing stuttering if everything is working properly.

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
Hmmm yeah... I do think that a better CPU would reduce the stutter... Nevertheless, that stutter goes away as soon as I turn off V-Sync... Which leads me to thinking at one point, maybe a better "v-sync" technology could fix all of this...

I have yet to try with 1 single card running with V-sync ON...

and I have yet to try with HT off... heard it helps... Apart from that, CAN'T wait to find the solution to this thing...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
As far as I am concerned, the only solution is better hardware, or turning V-sync off.

I jsut recently built up an i5 760 rig and plyed with my 6950's on BC2. was ok, but very slow compared to my current gaming rig. I suppose I could try out BF3 and see what's up, but I'm pretty busy review-wise right now.

If this was an issue in all apps, then I might be concerned, but your list has me very suspect that truly, you jsut have to deal with it.

You also might want to try using just one card, and see how that works for ya. Crossfire really isn't needed for 1920x1080.

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
Cooling Noctua nh-u12p se2
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card(s) POWERCOLOR HD 7970 3GB
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD / 2*320GB WDC RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 21" 1650*1080
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Professional PCI
Power Supply OCZ PC Power & Cooling 860W
Software Windows 7 x64
Hey guys, look @ my specs...

I've got the latest AMD drivers and a decent rig I guess... Nevertheless, I get this VERY annoying "look" micro sutter... especially when I combine mouse movement with keyboard movement...

I've noticed this quite a few times in other games too... like The Witcher 2 and sometimes crysis... When I'd face an object up close and keep looking @ it while I move around, my whole screen would micro-stutter...

I've heard like 100 different diagnostics for this situation... people saying it's the RAM... others saying it's the mouse... others say it's a driver thingy... or the games needs to be patched... and others will say "turn Hyper threading" off to solve this... Forcing V-Sync... and SO fourth ............

I'd like find someone who's had that problem and GOT IT fixed... I haven't tried turning HT off yet... I was wondering if I had to do a clean install of windows 7 if I do this... Because I never touched that particular setting before...

I just went testing... and noticed that the micro-stutter goes away when I disable v-sync... I have not tried with crossfire disabled yet...

Obviously, I'd like to keep v-sync on... image quality is just horrible when you get screen tearing all over the place... Isn't there another solution to this annoying problem???

As you say, stuttering can be caused by a lot of things.

I dont have any stuttering in any of the games above but kind of lived with it for years until one day, my wireless MX1000 Logitech laser mouse ran out of batteries and I was forced to use a cheapo standard wired USB mouse.....stuttering gone! I now use a wireless Razer Mamba which polls at 1000 Hz.... (no stuttering)

.....but then, this was the remedy to my problem which may not help you a lot with yours.....however, if you are using a less than top range wireless mouse (or a really crappy wired one), then that would certainly be worth investigating.

Other than that i have read that having hyper threading enabled (should your CPU support that) causes stuttering in BF3 and have also read that a lot of people with CF configurations are getting stuttering. Looking at the card you have, you could easily do without CF and still max the game out at ~ 50-60FPS (with FSAA off) as I can do this with my overclocked 5850 (1000 MHz GPU).

I would also recommend that you force V-sync through the D3D Overrider (packaged with RivaTuner) and force triple buffering through that application as well. This has resolved all V-sync gremlins for me in the past.

System Name CTG Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard Asus Strix B550-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 2x 16gb G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-32GTZN
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6800XT Gaming OC
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) MAG274QRF-QD | Asus vg248qe
Case Fractal Meshify 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlasterx G6
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 750w G2
Mouse Logitech G pro Wireless
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
+1 MatTheCat, I saw someone with a Crossfire of HD5870 having micro stuttering on BF3.. Try with one card.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Yes like erocker asked what driver and CAP exactly? Latest 11.10 WHQL that just came out? Though Im still on Preview 3 + 11.9 CAP4 and I am not sure offhand what one is supposed to do for a CAP with 11.10 Official offhand.

Your CPU is plenty good I'm telling you. This is surely a crossfire-related issue but the majority of multipgpu users of both camps are fine it should be able to be rectified. Test one card and could also even test more than one crossfire bridge, at least for more thorough troubleshooting and to collect more info. But also def try HT off, it's easy and worth a shot.

And I wouldn't rule out a Windows reinstall either if you haven't done it in awhile. Old driver remnants could be hanging around despite all the "cleanings" under the sun. Hell get another used hard drive and put Windows on that if you have too much data and settings to redo. At least you'll know.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Your hardware kicks-ASS. U have some configure issue.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Indeed. It's a pesky software-related issue. Sometimes I really can't blame devs for preferring consoles as hard as it is to admit.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Yea. No kidding. A 360 has what...like 512mb vram?...and the game runs decent.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Well the main point is it's a controlled environment and these wierd software conflicts/problems aren't an issue. MS makes sure of it.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
Does the stutter go away when you turn down the resolution and/or quality that you are attempting to run the game at?

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
Ok guys, here's a few answers to your questions and remarks:

Yes I did try the d3d overrider thingy... Forcing V-Sync and all... Didn't fix it (that was with crossfire on and V-Sync...)

My rig should eat that game alive... yet.... the stutter appears (when v-sync is on)... My mouse is the CM storm Sentinel ... I can go from 200dpi to 5600dpi... and up to 1000 for USB report rate...

So no, I don't think the mouse should be blamed... Altho, maybe the game devs develop their games for standard mouses... I have yet to try with my wife's "standard" mouse to see what happens...

And this stutter I'm talkin about... has always shown up when the current factors were in place:

CF = on
Vsync = on
I'm in a "closed" area... (like in between 2 walls) looking at brick lines...
and the stutter often shows up more if I move MOUSE + KEYBOARD arrows...

My gut feeling about this is that it has to do with HT... my RAM or even my CPU speed... I remember that for a while I lost the stutter in Dragon Age 2... when I upped my OC to 4ghz... Lately, my temps have risen a little (enough to get me concerned) ... so I dropped back to my original 3.6ghz OC to keep the temps around 60c @ max load...

I have The 11.10 drivers and CAP 4 (the latest)... AND BTW... for those of you who have read that BF3 and HT are known to have issues together... CAP 4 is said "to fix the stuttering issues in BF3 with CF..."

I just wish I could solve the mystery... I'm leaving for work now... so tonight I will be turning HT off and trying single card config to see what happens (with v-sync on...)

Turning HT off won't F... my system will it?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Turning HT off is fine. But in that case, you should have got a i5 760. :p There should be no need WHATSOEVER to turn off HT.

Bloody server keeps crashing..many people have problems with the game itself crashing...

Kinda hard to blame fault on hardware when the app is clearly broken, but I will say that your cards will perform much better on an Intel SKT1155 rig. No matter what anyone else says, that is 100% fact.

So, CPU is a bottleneck for dual 6950's...otherwise, changing CPU would make ZERO difference. However, in reality, it can make a very large difference, so clearly your CPU isn't 100% up to pushing those cards fully.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Should be no need, no. If that is really a bug then DICE will patch. Though I was surprised when I heard that as the game seems very well threaded and I'm pretty certain I got no issues from HT on. Need to enable again and see. It's really just hearsay at this point but OP should try it.

No, HT just turns off the additional 4 virtual cores. Performance monitor will show 4 little graphs instead of 8. You will experience zero difference generally at least gaming and doing "normal" stuff like browsing web. Except if it happens to fix your stuttering then I'd call that a "difference". :)

As for Cadaveca's comment re i5 vs i7 thats generally true but his CPU also has unlocked multi. And the i7s also have the 2:12 RAM ratio.

And yeah "the app" has issues like any game at release but it's way too much of a unfair stretch to call it "broken". Most of us are fine with no stuttering or other game-breaking issues. And lets not forget I say that having had to work around the Q bind problem with Autokey.

Last edited:
System Name mine
Processor I7- 7700K
Motherboard MSI Z270 Mortor
Cooling Cooler master V6GT
Memory 16gb corsair
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX1080 amp!
Storage m.2 ssd
Display(s) Benq xl2411
Case SilverStone FT02 - ltd edition red
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Windows 10 64bit
turning HT off solved my micro stuttering :) has for anyone else i no with a 4 core 8 threads cpu too

cadaveca

My name is Dave
And yeah "the app" has issues like any game at release but it's way too much of a unfair stretch to call it "broken". Most of us are fine with no stuttering or other game-breaking issues. And lets not forget I say that having had to work around the Q bind problem with Autokey.

I'm glad you have relatively few issues. I am not so fortunate, with having to download the gmae 5 times total before it even started to work, which means a total of over 50GB I downloaded so far for one game. Then, there's the server drop-outs, the flicker, the pausing(not stutter), the crashes, and numerous other problems that ahve nothing to do with anything but the sub-par coding and quality assurance.

Al lthat said, unless it works perfectly, for everyone, then yes, it is broken. Now, do I midn that it is broken, or am I angry about it? Heck NO!!! Even with the issues, I enjoy it a tonne, but that fact is....

It is broken.

Now, judging system performance and trying to pinpoint problems with broken software is jsut asking to get a headache, if not go mental.

All of the OP's problems are related to DirectX 11. It's very possible DirectX is corrupted. Such things can cause issues like this. However, as i mentioned before, running DirectX 11-based applications, while using Multi-GPU rendering, is very system bandwidth intensive. the truth of the matter is that eve nthe fastest current hardware still has issues meeting the bandwidth needs of Multi-GPU technology, such that IOMMU fnction is rumoured to be integrated into Next-Gen GPUs, as a way to circumvent this very real problem.

And I didn't start that rumour, but I am very nearly the only person here on TPU saying that system bandwidth is such situations is important, and that many systems are just plain old inadequate. Clearly understand this problem is something that is not often explained, and understandably so, as DirectX 11 itself is quite new.

To get the very bet DirectX 11 gamnig experience, you need either a Bulldozer chip, or Sandybridge. Sure, you can get by with less...but that's all it will ever be...getting by.

Will it solve the OP's stutter? Honestly, I cannot say for sure, but what I can say, is that I am using the same videocards, and the same drivers, and the same OS. I do not have the same problem, so it's soemthing to look at, when all the other possibilities have been explored.

The OP has stated that he has exhausted nearly every other attempt to avoid the problem in the past, so clearly he needs to start looking "outside the box"...even the turning off HT thing was in his OP as something he tried. I am not sure why peopel are stil leven mentioning it when he siad he already tried...

I used to complain about Microstutter..I do not any longer. I DID solve my stutter issues.

:D

System Name mine
Processor I7- 7700K
Motherboard MSI Z270 Mortor
Cooling Cooler master V6GT
Memory 16gb corsair
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX1080 amp!
Storage m.2 ssd
Display(s) Benq xl2411
Case SilverStone FT02 - ltd edition red
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Windows 10 64bit
in his OP he didnt say hed tried it, his last post was actually him asking if turning HT off would F his system..and it wouldnt.

Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97i Plus
Cooling Antec Kuhler 620 + Gentle Typhoon 3000RPM
Memory A-DATA XPG V2 DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Storage Samsung 850 Ev0 500GB
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 @100Hz
Case Silverstone SG13
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone SX-500LG
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Not interested in benchmarks
install the latest 11.10. you should not be playing BF3 with 11.9 anyways.
if it doesn't fix it, disable HT. but HT doesn't make it microstutter. It makes it do heavy stutter. Microstuttering issues, if any, should be resolved with the driver update.

This is what HT causes.

With Hyperthreading
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlnoTRxCljY

Without Hyperthreading
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNjKrtG4q4Y

See how the FPS is fluctuating with HT? This is not microstuttering. This is some huge ass massive stuttering. :D

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Turning HTing off will fix it. My friend had the same issue and once he disabled HTing it disappeared.

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
Thank you guys for all the input... @ Anusha: I have the latest drivers... Read carefully... I mentionned I had 11.10 drivers with cap4 (the latest)...

As for HT being turned off... I never tried this alternative before... I did A LOT of research on the matter and my conclusion was that it "hurts my pride" to turn the thing off knowing I spent extra to have it...

I could have bought an AMD for WAY cheaper and have no HT... and I gotta say I'm very dissapointed to discover that most of the time HT hurts pc game performance compared to when it's off...

I don't know if future dx11 titles will use HT to increase performance...

@ Cadaveca: I totally agree with you about the CPU having a HUGE influence on how well 2x6950 perform... I don't consider my i7 875k (unlocked and OCed) to be a MAJOR bottleneck for the cards... Actually, far from that...

Altho, my MOBO might just require an upgrade sometime soon... But when I do upgrade it, I'll also get a new CPU... My mobo limits my 2x cards to 8x bandwith each ... instead of 16x... Altho I hear it's not much of a perf loss ... Somewhere between 10 to 17% perf drop...

I'm goin to try with single card config with v-sync on and I'll try HT off if it doesn't fix it... I'm doing that in the next minutes... I WILL POST my results in a few mins...

But like I said, IT HURTS my pride to turn off HT, that i7 875k cost me 330$, I was not well aware of how better RAW cpus... like AMD's 6 cores perform just as well... without the HT issues...

Be back in a few mins with results

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
HTing off is the only solution. My friend runs a GTX580, and tried different setups with different cards with no real change. Once he turned HTing off, fixed. Who gives a shit if you paid extra for it? If it makes the game borderline unplayable, it's not worth having on...

System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
The mobo limits I would consider quite a bit of performance loss for the cards but maybe thats just me....

Status
Not open for further replies.