1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help with car

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by a111087, Jul 11, 2008.

1. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I'm really bad with cars... I know absolutely nothing about them and don't really know anyone who would have a good answer to my question...
    So, the front bumper of my car started to get some dots... I looked closer and saw that pain was chipping off... And of course slight rust started to grow already (there are some other rusty places as well :laugh: )...

So, I'm guessing I would need to get rid of the rust first with this
    http://www.brandsport.com/plik-622.html

Then wash the car and paint it with this
    http://www.brandsport.com/toy-00258-004s2.html

But do I need to shave off some of the paint before that, is it just a temporary solution only and is there a better solution that you would recommend?

So, any comments are welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ that pic makes me proud :laugh: Its the back of the car and frankly I don't know what to do about all that rust

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Could you post up a picture? Is it paint on metal or plastic, or is it chrome?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    waiting for pix :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    pics are up at first post.
    I'm going to say it is paint on metal.. at least it feels like metal :)

6. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    You can't fix the back with touchup paint. You can try, but it probably won't turn out too well.

a111087 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    touch up paint for the hood and for the bumper/hitch you're gonna have to do some masking/sanding/priming/painting

a111087 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say for the front of your car you have the right idea. For the rear, you could just try finding a new bumper, and below that is just the hitch, but either way sand it down, use the rust converter, clean off, prime, let dry, sand again and paint black with spray paint. Use several light coats for the best results. Of course, it's spray paint, you can only get it to look so good, but it's better than rust.:)

a111087 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    looks like a Tacoma . . .

IIRC, the hood is metal, judging by the pics, the cancer isn't in any chrome areas . . .

so - as to the truck body itself, the hood, etc, my professional opinion is to have a body shop address those spots - as the rust would need to be cleaned away as best as possible, which would require striping a decent area around the spot itself; then that area would have to be primered, prepped, painted, sanded, matched, etc, etc, etc

I can't really recommend trying to clean the rust with a steel or aluminum brush, as that would further damage the paint in surrounding areas . . .

if you're looking for waht will slow the rust down extensively - if you're willing to tackle it, you could use some medium coarse sandpaper and very carefully sand the small rust spot, trying to remove as much rust as possible . . . once the spot is fairly flat and metal colored, you could spray a couple layers of clear laquer over it . . . . keep in mind though, the spot will still be visible, and the laquer coats will be slightly visible as well

as to the bumper and tow-hitch . . . as long as they're painted surfaces to begin with, you can take some coarse sand paper to em to remove the flakiness and rust, then prep again with fine grit, and once everything is fairly smooth you can repaint them with a couple of coats, then a coat or two of clear laquer

***take my suggestions with a major grain of salt, though - I'm only a mechanic, not a body tech :p

10. Snipermonkey2

Snipermonkey2

Thanks Received:
    The front paint chips are from bugs guts roasting in the sun and you not cleaning your car.

a111087 says thanks.
  11. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    unfortunately, that is quite true :eek:
    but I never really considered it to be completely my car... it was already dirty when i got it...

it took me awhile to notice that it was the only car I was driving and no one told me to actually take care of it. but then I realized that if I will not take care of, no one will... so I'm trying to make up for my mistakes

But do not fear, I will wash it in the next few days

and just so you know, its Toyota 4runner

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  12. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    OK, so far I got only wax and rust remover, still waiting for touch up paint
    and while I was washing the car, I noticed so much places where little pieces of paint have chipped off... but thankfully they are really small.

So, I washed my car, removed rust to the best of my abilities and sprayed with wax where paint was alright.

So take a look at this, I know there is still rust and I will try to get it out later, hopefully wax will do what it says on a bottle (protect from moisture and prevent rust, I used three times more wax than I should have :laugh:) :

[​IMG]