• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with i7-8550U performance

kkovacs

I am new here and have been helped a lot by reading the forums but there is something I would like to ask help with.

I have a Huawei Matebook Pro with an i7-8550U and a dedicated MX150 NVIDIA card. What lead me to TS was that I was trying to record video in FHD with 60fps using Logitech's Capture software and my laptop would throttle. First few mins of video is ok. Next one less fps, next one even less ending up at around 20 fps. I realized after a while that my system was throttling like mad on TD.

Using what I learned here I was able to use TS to undervolt the CPU and gfx card by about 80 mv. That did not help much. Then I disabled and locked turbo limits and suddenly no problem with 60 fps except an overheating CPU which I need to solve with improving heat dissipation.

However, here is the catch. Disabling turbo completely in TS, I was STILL able to record at 60fps FHD consistently and not overheating. Which makes me wonder, why would the laptop not be able to do this out of the box - it is not an unreasonable task I believe (or is it?). And does this mean the throttling I was experiencing pushed my processor way below base speed? Is there a way to know how much throttling is going on?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
You could just monitor the frequency to see how your CPU is throttling, usually when throttling the frequency is lower than the base frequency.