• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help With Installing Realtek HD Audio Drivers & ASUS 2018/19

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Processor i7-8750H @2.2GHz
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5
Storage 240 GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Display(s) 144 Hz Full-HD IPS, 1920x1080
Audio Device(s) Audio-Technica M50x Headphones
Mouse Logitech G Pro (HERO) RGB
Software Windows 10 64-Bit
Hello, I'm having to seek help from this wonderful community here on TechPowerUp, as the official tech giant's support services have a rather nonchalant and ineffectual approach to solving these sorts of problems. The reason is mostly due to the end users preferences for using software that in their view; "isn't their problem to fix". It's a little frustrating, honestly.

Anyway, long story short I have bought a brand new Asus ROG Laptop.
- It has Windows 10, 64-bit, 1809 version.
- It came with Realtek pre-installed (which I didn't like because the manager was missing...well actually there was a strange "console" app instead that didn't resemble anything like the Realtek manager I've been use to in the past.)
- It also has a single Headphone/Microphone combo jack.

It's very simple from my perspective. I have a library of music I want to listen to (I currently use Foobar2000) and I'd like a specific audio setup to suit my needs.
Instead I've spent several days trying to wrap my head around - drivers, dll files, inf files, APO's, API's, registry changes, install & uninstall procedures... ugh. All in the name of custom audio. My brain has simply given up.

I have created some screenshots from my older laptop (HP) setup, showcasing what - up 'till now - I've been reasonably happy with. Minimal, but very useful and stable. (No crashes and good sound)
Realtek-Sound ImageEdit1.jpg

Realtek-Sound ImageEdit2.jpg

Realtek-Sound ImageEdit3.jpg

Realtek-Sound ImageEdit4.jpg

What I'll require are a few links to the correct files needed, and a simple step-by-step tutorial on how to install the setup.
- There's a lot of confusing information. Some say to use the Control Panel Device Manager to install/uninstall the drivers, others say to use Realtek's setup.exe for a complete install.
- Additionally, after a few unsuccessful attempts to find a driver version that has the Realtek HD Audio Manager (with the settings button), Windows decides to override the installation and update the driver back to the "latest" version that originally came pre-installed.

Before I turn this into a rant I'll just list off what I'm looking for, and hopefully someone will come to the rescue.:)

> Realtek High Definition Audio (Driver/Codec) compatible with my system.

> A version of Realtek HD Audio Manager that shows both the "i" info symbol, and the "advanced settings" symbol.
The manager needs to startup automatically when I turn on my computer (not the app - the service in the background) Red Speakers should show up in the notification area on the taskbar.
Having the manager be accessible in the Control Panel would also be helpful.

> SRS Premium Sound Enhancer program added to the manager. Auto background startup as well.

> In Audio Devices, I'd like to have both the "Speaker" device and "Headphone" device show up separately. (Currently my headphones are considered connected since I do get sound through them, but they don't show up in Audio Devices. This is why I believe I need access to the "Advanced Settings" button in Audio Manager - because I think I'm suppose to check/uncheck - "Make internal and external output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously" or something like that.

*The general idea:
Realtek-Sound DeskEditView.jpg

(I have no experience working with BIOS, Command Prompt, or other technical language interface things. I'm a copy/paste guy - if that makes sense. So please, if you're going to use jargon actually spell it out for me.)

Extra Questions if everything works out;
How can I stop Windows from tampering with the drivers after I reboot my laptop?

How can I protect the Realtek HD Audio Manager's preferences?
(I save multiple custom EQ profiles in Audio Manager and want to save them from being culled by any future updates - is there a file located somewhere?)

Thanks in advance - I appreciate any help on this matter.:)

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
So you need the older design of driver and SRS premium sound.
Option 1:
Get the latest HDA (older design) driver here.
Use APO driver for installing SRS Premium sound over it.

Option 2:
Use DJ Urko's modded driver (requires test signing mode)

Note: Indepandent output depends on the hardware and driver support. Try the official realtek driver, link above. Check if you can enable it. If it doesn't enable, try Microsoft native HD driver. Apply APO driver over the native driver if indepandent output is automatically enabled.
Note 2: The new design is called Realtek UAD Driver, good to know if you browse the forum and notice it.

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
So you need the older design of driver and SRS premium sound.
Option 1:
Get the latest HDA (older design) driver here.
Use APO driver for installing SRS Premium sound over it.

Option 2:
Use DJ Urko's modded driver (requires test signing mode)

Note: Indepandent output depends on the hardware and driver support. Try the official realtek driver, link above. Check if you can enable it. If it doesn't enable, try Microsoft native HD driver. Apply APO driver over the native driver if indepandent output is automatically enabled.
Note 2: The new design is called Realtek UAD Driver, good to know if you browse the forum and notice it.

Hey, many thanks CityCultivator for your input.

I appreciate the options you've provided. It would seem that Option 2 might be suitable, however I would like to ask if the package comes with the SRS Premium Sound add-on? Previous versions looks like it has it in there, but the 'Enhancers' folder currently doesn't show SRS Premium - only Dolby/DTS/Nahimic. Am I missing something - probably reading it wrong.

While I think DJ Urko's modded driver is a good option to try - it obviously requires a lot of technical know-how to install properly. Something about driver signatures and test mode??? None of these things I'm familiar with, and I don't feel comfortable messing around with system settings just on my own without expert guidance.

If someone could provide a clear step-by-step installation process (from start to finish) regarding DJ Urko's latest driver mod, I'd be grateful. Sorry for my cluelessness.:)

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Hey, many thanks CityCultivator for your input.

I appreciate the options you've provided. It would seem that Option 2 might be suitable, however I would like to ask if the package comes with the SRS Premium Sound add-on? Previous versions looks like it has it in there, but the 'Enhancers' folder currently doesn't show SRS Premium - only Dolby/DTS/Nahimic. Am I missing something - probably reading it wrong.

While I think DJ Urko's modded driver is a good option to try - it obviously requires a lot of technical know-how to install properly. Something about driver signatures and test mode??? None of these things I'm familiar with, and I don't feel comfortable messing around with system settings just on my own without expert guidance.

If someone could provide a clear step-by-step installation process (from start to finish) regarding DJ Urko's latest driver mod, I'd be grateful. Sorry for my cluelessness.:)
DJ Urko used to provide SRS.
@Dj Urko Is SRS still provided in the latest driver?

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Hello there.
So what's the verdict? Will there be a tutorial... anyone? Thread has over 300 views, surely someone has something to offer.
Tips, guides, opinions. Feel free to share. The waiting game is fun and all (not really), but this dude wants to listen to some absurdly awesome soundz!!! :)

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
As DJ Urko has not replied, I guess only option is 1.
Go download the tenforums drivers first.
Then download APO Driver (https://waa.ai/apodriver).
Install the latest downloaded Realtek driver.
(Extract all of the cab file, go to device manager, right click the realtek device, select update driver, browse for driver, browse to extracted cab location, proceed to next page)
Install APO driver
(Run the exe installer and select SRS Premium sound(scroll down) as an option when installing).
Open FX Configurator (Start menu-APO Driver-FX Configurator)
Select the active endpoint (Top bar with text;Check that active device is the Realtek one)
Click Product Config Tool (Right window)
Select SRS Premium Sound.
Apply. Done.
Use SRS Premium Sound GUI to configure SRS. If you need to install it, do say so.

Last edited:

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
As DJ Urko has not replied, I guess only option is 1.
Go download the tenforums drivers first.
Then download APO Driver (https://waa.ai/apodriver).
Install the latest downloaded Realtek driver.
(Extract all of the cab file, go to device manager, right click the realtek device, select update driver, browse for driver, browse to extracted cab location, proceed to next page)
Install APO driver
(Run the exe installer and select SRS Premium sound(scroll down) as an option when installing).
Open FX Configurator (Start menu-APO Driver-FX Configurator)
Select the active endpoint (Top bar with text;Check that active device is the Realtek one)
Click Product Config Tool (Right window)
Select SRS Premium Sound.
Apply. Done.
Use SRS Premium Sound GUI to configure SRS. If you need to install it, do say so.

Thanks CityCultivator, I've just finished installing (Option 1).
Here's the situation. All steps were followed, however there's just a few niggling things to fix.

1) No SRS option - can't enable.
2) Headphones aren't playing sound.
3) Headphones not recognised in Audio Devices.
Realtek-Sound ImageEdit5.jpg

Realtek-Sound ImageEdit6.jpg

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Option 1 does not have Realtek HD Control Panel SRS interface.
You need to use the SRS Premium Sound Control Panel to configure SRS.
Open SRS.reg first then install SRSUIAPO.
Audiobwill be the same as with previously used SRS.

About Headphone jack: Find in the panel an option for separating output. You will get two separate audio outs, one for internal speaker and other for Headphone.

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Option 1 does not have Realtek HD Control Panel SRS interface.
You need to use the SRS Premium Sound Control Panel to configure SRS.
Open SRS.reg first then install SRSUIAPO.
Audiobwill be the same as with previously used SRS.

About Headphone jack: Find in the panel an option for separating output. You will get two separate audio outs, one for internal speaker and other for Headphone.

:) We have SRS working. Thank you.

Unfortunately regarding the headphones. Assuming you mean the HD Audio Managers Settings (Top Right) - the only options available there are; "Display Icon in Notification Area" & "Enable Auto Pop-up Dialog when Device has been plugged in".
The button next to Analog (Bottom Left) only asks what was plugged into the jack - Mic or Headphones. And I've already selected headphones. Still no change. Headphones themselves (used on another device) works, so it ain't the headphones.
Next steps...

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
:) We have SRS working. Thank you.

Unfortunately regarding the headphones. Assuming you mean the HD Audio Managers Settings (Top Right) - the only options available there are; "Display Icon in Notification Area" & "Enable Auto Pop-up Dialog when Device has been plugged in".
The button next to Analog (Bottom Left) only asks what was plugged into the jack - Mic or Headphones. And I've already selected headphones. Still no change. Headphones themselves (used on another device) works, so it ain't the headphones.
Next steps...
In this method, SRS will not autoselect to Speaker mode or Headphone mode. But the options at the right of the SRS control panel is clickable; select the proper output whenever you need to change it (Headphone, Internal speaker, External speaker).

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
In this method, SRS will not autoselect to Speaker mode or Headphone mode. But the options at the right of the SRS control panel is clickable; select the proper output whenever you need to change it (Headphone, Internal speaker, External speaker).

Hi,
I understand what you mean. Unfortunately even after selecting headphones in SRS panel there's still no sound coming through my headset. Yet when you look at this image, it clearly shows that sound is playing on the system. ???

Realtek-Sound ImageEdit7.jpg

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
I misunderstood your problem. SRS is here to change the processing mode, not to change the playback endpoint device.
SRS is working properly.
If your headphone does not play even when plugged in, you will need to fiddle in the Realtek control panel to restore headphone playback.
On your laptop, there is a different theme of the Realtek control panel. Take a screenshot of the Realtek control panel, and I may find a proper setting.

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
I misunderstood your problem. SRS is here to change the processing mode, not to change the playback endpoint device.
SRS is working properly.
If your headphone does not play even when plugged in, you will need to fiddle in the Realtek control panel to restore headphone playback.
On your laptop, there is a different theme of the Realtek control panel. Take a screenshot of the Realtek control panel, and I may find a proper setting.

A different theme of Realtek Control Panel?
Here's a screenshot of the situation. If you're talking about "RAVCpl64.exe" UI (as shown above in my original post), the executable doesn't load. I figured that was part of the mod. Is the red themed "RtkNGUI64.exe" control panel not the correct interface?

Realtek-Sound ImageEdit8.jpg

* I sincerely hope you don't mean that horrid Realtek Store App "Console" thing. I got rid of that.

* Additionally I notice that Red Theme Realtek doesn't come with the Environmental/EQ Presets,
ie. Living Room, City, Carpeted Hallway. Dance, Jazz, Rock.
Is that how it's supposed to be?

SRS has many sound effects configurations for each laptop speaker system. Because each speaker system has different sound quality, it needs to be accompanied by a different EQ.

CityCultivator only helps you get back SRS software. But he can't help you restore the SRS sound effect correctly. It has something worse

If you want the laptop audio system to come lively sound, use Bongiovi

The driver mods were created to be optimized for external speakers only. It's not for laptop speakers. If you want to use it on a laptop you need to have a separate audio configuration for each speaker. This will never be found in driver mods

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
SRS has many sound effects configurations for each laptop speaker system. Because each speaker system has different sound quality, it needs to be accompanied by a different EQ.

CityCultivator only helps you get back SRS software. But he can't help you restore the SRS sound effect correctly. It has something worse

If you want the laptop audio system to come lively sound, use Bongiovi

The driver mods were created to be optimized for external speakers only. It's not for laptop speakers. If you want to use it on a laptop you need to have a separate audio configuration for each speaker. This will never be found in driver mods

Hi Consoled, thankyou for your insight.
I expect you're right about optimization. I understand there would be better enhancers than SRS. Alas, it's what I've been used to for some time now. Personal preference.
I'm not quite sure what you mean about your distinction between internal laptop speakers & external speakers.
My primary concern is to have decent audio playback (that I can customize) through my headphones. Non-headphone playback quality is of low concern as I always have my headphones plugged in.

The issue here is why my headphones won't play sound. My original post shows that this setup (Realtek Driver/HD Manager + SRS) has worked previously with an older laptop. If the bottom line is - that CityCultivator's Mod won't work with headphones at all, or it can't work on a laptop, then what was the point?
Clarification is needed.

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
I made a big mistake. Your previous driver is improperly installed. I was not much acquainted with that driver, so I did not notice the mistake.
Uninstallation · alanfox2000/realtek-universal-audio-driver Wiki · GitHub :Follow step A&C. Also uninstall the current stock Realtek driver. reason: starting installation of Realtek driver afresh.
After that, install the downloaded Realtek tenforums driver.
Follow previous steps to install SRS over the freshly installed driver.

Last edited:

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
I made a big mistake. Your previous driver is improperly installed. I was not much acquainted with that driver, so I did not notice the mistake.
Uninstallation · alanfox2000/realtek-universal-audio-driver Wiki · GitHub :Follow step A&C. Also uninstall the current stock Realtek driver. reason: starting installation of Realtek driver afresh.
After that, install the downloaded Realtek tenforums driver.
Follow previous steps to install SRS over the freshly installed driver.

What do you mean 'my previous driver is improperly installed'.
Before installing (Option 1), the driver version I had was the standard HD Windows Audio _10.0.17134.1. I didn't like the Realtek version my laptop came with so I switched the driver over to the Windows one by searching through the Device Manager "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". I even remember ticking that little box 'delete driver software'. Was this wrong?

If we have to start afresh that's fine, but I don't see what difference that's going to make.
I'll follow the Alanfox2000 method if you say so.

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Wrong. You had a Realtek UWP driver. It takes some work in uninstalling. Everything had to be removed first, or conflicts can surely arise. This is most probably why your headphone is not playing anything.
Remove everything by following Alanfox2000's method.
Note: This applies to all new modern drivers, such as Intel DCH drivers, which explicitely mentions not to uninstall using device manager.

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
... Ok, so currently I've followed AlanFox's uninstall method.
I've not rebooted - because it would seem that Windows wants to re-initialize 'Realtek Audio Universal Service' upon startup. This then automatically reinstalls the original 6.0.1.8544 Realtek driver from before.

Realtek Audio Universal Service has been disabled in Services.
Realtek Audio Universal Service (Task) has been ended in Task Manager.
Realtek Audio Universal Service (Driver - Software Components) has been uninstalled in Device Manager.

(I have temporarily removed these files from the System32 Folder);
RtkAudUService64.exe, RtkApi64U.dll, RtkCfg64.dll, RltkAPOU64.dll, RtCOM64.dll, RtDataProc64.dll, RTHDASIO64.dll

Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers (Hidden Driver) 10.0.17763.1 - Status: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer."

Before I go ahead and begin CityCultivator's install package, will I need to check anything else?
It would be helpful to know what each relevant folder should look like (so I can cross-reference) before I proceed.

Again, thanks for your help and patience.

> Realtek High Definition Audio (Driver/Codec) compatible with my system.
https://github.com/alanfox2000/real...F10_PG470_Win10_RS2_RS3_RS4_RS5_Win7_WHQL.rar
Disable network adapter to prevent auto install driver after fully uninstall.

> A version of Realtek HD Audio Manager that shows both the "i" info symbol, and the "advanced settings" symbol.
The manager needs to startup automatically when I turn on my computer (not the app - the service in the background) Red Speakers should show up in the notification area on the taskbar.
Having the manager be accessible in the Control Panel would also be helpful.

> In Audio Devices, I'd like to have both the "Speaker" device and "Headphone" device show up separately. (Currently my headphones are considered connected since I do get sound through them, but they don't show up in Audio Devices. This is why I believe I need access to the "Advanced Settings" button in Audio Manager - because I think I'm suppose to check/uncheck - "Make internal and external output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously" or something like that.
Your laptop don't support these options. You need to download test utility.

1. Get the traditional realtek UI. Remember press save button after you tick those check Box!
Image 1.png
2. Make internal and external output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously
Remember press save button after you tick those check Box!

Image 2.png
3. Auto start Realtek Audio Control Panel
https://nofile.io/f/j1oohZ92wyB/Auto+Start+RTK+Control+Panel.reg

Last edited:

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
So lets take several steps back. Since #Post 19, I've made some attempt to just figure out the basics.

My current system:
Realtek-Sound ImageEdit20.jpg

The driver 'High Definition Audio Device' is the default Microsoft driver - yes?
Strangely, by itself, I now have access to two separate (I don't know what to call them) "Endpoints" maybe???
In any case the Speakers & Headphones are how they're suppose to be.
*I did not use AlanFox's Test Utility.

Let's fix problem Number 1; the image above shows the headphones are recognised, unfortunately there is still no sound playing through the headphones.

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
You did by now uninstalled all crap associated with uwp driver?
If so, and there is still audio issues, I would recommend a system restore before uninstall uwp and retry all procedures.
If system restore doesn't work, a system reset can help. You will have to reinstall programs; you can keep your files.
Finally, if a system reset doesn't work, there is a hardware issue. Check RMAs.

AA_TribbleWyn

System Name ASUS SCAR II
Motherboard GL504GS
Memory 32 GB DDR4
You did by now uninstalled all crap associated with uwp driver?
If so, and there is still audio issues, I would recommend a system restore before uninstall uwp and retry all procedures.
If system restore doesn't work, a system reset can help. You will have to reinstall programs; you can keep your files.
Finally, if a system reset doesn't work, there is a hardware issue. Check RMAs.

The hardware worked (with headphones) when I first booted up the new laptop. It's not like it's a faulty jack.
So there's no way to isolate what the problem is? If I know what I should be looking for...
Registry?
Missing dll?
Software settings conflict?

System restore is my absolute last resort.

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
I don't know much more what can cause conflicts.
System restore will not remove all programs. Do it, is there is any restore points stored.
If you are using Win10 and has not explicitely enabled system restore in system advanced properties, a system reset might be necessary.
Sorry, these things happen at times.

High Definition Audio Device mean you are using HDA driver by Microsoft.
No audio play through headphones because HDA driver by Microsoft will not work for all Realtek Audio chipsets.
Audio MUST/Should be played through headphones (while internal speaker mute) when you have installed the official Realtek Audio Driver that downloaded from ASUS.

Test Utility is THE ONLY WAY you can separate speakers and headphones endpoints.
Realtek-Sound ImageEdit6.jpg

Last edited: