• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with Radeon 9200 Se graphic card

wrx264

I have a pentium 4 2.8 and it has 512 ram. My graphic card is a radeon 9200 se and it has been giving me problems. When i Play a high graphics game, my computer freezes and gives me an ati error. i send the report but get no response. The error i get is that the graphic card has been reset to default. Why does my graphic card freeze. I also think something might overheat because in cool conditions when the room is cool the games work a lot longer. The games freeze after a while like 5-10 minutes. Halo works for about 60 seconds even in the menu. Please help.

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
Could be heat problems...have you overclocked at all? Maybe try reinstalling the drivers, it should fix any software related problems.

-Dan

wrx264

djbbenn said:
Could be heat problems...have you overclocked at all? Maybe try reinstalling the drivers, it should fix any software related problems.

-Dan

I do not have anything overclocked and i have reinstalled all my drivers many times. By the way how much coolin does a p4 2.8 need. I have 1 fan, 1 system blower, one fan in the power supply, and a heatsink and fan on the cpu. The max i have seen my temps were at 54 degrees celcius.

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
What kind of heat can you feel coming off the card I mean, like is it really hot?

-Dan

watzup_ken

I doubt that a 9200SE will overheat since some 9200SEs are passively cooled. Your CPU temp looks pretty alright as well. Maybe you should use Driver Cleaner to make sure that all the previous driver installations are removed, and install a fresh copy of the latest driver. Sometimes, the remnents of the previous drivers can give you hell of a prob with your graphic card. :)

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
That could be a reason why it would over heat. Where its passive cooling. It was just a possiblity I was covering. But the drivers is what I am mainly thinking of.

-Dan

wrx264

I have just completely formatted my hard drive and installed a new windows and new drivers, but the computer still freezes up. I really think it is a heating issue because there is warm to somewhat hot air coming out of all the openings in my case. Also the whole case turns warm.

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
Hows the air flow in your case...good air flow will do a lot for cooling. See if you can get a fan to move the air around your video card better. It should help.

-Dan

wrx264

djbbenn said:
Hows the air flow in your case...good air flow will do a lot for cooling. See if you can get a fan to move the air around your video card better. It should help.

-Dan

the air flow is not too well even though i added a system blower. Can you tell me what to put in to get better cooling other than water cooling.

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
What I have in my case is 2 intake fans and 2 exaust fans. So all the hot air gets pulled out and cool air is pulled in. Works great for me.

-Dan

ndgoh

Hmmm..... could it be a graphic card driver problem? Try installing the latest game patch (if any) and the latest VGA driver too...... :p

wrx264

I have the latest drivers but i will try to get better cooling like you guys said. Thanks a lot everyone.

Sn4k3

Try to turn off the "VPU Recover" in your driver settings

wrx264

Sn4k3 said:
Try to turn off the "VPU Recover" in your driver settings

but if i turn off the vpu recover wouldn't the chip get messed up.

Turning off VPU recover won't mess up the chip. I always run without it on my 9800. This sounds like a heat issue, did you ever feel the heat sink on the card while it was running a game?
Try turning off Fast-writes and sideband addressing in the bios, this can help with stability problems.
54C is quite high for a cpu (mines a 2.8Ghz prescott, oc'd to 3.5 most of the time and stayed under 50C with a standard cooler. I mounted a better fan on the cooler and the temps stay under 40C under 100% load), are you sure the fans in the case are blowing the right way?
the ones in front should blow into the case at the hard drives, and the rear fan should be blowing out hot air, if you have a side panel fan, it should blow cool air at the cpu.

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
You could also try lowering your AGP speeds. This can help, at the loss of performance of course. Also the VPU recover being off doesn't damage your card - it just means that if your GPU fails, your PC will probably crash rather than the graphics card being restarted. Sounds like you could really use a new graphics card - 9200SEs really aren't too great..you could even try buying something like a 9550, overlock that to 9600 speeds and your gaming performance will increase dramatically. Worth considering, especially as the rest of your PC isn't too bad.

wrx264

Hellraiser1981 said:
Turning off VPU recover won't mess up the chip. I always run without it on my 9800. This sounds like a heat issue, did you ever feel the heat sink on the card while it was running a game?
Try turning off Fast-writes and sideband addressing in the bios, this can help with stability problems.
54C is quite high for a cpu (mines a 2.8Ghz prescott, oc'd to 3.5 most of the time and stayed under 50C with a standard cooler. I mounted a better fan on the cooler and the temps stay under 40C under 100% load), are you sure the fans in the case are blowing the right way?
the ones in front should blow into the case at the hard drives, and the rear fan should be blowing out hot air, if you have a side panel fan, it should blow cool air at the cpu.

I turned my fans around and the temp at load is down to 44. but with vpu recover off the card stops responding after a longer time like 1/2 of an hour to 1 hour.

mikechinym

i have seen before that the ati 9200se freeze up during the game but my country is a hot country.i try whatever would like to do.finally, the customer asked us to change another card. this freeze up method had just been happend on that customer pc,another customer work fine. then like what we always said "the money is always right". then i change another one for him. i think it is the heat problem.

maksymilian

hey i had the same problem with my radeon 9200 SE funnily enough with a similar set up and same games. I also tried everything that was suggested in the precious posts . Eventually out of desperation i uninstalled windows xp service pack 2 and somehow that fixed my problem. I've tried reinstalling the service pack but the problem just returns and i have to uninstall again. I figure its a compatability issue with xp but i could be wrong. Now i'm having a problem gettin the 9200 to run battlefield 2.

I kno this is probably a dead issue but i'd be curious if my solution works for other people.

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Power Supply Corsiar 750 watt
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
I had the same problem in far cry with my 9200. I had to play with the video settings to get it to work stable. What it boils down to is the card is crappy and when it can't handle what you are doing any more it will up and quit on you. That's likely a good thing that keeps it from up and dieing on you. As BF 2 goes you're out of luck unless EA comes out with a major patch to fix it. You’re better off getting a new card. Being an SE it's the bottom of the bottom level. Sorry for the bad news but if you don't mind playing the lowest settings and the card stays stable then erything may work out.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
Latest drivers aren't going to help you with a 9200SE. Better off sticking to something around the 4.x to 6.x series of drivers. These cards were released with 3.8's Going too much further would be beyond the point that it's effective. If anything, I'd say find some OLDER drivers, and try again.

Or get a newer card.