• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Here is one for you to figure out and go hmmmm, tape deck to computer or Denon does...

OK here is some back story. I have a Proton AD-300 which when I had my old B370 board with the Realtek 1220 chip had it plugged into the line in jack of the computer and was able to listen to my deck that way through my computer and was happy. Fast forward to now I have a Gigabyte X470 mobo and hooked it up the same way and got nothing. I tried all kinds of different drivers, and even the modded ones in audio video section and nothing made sound, so I brushed it off as I got a fubar board with a dead line in, OH and mic in for I tried that too, got no sound, tape deck meter is bouncing around as it plays and I get sound out the headphones (of the tape deck), but nothing to my computer.

Now fast forward to about a week ago. My son and I moved my stuff around so I can get the decks closer to my receiver and hook it up that way, and here it goes:

Tape deck to cd input, or sat, or tv in the back, going into the Denon and made sure all inputs for those jacks are set to analog, not digital.
I STILL GET NO SOUND! Through the receiver.

I hooked a cable to my audio outs on the pre amps to the pc, and still get no sound.

I have my Razer analog, legit 7.1 headset hooked up and decided to do a mic test to see if my board really is fubar, and it works, so jacks are not the problem.

But here is where it really gets wierd, I had my headset on the other day, tried another driver mod and decided to try it again. No sound through receiver, BUT now its playing through my headset, thats hooked to the analog out of the back of the computer?!?!?

Remember this is going from deck, to receiver, front pre amp out, to pc, and get no sound through pc speakers from receiver, or from audio out to receiver, but I get audio through my headset, ONLY, no sound through receiver when selected cd jack tape deck is plugged into, or when selected PC input, get no sound from jack coming from receiver, to pc, coming out of it, but do from headset?

I opened audacity to see if I was able to get the program to copy a song from my tapes from the 80s and 90s, and though I pick mic, or line in, it tells me it hears nothing, as my headset is blasting!

If I turn my receiver to ANY input, from tv to computer and while playing sounds, my headset is still playing my deck, while it plays something else from the tv or computer.

WTF is making it do this, again, no sound from receiver, or computer line out jacks playing the tape deck, its playing anything else through my headset along with whats playing on the deck, or HDMI for that matter, but now that its hoked up to my pc, doesnt matter the input, or if I play other music from the different sources, I still get the tape deck music ONLY out my headset, while audacity still tells me it hears not a thing. I know Im "old" and on some good pills the doc gave me but I took my headset off just to be sure and cranked it, and said to my wife, you hear this, and she confirmed Im not going more crazy, there is the tape deck playing in the background, and YES I did stop it and hit play several times and it was for sure the tape deck playing.

So what gives? I been doing audio, and home theater for well over 35 years and this is baffling me to no end and makes no sense at all. Anyone have any ideas for Ive done all I can think of Ive come into and wired over them years and this makes no dang sense to me at all :p Before I got my Proton and Sony decks, I was using a old portable Sony deck hooked to the line in with a 3.5mm cable, and was able to listen to my tapes that way, before switching boards, I was able to listen to the decks with a rca to 3.5mm jack, and other then this board being the 1220-VB, and the other just being a 1220, doesnt seem that there should be that much of a difference between chips, and boards, both made by gigabyte, to cause this weirdness.

All I can think of is maybe the chip is fubar, though tested with my analog headset and its working, or maybe they have introduced some kind of copy protection that picks up when you have a deck hooked to the pc killing off the audio but didnt think of it all and it doesnt work 100% sending my audio still through a headset but tells the computer there isnt jack shit hooked up using this other model of chip set? I mean its so simple to hook up, out to in, but still why no sound through receiver going from deck right to it, but stil out to it, then out receiver to pc, no sound, but I get through headset, so jack in back of deck is pumping out sound or I wouldnt be getting anything through headset on pc, Im so :p

Last edited:

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
I'm Baffled as well. First sounds like maybe the PC jack line in plug might not be working right but I again am also baffled. Try getting a new line in plug and see.
Some times they break and it's not noticeable.

Last edited:
I tried it with line in and mic in with the same results and even changed cables as well so like you im :p

And again the receiver its plugged into gets no sound from it, but I get it from the headphones for something is getting into the receiver though its no producing sound out the speakers at all to get from there to my pc to get sound from the headphones :O

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Maybe there is no digital/analogue converter on board, but the other had one?

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Maybe there is no digital/analogue converter on board, but the other had one?
Maybe the one on the denon is done.
I think that your system is the issue. Can you try another AVR?

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm going to venture a quick guess, maybe way off base, but maybe not. Gaming headsets often have loopback built into them. Perhaps you need to route the input to your preferred output in order to monitor that input. There are some programs that allow you to do this, Virtual Audio Cable, etc.

Maybe the one on the denon is done.
I think that your system is the issue. Can you try another AVR?

HUH, ok, yeah, I remembered after you mentioned this that I did hook the deck to my other newer avr before swapping back to this on because it has 7.1 in and out analogs, but my other did not, and missed all the features this one had vs my other so it went into the bedroom and this one back out, and ur right, I get no sound, out of the receiver, but also still doesnt make sense that it pumps out a signal to my receiver that my headphones are picking up, but computer says there isnt a signal, though Im hearing it :p

As for making sure I have the audio on right in windows. It doesnt matter what signal I put it in, what output I set it to be it hdmi, my headset, or spdif, I get the tape deck music ONLY through my headphones, and no sound, or the computer detecting any sound through mic or line in, though no matter the setting Im getting sound in my headphones.

and as far as digital to analog on my receiver this is analog to analog, no digital for the sound at all here, 100% analog. But still doesnt explain why when I select cd that the jack is used for the deck, that I get no sound from my receiver either while Im getting sound from my headphones connected to my pc. Remember it goes, tape to cd in, and Im using the 7.1 output to preamp fronts to computer. So why is the receiver actually hearing something from the deck, to pump that out, and NOT produce sound there, and my computer says it hears NOTHING, but yet my computer is playing my deck ONLY through me headphones.

This is really straight forward for I been doing it for years. Headphones out, or line out of deck, be it my portable or this deck, to my blue line in of computer, using audacity to convert my tapes to digital, bam, sound.

And only difference here is tape out to my newer receiver sat in was playing music, my other mobo the gigabyte x370 with the same chipset, I ran the tape deck out to blue line in, and got sound, but with this board, with the same chip, I get no sound, just like I get no sound with the receiver as if nothing is being pumped out, but why oh why do I just hear music though my headphones. And I checked and doubled checked to make sure I have it set as mic or line in under record, and with the same settings my mic on my headphone works and can be heard, so my thoughts on the jacks being bad is out the window if my analog mic can be heard, found, and used in both jacks. And Im going crazy for if my headphones are playing the sound in them, EVEN when I dont select them as my main sound out. I can make HDMI or Digital out, and yet my tape deck continues to play through my headphones no matter what.

This makes no sense and defies all logic completely.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
The next step is to find a sound card and try that.
It would now seem that the MB sound card has failed.
Must have fried it during the firmware update.

System Name Mirkwood
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) AM4 AMD X470
Cooling Noctua D15S with additional Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX fan
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series CL16 3200Mhz 16GB (4 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 GV-RX570GAMING-4GD 4GB
Storage Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB SATA III; WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive
Display(s) Philips 246E9QDSB 24" Frameless Monitor, Full HD IPS, 129% sRGB, 75Hz, FreeSync
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T
Audio Device(s) Klipsch R-41PM powered monitors and SVS SB-2000 sub
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX
Keyboard Old Logitech keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
I don't know that I would write off your hardware. Ever since I have used different outputs on my x470 board I have a lot of possible output sources that Windows shows me and recently I was having sound output issues because a setting somewhere was not right. I feel your frustration trying to hunt down what is different that is causing the issue. One thing I found was sampling rate especially with SPDIF, if I set sampling rate higher than 48000 Hz (96000 Hz) it would cease to play sound, yet when I selected 48000 Hz again it would play sound again.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I don't know that I would write off your hardware. Ever since I have used different outputs on my x470 board I have a lot of possible output sources that Windows shows me and recently I was having sound output issues because a setting somewhere was not right. I feel your frustration trying to hunt down what is different that is causing the issue. One thing I found was sampling rate especially with SPDIF, if I set sampling rate higher than 48000 Hz (96000 Hz) it would cease to play sound, yet when I selected 48000 Hz again it would play sound again.
yeah but you have to physically change that setting for the sound to stop.
OP's just stopped after a driver / firmware update.
I think the sound card is dead.

System Name Mirkwood
Storage Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB SATA III; WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive
Display(s) Philips 246E9QDSB 24" Frameless Monitor, Full HD IPS, 129% sRGB, 75Hz, FreeSync
yeah but you have to physically change that setting for the sound to stop.
OP's just stopped after a driver / firmware update.
I think the sound card is dead.

Sound devices usually don't have firmware updates, just driver updates. Perhaps he used incorrect driver. I had some difficulty at one point figuring out sound drivers for my board for some reason that I forget now. He would need to use other devices injecting sound into line in/mic port to determine if hardware has bit the dust. I believe he said that the mic worked in both ports. I know some ports can be assigned differently, such as the output port on my PC, it can be configured for headphones or speakers with different amp rates and Ohm differences between headphones and speakers.

Ntwlf

I just signed up to make a reply/suggestion after reading your post.

I opened audacity to see if I was able to get the program to copy a song from my tapes from the 80s and 90s, and though I pick mic, or line in, it tells me it hears nothing, as my headset is blasting!

Is it possible that the tape deck audio out that is being used is to high/loud for the sound card or AVR to utilize, and instead it's cutting it out completely except for passing it out to headphones?
Another possibility...there may be an AC power bias happening between the tape deck and what it's connected to. If the tape deck AC power plug is not polarized, just unplug the cord and turn it 180 degrees and plug back into outlet. In older audio equipment that had non polarized AC plugs it usually just caused an irritable AC hum thru speakers and flipping the plugs would usually cure it, so just a thought.
Could try and insert an audio line isolator to the tape player audio out. Here's an example of what I'm describing... Ground Loop Isolator Amp Noise Filter

Something else to try to narrow down the issue... use the audio out from a DVD Player to your PC and see if that works playing a movie or music CD to further test your PC sound card. It's audio output should easily be compatible.
Or even your Smart Phone playing music as you can vary the volume output level.

OK its fixed now, and I THANKS ALL for trying to figure this out! It came down to my kid not listening to me when we moved the decks to be closer to my receiver. Im disabled and we put the decks on my desk and my 40" sammy ontop of them. I need help in doing my wires and my kid had a wtf moment, or didnt want to listen. Today I had him remove all the cables because I used a 1/4 jack to 3.5mm, to 3.5mm to rca jack and plugged in the proton into the front of my receiver and I GOT SOUND! I thought ok, deck board is dead somehow, and had him take that cable to put into the CD in, to test and make sure my receiver isnt dead, and got sound. I asked him to get me another cable, in hopes that maybe my 10+ year old cable is shot/shorted since I now know the receiver isnt the problem. He hooked the cable back up to the deck, and I got sound again coming out the headphones! WTF WTF WTF WTF

I asked him to see where the cable thats to come out the receiver to the pc is going, and he put it into pre out fr/fl. I asked where is the cable going that was in the cd before, and he had it coming from the sony. I asked ok, where is the out coming from the proton before going, and he had it in pre out fr/fl. I WAS LIKE WTF MAN, why did you not listen to me. Take that cable coming from the sony, put it in the "in" of the proton, now take that cable coming from the "out" to the cd in. Now take that cable to the pc to the pre out fr/fl, and wouldnt you know it, I got sound correctly :p

Kids I swear, this was driving me nuts and the way he had it somehow made the card pump out sound to the headphones only. I dont understand how it did all this the way it was hooked, but damn, I didnt think for a second, for I told him to do all this in the first place, but nooooooo, lets not listen to pops, Ill just plug it in where ever and call it a day so I can go back on my xbox, how dare my disabled old man ask me for help he cant do now, and try to learn me something I might need to know how to do so I can do this on my own as I get older, and sad part is, god knows I love him, is 19, and should be listening more, and willing to help the old man out when he needs it, this drove me insane for almost a week :p

Thanks to all again, and Im off to kill a kid :O

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
OK its fixed now, and I THANKS ALL for trying to figure this out! It came down to my kid not listening to me when we moved the decks to be closer to my receiver. Im disabled and we put the decks on my desk and my 40" sammy ontop of them. I need help in doing my wires and my kid had a wtf moment, or didnt want to listen. Today I had him remove all the cables because I used a 1/4 jack to 3.5mm, to 3.5mm to rca jack and plugged in the proton into the front of my receiver and I GOT SOUND! I thought ok, deck board is dead somehow, and had him take that cable to put into the CD in, to test and make sure my receiver isnt dead, and got sound. I asked him to get me another cable, in hopes that maybe my 10+ year old cable is shot/shorted since I now know the receiver isnt the problem. He hooked the cable back up to the deck, and I got sound again coming out the headphones! WTF WTF WTF WTF

I asked him to see where the cable thats to come out the receiver to the pc is going, and he put it into pre out fr/fl. I asked where is the cable going that was in the cd before, and he had it coming from the sony. I asked ok, where is the out coming from the proton before going, and he had it in pre out fr/fl. I WAS LIKE WTF MAN, why did you not listen to me. Take that cable coming from the sony, put it in the "in" of the proton, now take that cable coming from the "out" to the cd in. Now take that cable to the pc to the pre out fr/fl, and wouldnt you know it, I got sound correctly :p

Kids I swear, this was driving me nuts and the way he had it somehow made the card pump out sound to the headphones only. I dont understand how it did all this the way it was hooked, but damn, I didnt think for a second, for I told him to do all this in the first place, but nooooooo, lets not listen to pops, Ill just plug it in where ever and call it a day so I can go back on my xbox, how dare my disabled old man ask me for help he cant do now, and try to learn me something I might need to know how to do so I can do this on my own as I get older, and sad part is, god knows I love him, is 19, and should be listening more, and willing to help the old man out when he needs it, this drove me insane for almost a week :p

LOL I did this to my subwoofer, Pluged it into the center out like a moron didn't know it for 2 weeks. I thought I blew the Sub. :kookoo:

System Name Mirkwood

like I said earlier, it is probably something dumb!