• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hey guys Realtemp(and coretemp) wont load for 2-3 minutes after boot

bigjared

So basically when windows 7 64 loads and I double click on realtemp or coretemp nothing happens for 2-3 minutes then suddenly they pop up and work perfectly. After that if I close them and reopen they will work instantly. Every other program I have tried is instantly available and works fine as soon as windows boots so its not a system wide slow problem.

I did not have this problem yesterday with the same OS and system settings(that I know of).

Thanks for the help!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
The programs haven't changed since yesterday so something in your computer has. Check in your task manager for any programs using a lot of resources.

bigjared

I understand the programs haven't changed I am just looking for some help on figuring out this problem.

Resources are fine - any other program besides Realtemp or Coretemp loads instantly and runs fine the second Windows 7 boots.

Something is interfering with these programs the first 2-3 minutes after windows boots. After that they work perfectly and load instantly but before that they simply do not run.

Edit: The only thing that has changed with my computer is that I experienced a failed overclock attempting to go above my stable settings. Everything is back to 100% stable settings where Coretemp and Realtemp never had any problems yet now they do.

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
why not just try re-installing them? dont no if a fragmented hard drive could cause such a small program to load up slow but thats another idea

bigjared

Thank you both for the responses so far - I have no clue where to go with this problem on my own.

As for reinstalling, both Coretemp and Realtemp are just standalone zip files so I am not sure why redownloading it would help but I will try.

I am confident it is a not a hard drive or system resource issue as this is a 2 day old fresh install of Windows 7 and none of my other programs have delayed start times. The second windows loads I am able to successfully run any game or IM program or internet ect... It is just these 2 temp monitoring programs that I double click on and absolutely nothing happens - then out of nowhere 2-3 minutes later (every time) the icon appears in the system tray and works perfectly fine. After that if i close the program and reopen it there is no delay and it instantly works fine.

System Name Ultra 64
Display(s) 720x576
personally 2-3 minuets i wouldnt really moan about my self :D but then again im used to waitin half an our for my system to boot but give a re-download a try hope it works out, is it still zipped when you load the program?

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Was there a time when these programs didn't open up so slowly on your computer? This is a tough one!

bigjared

Yea its more the principle of the thing... why would these two temperature programs need 2-3 minutes after windows starts to be able to run? It just makes no sense at all and because I NEVER had this problem before on the same system and same OS I don't want to just shrug it off as an inconvenience.

bigjared

Yes erocker thats what is killing me. Yesterday on the same OS and same system they both loaded instantly when I double clicked them the second windows 7 finished loading. Now I double click them and there is absolutely nothing (no pop up, no nothing) until 2-3 minutes later (after only opening them that first time) and bingo they pop up and work fine as if I had JUST clicked them.

System Name Ultra 64
Display(s) 720x576
maybe try a different temp program that measure the same piece of hardware coz my idea being thatif every one you try is slow maybe its not the programs themselves?

bigjared

I have tried speedfan and it successfully opens the instant I run it after boot up. :(:(

System Name Ultra 64
Display(s) 720x576
I have tried speedfan and it successfully opens the instant I run it after boot up. :(:(

in that case im sorry im out of ideas. Sorry i couldnt be of more help man hope some else on here can get it sorted for ya

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Well, I was thinking it was possibly the temperature sensors on your motherboard going wacky, but your quote above takes care of that. Now I'm just stumped. :ohwell: I'll post when I know more. :toast:

System Name Ultra 64
Display(s) 720x576
Well, I was thinking it was possibly the temperature sensors on your motherboard going wacky, but your quote above takes care of that. Now I'm just stumped. :ohwell: I'll post when I know more. :toast:

beat you to it :p

bigjared

Just downloaded the latest beta of realtemp and another copy of coretemp - same damn problem with both. Refuse to do anything first 2-3 minutes after Windows 7 startup then boom they magically work perfectly.

Every other program I have tried runs perfectly the instant I can double click it including:
Speedfan
CPu-z
Biostar T-power Utility (can read temps)
All my email, IM, internet, games.

My system is a Q9550 @3.8ghz
Biostar I-45
Hd4870
2x2gb PI Black ddr2 ram.

Again, fresh install of Windows 7, and Realtemp and coretemp loaded instantly when I was able to double click them until I experienced a failed overclock going higher than my stable settings. I am now back to stable settings at which these programs all worked fine yet now they dont.

I have tried resetting everything in bios to stock/defaults and the problem is still happening.

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wow this is an odd issue.

Have you changed any system settings for UAC? I know sometimes UAC could hang in vista and would take 20-30 seconds more to appear, and since UAC prompts in win7 are mostly auto handled it could be a similar thing. Try it with UAC off and on, see if that makes any difference.

Also try them in xp compatability mode, just to see if that does anything (i know it shouldn't, and they run fine on vista/win7 but it's all i can think of to try and get different settings). You could also see if running as administrator or not makes any difference.

**edit**

oh and see if you can reset your prefetch - go to c:\windows\prefetch and delete everything in there

bigjared

UAC is disabled - will try running in xp compatibility and as administrator. BRB

Sucks I have to restart every time I try something new because after 2-3 minutes of windows being loaded they work perfectly fine and open instantly.

bigjared

Wow this is an odd issue.

Have you changed any system settings for UAC? I know sometimes UAC could hang in vista and would take 20-30 seconds more to appear, and since UAC prompts in win7 are mostly auto handled it could be a similar thing. Try it with UAC off and on, see if that makes any difference.

Also try them in xp compatability mode, just to see if that does anything (i know it shouldn't, and they run fine on vista/win7 but it's all i can think of to try and get different settings). You could also see if running as administrator or not makes any difference.

**edit**

oh and see if you can reset your prefetch - go to c:\windows\prefetch and delete everything in there

I am unfamiliar with this - literally delete everything in this folder including other folders?

Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
I am unfamiliar with this - literally delete everything in this folder including other folders?

yeah - it basically stores usage history of what programs you use and when, so the OS loads everything "predicting" what you want to use. It will all be replaced as you use your pc, and since your install is very new you won't lose any enhanced loading times due to prefetch helping things along.

bigjared

Ugh - no change.

Double clicked it the first time without changing anything.
Double clicked it the second time after setting compatibility to XP.
Double clicked it the third time after making it XP and administrator.

Nothing.

3 minutes later - all 3 instances pop up in my system tray. LOL

Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ugh - no change.

Double clicked it the first time without changing anything.
Double clicked it the second time after setting compatibility to XP.
Double clicked it the third time after making it XP and administrator.

Nothing.

3 minutes later - all 3 instances pop up in my system tray. LOL

Hmm really wiered - when you had your failed OC did it load windows and then these apps before crashing or did it just not load windows? This is the only thing i can think of as being related to the problem.

bigjared

Windows and Realtemp had loaded - It failed running Intel Burn Test - no BSOD just errors so I restarted and reset my O.C. to stable settings.

Coretemp was not loaded as I had been using Realtemp exclusively after discovering it.

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-
After reading half this thread, one thing popped into my mind. Something's unstable.. Try only using one ram stick.