• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HIFIMAN HE1000se Planar Magnetic Headphone + Hapa Audio KnØt Full Size Cable

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
We take a step back in time to see how the HE1000se, HIFIMAN's 2018 release, fares today as we step into the flagship class of planar magnetic headphones. This article also covers a bespoke, truly customizable cable from Hapa Audio, and the two look absolutely gorgeous together, too.

Show full review

System Name "IBT 10x Maximum Stable"
Processor Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6GHz -> 100xx46 - 1.296v
Motherboard MSI MPower Z97
Cooling Corsair H100i + 2x Corsair "HP Edition" SP120's
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz @ 2400MHz 10-11-12-31-1T - 1.66v
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX970 4GB @ 1314 Core/1973 Mem/1515 Boost
Storage Kingston 3K 120GB SSD + Western Digital 'Green' 2TB + Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS 23" IPS
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Rotel RA-04/Cambridge Audio Azur 540R + B&W DM302/Cerwin Vega AT12 / Sony MDR-XB700 & FiiO E5
Power Supply EVGA NEX650G + Silverstone Extensions
Mouse Always failing me....
Keyboard Endlessly broken.....
Software Windoze 7 Pro 64-bit/Windoze 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I had some of these once upon a time? Old age has seen me misplace them....
As much as I'm thankful for thorough reviews of tech products and sound equipment, I cant help but wonder which audience @ TPU these headphone reviews cater to?

When the mass populous of these forums are complaining about GPU/CPU/RAM/SSD pricing being at an all-time high, threres not really many people caring for $3.5K headphones; let alone $1.5k (!!!) cables...... maybe on a dedicated audiophile forum where people burn money as if its air in order to argue about subtle nuances proclaimed to exist?

Wheres the reviews of the $30-$100 headphones that most normal mortals (read: forum visitors) will purchase?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
As much as I'm thankful for thorough reviews of tech products and sound equipment, I cant help but wonder which audience @ TPU these headphone reviews cater to?

When the mass populous of these forums are complaining about GPU/CPU/RAM/SSD pricing being at an all-time high, threres not really many people caring for $3.5K headphones; let alone $1.5k (!!!) cables...... maybe on a dedicated audiophile forum where people burn money as if its air in order to argue about subtle nuances proclaimed to exist?

Wheres the reviews of the $30-$100 headphones that most normal mortals (read: forum visitors) will purchase?
I cover all sorts of budgets, you might have missed the $18 FiiO JD3, the $20 Moondrop Chu, the $25 Tripowin Lea, the $50 Tripowin TC-01 and Truthear Zero, and plenty others in the $50-100 range. Not many headphones here though since most tend to be re-branded OEM stuff out of China that don't get sent out for review, but I've done/am covering many $100-300 sets also. As for which audience, given the most recent of the linked ones is on the popular reviews list right now, I'd say there's a sizable audience :)

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
If I can't afford something, it doesn't mean I don't want to read about it. Being able to spend money on a high-end audio equipment doesn't make one an audiophile. You can't buy a good hearing, nor a profound taste for any thing in the world.

Processor Intel 12600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D15S; Case: 2xNoctua NF-A14, 1xNF-S12A.
Memory Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 @3600CL16 2*16GB
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Crucial MX500 500gb + WD Red 6TB
Display(s) Dell S2721qs
Case Phanteks P300A Mesh
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC204HD
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 560W
Mouse Glorious Model D-
Man, the headband on these... inexcusable, haha. And I feel the same way about lots of premium headphones. How come the 300$ Deva has a great padded leather one and the flagship product has something straight off some 50$ cans. The old 1000s I tried sounded nice though, no complaints about that.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Man, the headband on these... inexcusable, haha. And I feel the same way about lots of premium headphones. How come the 300$ Deva has a great padded leather one and the flagship product has something straight off some 50$ cans. The old 1000s I tried sounded nice though, no complaints about that.
So there are basically three types of headbands that HIFIMAN uses across its entire headphone line- the Sundara style suspension heeadband with no swivel, the Deva style padded headband with some swivel, and then you have to step up to the Arya to get the suspension headband that's on this HE1000se too with extreme swivel and articulation. Comfort wise, I'd personally take this one over the one on the Deva/Edition XS etc. But if the Deva headband is comfortable for you and you don't miss out on the extra swivel options this one does, then I can see the extra padding there being more helpful.

Processor Intel 12600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D15S; Case: 2xNoctua NF-A14, 1xNF-S12A.
Memory Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 @3600CL16 2*16GB
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Crucial MX500 500gb + WD Red 6TB
Display(s) Dell S2721qs
Case Phanteks P300A Mesh
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC204HD
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 560W
Mouse Glorious Model D-
So there are basically three types of headbands that HIFIMAN uses across its entire headphone line- the Sundara style suspension heeadband with no swivel, the Deva style padded headband with some swivel, and then you have to step up to the Arya to get the suspension headband that's on this HE1000se too with extreme swivel and articulation. Comfort wise, I'd personally take this one over the one on the Deva/Edition XS etc. But if the Deva headband is comfortable for you and you don't miss out on the extra swivel options this one does, then I can see the extra padding there being more helpful.
I just really love the padding. Personally, for me great padding is way above all the swivel perfection. And I'd put fat cushy earcups second place above lots of articulation. That's just preference, I guess, but for me these lightweight flat thingies don't even count as a headband :D It just gotta be all soft and nice to touch.

Reactions: VSG

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Me for one. But nothing exciting haven't got my ear recently.

In the over-$1000 very few entries are worth their money, IMO.

me as well, I am a big headphone guy.

@VSG I personally have always felt HiFiMan was overrated. have you ever reached out to Zach from ZMF Headphones?

Would love to see some reviews of his headphones on here. I have talked to him before, he is a really nice guy. I'm still happy to stay retired with my Sennheiser HD58X (these are Made in Ireland for those of you who don't know, pretty cool having cans made in Ireland), it's a fun hobby, just too expensive, lol

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
me as well, I am a big headphone guy.

@VSG I personally have always felt HiFiMan was overrated. have you ever reached out to Zach from ZMF Headphones?

Would love to see some reviews of his headphones on here. I have talked to him before, he is a really nice guy. I'm still happy to stay retired with my Sennheiser HD58X (these are Made in Ireland for those of you who don't know, pretty cool having cans made in Ireland), it's a fun hobby, just too expensive, lol
I've reached out thrice over the last year+ and never once got a reply so I don't think ZMF coverage is happening here tbh.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
Me, for one. I believe that PC hardware stagnated to the point at which I barely care any more. It's just slightly more performance for a lot more power used and with shouty marketing slapped over the most mundane things. I'm still interested in what's going on in this market, but reading again and again about an old, outdated TV sold as "OMG GAMING" monitor for "OMG GAMERS" or another shooter game for braindead adolescents - who, apparently, are this "OMG GAMERS" demographic -, or another CPU which is slightly faster but requires you to buy new memory, motherboard, SSDs and such, is just sad. When I see the word "leak" I just skip over just like I would any other ad. Reviews of less PC hardware-centric devices are what's increasingly often more interesting. Also, TPU reviewed headphones at various price points, just as there are people shopping at various quality levels.
$1200 for a cable.

iPhone is $1000 and people think it's expensive
I would argue that a piece of wire is much more useful than an iPhone. Also, mind you, there are people who don't think 1000$ is expensive and there are probably more of them than most people think. Apple itself sells millions of those shiny toys every year. Also, there are people who think a bar of soap for 5$ is expensive...

Last edited:
Say what you want about that cable (it's pure snake oil in my opinion), but reviews of Hi-Fi headphones are welcome. Even if you don't intend to ever drop four figures on a pair of headphones (which I don't), it's nice to know where the high-end is. How close to the high-end can you get without blowing out the budget? What are you gaining over the low-end by spending a little extra? These are useful questions to ask when considering any purchase, so it's helpful to have reviews for products on both sides of the price spectrum.

I mean, this site also reviews $2000 graphics cards even though most people would be best-served with $250 GPUs, so this isn't too different.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard B550 Aorus Elite v2
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 ARGB w/ Conductonaut
Memory 4x8 GB HyperX Fury 3600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio
Storage 970 EVO 1TB, 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Display(s) Omen 32q
Case SilentiumPC Regnum RG6V EVO TG ARGB
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s+L30, Emu Teak, AH-D5200&D2000, HD660S2, Focal Elegia, SR325x, 7Hz Zero:2, MDR-1AM2, etc
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Xtrfy M4
Keyboard Alloy Origins 60
Software Win11
Benchmark Scores very high of course
So it's official, Crinacle is a Hifiman shill! :roll:

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard B550 Aorus Elite v2
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 ARGB w/ Conductonaut
Memory 4x8 GB HyperX Fury 3600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio
Storage 970 EVO 1TB, 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Display(s) Omen 32q
Case SilentiumPC Regnum RG6V EVO TG ARGB
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s+L30, Emu Teak, AH-D5200&D2000, HD660S2, Focal Elegia, SR325x, 7Hz Zero:2, MDR-1AM2, etc
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Xtrfy M4
Keyboard Alloy Origins 60
Software Win11
Benchmark Scores very high of course

I was just kinda jokingly referring to the fact that his ratings of Hifiman headphones seem slightly more positive than general reviews of Hifiman headphones. Example being the subject of this review, the HE1000se, he rates them "A+" with an "A+" for tuning and "S-" for technicalities, while at the same time commenting "Basically a brighter and slightly shoutier version of the OG; may be a little too intense for some." And I suspect that if any other manufacturers' headphone sounded the same, he would not be as generous. See his web here. But maybe I'm just too paranoid, seeing that more than 40% of his top-rated headphones are from Hifiman. Maybe Hifiman really is just that good, maybe it's his subjective opinion and he just really likes the Hifiman sound. And I've never heard a single Hifiman headphone :D

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I was just kinda jokingly referring to the fact that his ratings of Hifiman headphones seem slightly more positive than general reviews of Hifiman headphones. Example being the subject of this review, the HE1000se, he rates them "A+" with an "A+" for tuning and "S-" for technicalities, while at the same time commenting "Basically a brighter and slightly shoutier version of the OG; may be a little too intense for some." And I suspect that if any other manufacturers' headphone sounded the same, he would not be as generous. See his web here. But maybe I'm just too paranoid, seeing that more than 40% of his top-rated headphones are from Hifiman. Maybe Hifiman really is just that good, maybe it's his subjective opinion and he just really likes the Hifiman sound. And I've never heard a single Hifiman headphone :D
Oh I am well aware of the guy and his ranking list. To be fair it's his subjective thoughts too, and he likes the HIFIMAN house tuning. I am overall a fan of their headphones too, just not here and in a couple of others not yet covered here. I also won't ever make a ranking list like that because so much depends on your memory of how some products were.

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
nice review bro, one question need your advice to move from HD700 to the something price range of $1500, I have Schitt lyr 2

System Name Locutus TT P90 open air case
Processor Intel I7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 WIFI D4
Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Memory 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600 DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 Holo LHR
Storage 3 various branded SSDs and 6 TB Seagate HD
Display(s) LG 32'' g-sync 144 Hz VA IPS
Case P90 open air case
Power Supply EVGA G2 1 KW
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
  • Piercingly bright in the treble region for most people
  • EQ doesn't fix this deficiency without losing technical performance
  • Some female vocals can sound hollow in the upper mids, and others can be sibilant
Too many flaws at this price.

nice review bro, one question need your advice to move from HD700 to the something price range of $1500, I have Schitt lyr 2
While I'm not @VSG who you are asking, I'm curious what your main genres that you listen to are?

• Piercingly bright in the treble region for most people
  • EQ doesn't fix this deficiency without losing technical performance
  • Some female vocals can sound hollow in the upper mids, and others can be sibilant
Too many flaws at this price.
I don't want to turn this into a hate fest but I feel the same. One would expect little to no significant flaws in this price segment.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
$1200 for a cable.

iPhone is $1000 and people think it's expensive

It's a niche hobby, no different than car guys who spend obsene amounts on car parts. Everyone has their "thing"

While I'm not @VSG who you are asking, I'm curious what your main genres that you listen to are?

I don't want to turn this into a hate fest but I feel the same. One would expect little to no significant flaws in this price segment.

yeah that's why reviews are good, now you know to avoid it if you are ever in the high end market. as far as I am aware STAX electrostatic headphones are still considered end game headphones for the rich. about 5 grand for the whole setup though.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
yeah that's why reviews are good, now you know to avoid it if you are ever in the high end market. as far as I am aware STAX electrostatic headphones are still considered end game headphones for the rich. about 5 grand for the whole setup though.

Maybe I should share these here then:

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

I have e-stats in the house, including two separate amps, and soon I've talk to the Nectar Hive guy again and take him up on the review offer too. Sadly no STAX yet, their marketing department doesn't respond back lol.

Space Lynx

Astronaut