• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High FPS but games stutter/choppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
What Monitor do you have specifically?

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Memory 16GB HyperX 3200 MHz
Storage Intel 545s 512GB SSD, WD HD 1TB
Display(s) Philips 226e9qhab
Case Cooler Master K380
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum 750W
Software Windows 10

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Okay, if you say so but the game is now completely unplayable. I guess it has something to do with the gpu then.
You need to turn on vsync one way or another - FreeSync being the best option. If it was still stuttering with that switched on, then there would be a system problem somewhere.

Have you just upgraded to a faster graphics card, maybe? If so, the irony is that in some instances it can actually look less smooth in some instances with vsync off. It all depends on those various factors I described, especially the ratio of the monitor refresh rate and the framerate that the graphics card is outputting.

Oh and I agree with @eidairaman1 that the man in the shop is an idiot. Seasonic is actually one of the best brands out there. You just can't go wrong with one of those. Also, the PSU will not cause stuttering issues, unless the system is about to bsod due to bad power in a couple of seconds.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
You need to turn on vsync one way or another - FreeSync being the best option. If it was still stuttering with that switched on, then there would be a system problem somewhere.

Have you just upgraded to a faster graphics card, maybe? If so, the irony is that in some instances it can actually look less smooth in some instances with vsync off. It all depends on those various factors I described, especially the ratio of the monitor refresh rate and the framerate that the graphics card is outputting.

Oh and I agree with @eidairaman1 that the man in the shop is an idiot. Seasonic is actually one of the best brands out there. You just can't go wrong with one of those. Also, the PSU will not cause stuttering issues, unless the system is about to bsod due to bad power in a couple of seconds.
But the problem is that in that game fps is locked to 60 no matter what and there are no options like that, just a slider from low to high :/ (I'm not talking about the game I recorded in that video)

1/ Using dual channel will help, should gain about 5% performance.

2. 8 GB is a bit light, would suggest selling the 1 stick and buying a matched pair for insured compatability.

3. PSU quality is not about branding ... while some generic statement can be made, there's always exceptions, it's aboust Model Nos. Your PSU is probably the best unit on the market in that price range scoring 10 / 10 in Performance / Build quality as i recall on JonnyGuru. And the better ones are just more energy efficient. which affects only electricity cost to a minor extent. Ask for the manager and tell him he employs an idiot. His case / PSU recommendations are low budget / low quality ... can't blame him for the Intel / nVidia thing ... That doesn't mean AMD stuff is all crap, it just means that they are in 2nd place for gaming.

4. The MoBo / CPU could be improved ... the MoBo's biggest failing however is the audio subsystem. There are better CPus but this is not likely related to your problem.

5. We don't have to worry about game developer support for sync.

6. Use V-Sync **or** Freesync, not both

7. The suggested monitor update should be performed before investigating further.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
But the problem is that in that game fps is locked to 60 no matter what and there are no options like that, just a slider from low to high :/ (I'm not talking about the game I recorded in that video)

So the game is running at 60fps without being vsync locked? Is that right? I guess that's possible depending the design of the game and will also lead to stuttering issues.

What refresh rate is your monitor running at?

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
So the game is running at 60fps without being vsync locked? Is that right? I guess that's possible depending the design of the game and will also lead to stuttering issues.

What refresh rate is your monitor running at?
Dude, it's in all games I tried both my monitor and my tv. And I tried changing the refresh rate on both.

1/ Using dual channel will help, should gain about 5% performance.

2. 8 GB is a bit light, would suggest selling the 1 stick and buying a matched pair for insured compatability.

3. PSU quality is not about branding ... while some generic statement can be made, there's always exceptions, it's aboust Model Nos. Your PSU is probably the best unit on the market in that price range scoring 10 / 10 in Performance / Build quality as i recall on JonnyGuru. And the better ones are just more energy efficient. which affects only electricity cost to a minor extent. Ask for the manager and tell him he employs an idiot. His case / PSU recommendations are low budget / low quality ... can't blame him for the Intel / nVidia thing ... That doesn't mean AMD stuff is all crap, it just means that they are in 2nd place for gaming.

4. The MoBo / CPU could be improved ... the MoBo's biggest failing however is the audio subsystem. There are better CPus but this is not likely related to your problem.

5. We don't have to worry about game developer support for sync.

6. Use V-Sync **or** Freesync, not both

7. The suggested monitor update should be performed before investigating further.

I'm pretty sure he owns the store. And I tried the monitor drivers and it didn't help. And like I said i tried it on my TV.

Here's another video
I'm still not sure why amd relive picked it up tho if it's just "screen tearing"

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
does those game you are playing require online connection. do you have way to monitor server ping when you play and what is your ping when you get stutter.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Dude, it's in all games I tried both my monitor and my tv. And I tried changing the refresh rate on both.
Dude, that doesn't really clarify anything and I need a clear picture of what's going on in order to help you, not a dismissive reply. But never mind, it's not my problem.

I think you're still looking for the mythical smooth motion with vsync off, despite what I've explained to you and the article I linked to. Good luck finding that unicorn.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Dude, that doesn't really clarify anything and I need a clear picture of what's going on in order to help you, not a dismissive reply. But never mind, it's not my problem.

I think you're still looking for the mythical smooth motion with vsync off, despite what I've explained to you and the article I linked to. Good luck finding that unicorn.
my monitor is 75hz and my tv is 60hz
I'm not looking for 100% smooth but just not sutters as this makes some games unplayable like I said. I will turn on FreeSync in games that I can but what should I do with other games? Just let them stutter as hell making the game look like 20 fps right? Again that game at least felt smooth on my old GPU.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
I'm not looking for 100% smooth but just not sutters as this makes some games unplayable like I said. I will turn on FreeSync in games that I can but what should I do with other games? Just let them stutter as hell making the game look like 20 fps right? Again that game at least felt smooth on my old GPU.

There is no in-game options to turn on freesync, the only thing you can do is set freesync on in radeon settings, make sure freesync is enabled on your monitor and in-games leave v-sync off.
Have radeon settings set to the default setup as you want to adjust the graphic settings in-game.

On the Phillips ensure the image optimisation is set to standard, freesync enabled and according to the manual the monitor can only handle 60hz at 1080p and i'm assuming your TV is also going to be 1080p with 60hz aswell. So if your games are hitting over 60hz then its bound to start screen-tearing by default, the "stuttering" issue i'm still not clued on sadly.

Edit:
Is there option to disable the integrated graphics in the bios or something? What if the game is switching in-between the dedicated and IGPU?

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Capture.PNG

There is no in-game options to turn on freesync, the only thing you can do is set freesync on in radeon settings, make sure freesync is enabled on your monitor and in-games leave v-sync off.
Have radeon settings set to the default setup as you want to adjust the graphic settings in-game.

On the Phillips ensure the image optimisation is set to standard, freesync enabled and according to the manual the monitor can only handle 60hz at 1080p and i'm assuming your TV is also going to be 1080p with 60hz aswell. So if your games are hitting over 60hz then its bound to start screen-tearing by default, the "stuttering" issue i'm still not clued on sadly.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
One guy in a store/computer service said my PSU was crap and that I made a mistake buying a SeaSonic :( and that my old Thermaltake was probably better
Maybe he has this one LC POWER LC600H , but I can't say for sure. And he has a GTX 750 TI
He also said Chieftec and Cooler Master psu's are the best. And he is a big nvidia/intel fanboy.
Run FAR away from that place... holy crap. That guy has NO IDEA what he is talking about... wow.

Instead of swapping GPUs around, why not see if you can borrow 2x8GB of ram and see if that stops it.

1. What is your RAM use currently? If you are going past 8GB that is likely part of/a lot of the issue. Being in single channel is another. This would also be a reason some games show it and others do not, if it is crossing that use threshold.

EDIT: I only read like the first several posts, apologies if this was discussed later.

I think you're still looking for the mythical smooth motion with vsync off,
What does vsync have to do with smooth motion? Vsync prevents screen tearing... it doesn't make things more smooth...

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11

Like I said I was looking at the user manual which also states freesync support is only enabled via HDMI,
Is there option to disable the integrated graphics in the bios or something? What if the game is switching in-between the dedicated and IGPU.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
As I've explained, you're looking for the impossible. The whole reason why adaptive sync was invented was to get the advantages of no vsync for responsiveness (lag) without tearing and stuttering, so you're best off using it and is the solution to your question.

Try this little experiment with no vsync to see what I mean about smoothness.

Set your monitor to a 60Hz refresh rate, then run an old DX9 game from 2004 or earlier (Half-Life 2 is great for this and perhaps on lowish settings and resolution to get a really high framerate, say around 250-300fps or better. The result will be fluid motion with little visible stutter and tearing, along with great responsiveness. This demonstrates that the amount of stutter and tearing that you see depends on the exact parameters used. Stutter and tearing is always there though, no matter how small, unless some form of vsync is used.

What does vsync have to do with smooth motion? Vsync prevents screen tearing... it doesn't make things more smooth...
Oh yes it does - it's stutter. This is a really basic error EarthDog, I'm surprised that you don't know this.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Run FAR away from that place... holy crap. That guy has NO IDEA what he is talking about... wow.

Instead of swapping GPUs around, why not see if you can borrow 2x8GB of ram and see if that stops it.

1. What is your RAM use currently? If you are going past 8GB that is likely part of/a lot of the issue. Being in single channel is another. This would also be a reason some games show it and others do not, if it is crossing that use threshold.
How should I borrow ram?? I mean my friend has DDR4 i have DDR3. I will just try swapping the gpu and if it's fine in his computer I guess I just need an upgrade. (I hope it's just this). As my planing to upgrade next year anyway.

As I've explained, you're looking for the impossible. The whole reason why adaptive sync was invented was to get the advantages of no vsync for responsiveness (lag) without tearing and stuttering, so you're best off using it and is the solution to your question.

Try this little experiment with no vsync to see what I mean about smoothness.

Set your monitor to a 60Hz refresh rate, then run an old DX9 game from 2004 or earlier (Half-Life 2 is great for this and perhaps on lowish settings and resolution to get a really high framerate, say around 250-300fps or better. The result will be fluid motion with little visible stutter and tearing, along with great responsiveness. This demonstrates that the amount of stutter and tearing that you see depends on the exact parameters used. Stutter and tearing is always there though, no matter how small, unless some form of vsync is used.
Well I can still only blame the GPU. As it wasn't bad like this before. Thanks for trying to help anyways. I will still try to swap out the gpus.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Well I can still only blame the GPU. As it wasn't bad like this before. Thanks for trying to help anyways. I will still trying to swap out the gpus.
Ok buddy, good luck.

How should I borrow ram?? I mean my friend has DDR4 i have DDR3.
Respectfully, that isn't my concern. I'm just sharing information to help you troubleshoot. Its your job to make it happen...if possible. If not, you can't, but this is the way to see if it is the RAM causing the issue... which is entirely possible due to it being in single channel as well as having 'only' 8GB. If any title goes over that capacity, stuttering can be involved.

Oh yes it does - it's stutter. This is a really basic error EarthDog, I'm surprised that you don't know this.
Vsync, by itself, is there to remove screen tearing. There are other forms of this which smooth out appearance, but vsync by itself is only for screen tearing... here's a good read: https://www.maketecheasier.com/what-is-vsync/
As stated, VSync is worth a try if you’re experiencing screen tears.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html
It is an unfortunate fact that if you disable VSync, your graphics card and monitor will inevitably go out of synch. Whenever your FPS exceeds the refresh rate (e.g. 120 FPS on a 60Hz screen), or in general at any point during which your graphics card is working faster than your monitor, the graphics card produces more frames in the frame buffer than the monitor can actually display at any one time. The end result is that when the monitor goes to get a new frame from the primary buffer of the graphics card during VBI, the resulting output may be made up of two or more different frames overlapping each other. The onscreen image may appear to be slightly out of alignment or 'torn' in parts whenever there is any movement - and thus it is referred to as Tearing.

Let's update that internal database of yours there @qubit. :)

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Single channel RAM or old (or almost full) HDD make that happen more often than not. Stuttering is rarely a GPU related problem, especially when it is so powerful for 1080P as a 590. Only an inadequate PSU can be related to a bad performing GPU of this performance level. HDD checking first, emptying it as much as possible. If this don't make things better, another stick of the same RAM capacity should be the next test. My 5 cents.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Vsync, by itself, is there to remove screen tearing. There are other forms of this which smooth out appearance, but vsync by itself is only for screen tearing... here's a good read: https://www.maketecheasier.com/what-is-vsync/

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

Let's update that internal database of yours there @qubit. :)
This author from this website I've never heard doesn't really know what he's talking about, either. He completely misses out the stutter effect you get with vsync off and also states that there's no screen tearing when the GPU fps is below refresh, which is also wrong. Some of the other stuff, is ok.

Look, I've seen the stutter with my own two eyes every times vsync is turned off, both on CRT and LCD displays and it's usually quite obvious, so I know it's there, the evidence is solid. It's a fact that cannot be argued with and a decent website will explain this, too.

A much better reference where they really know what they're talking about, are www.blurbusters.com

A much better reference where they really know what they're talking about, are www.blurbusters.com
That is possible I suppose...

Can you link directly to whatever at that website is supporting your assertion, please?

EDIT: This is the closest I found... though it mentions Vsync, it doesn't seem to in the same capacity you are..
https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

EDIT2: https://www.pcgamer.com/what-is-microstutter-and-how-do-i-fix-it/

Microstutter most often occurs when the rate of new frames doesn't quite match up to your monitor's refresh rate and vsync is enabled.
There are other potential causes of microstutter, like drivers and/or multiple GPUs. SLI and CrossFire are both seeing less support these days, however, so I'm going to focus on the most common culprit these days: vsync and framerate caps.

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
part of the problem could be that you only have 1x8GB stick of ram. Preferably you would want a 4x2 or an 8x2 if you can spare the cash for the upgrade.
Freedom is on the button you have half the bandwidth of computers typically have to game with. .... . .

Status
Not open for further replies.