• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High idle fan speed on RTX Founders Editions

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I've done some digging over the last couple of days and come up empty, perhaps you guys can help.

I recently switched a few cards around and ended up with the nice, compact 2060FE in my HTPC. Unfortunately, the room it's in is really quiet and so is the PC it went into. Everything was fine until the Nvidia driver was installed, and now it runs the fan at 1200rpm even when idle. It could be worse, my searches seem to indicate that the other FE cards run 1500rpm idle fans!

To put that into context, at idle this 2060FE is now noisier than the reference 5700XT at load* that it replaced; At full load this RTX 2060FE only spins the fans at ~1700rpm anyway which is obvious and audible but since it only occurs during gaming it's perfectly acceptable. The 2060FE is a pretty average mid-range card in terms of noise levels under load so it's pretty much what you'd expect it to be.

I don't have an accurate sound pressure meter, but here are the numbers using an app on my phone:

36dB = This is the background noise levels in the room with the PC off
36dB = 2m from PC with 2060FE and no driver loaded (sitting in BIOS). I can hear that it's on, but it's not as loud as general background noise.
49dB = 2m from PC with 2060FE and driver loaded - idle at desktop with 1200rpm fans
51dB = 2m from PC with 2060FE and driver loaded running OCCT with ~1740rpm fans.

The problem at idle appears to be the driver. Without the driver installed, the fans are quiet - I have no idea what speed they run at but they're running at a sensible speed for a card that GPU-Z claims is drawing just 11Watts when idle

The first thing I tried is something like MSI Afterburner to set a custom fan curve, but Nvidia have locked the fans at 1200rpm minimum. For what its worth, this minimum fan speed is capable of keeping the card cool all the way up to about 130W power limit, so you can see that 1200rpm covers "full load" in the vast majority of v-sync capped gaming.

The second thing I tried was looking for a BIOS that is compatible with the 2060FE, and given that it's a pretty unique card with a USB-C VirtualLink and different display outputs to other AIB cards, I'm also coming up empty.

Does anyone else have an FE, and do the fans annoy you. If so, what have you tried? Thanks!

* - this is using Wattman to cap the GPU clock at 1650MHz and voltage at 900mv, so it really was pretty quiet to be fair to the 2060FE.
The 5700XT is a bit louder at stock settings when its allowed to boost to around ~1850MHz but AMD defaults push it waaaaay beyond the sweet spot and at far too much voltage, as always....

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I have an FE (several). This is normal operation. I cannot hear it at idle or on load over 3x 120mm yate loons and 2x 140mm yate loon (high, ~800rpm).

Didnt know that about FE. Since many AIB cards have the zero fan speed feature at idle.

GreyAmbience

Hey guys, if you have the Founders Edition you can follow this guide to flash a new BIOS (you run the risk of bricking your card of course):

The original firmware will not go under 40%. I read and followed the guide carefully and it worked for me. I have a 2080 FE. My fans are 0rpm up to 40 degrees now and my PC thinks it's an EVGA card.
I should add, I only did this for the fan issue, I have no intentions of overclocking or anything, which the guide was really made for I think.