• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High LatencyMon Reporting

System Name PIA
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling Corsair H50
Memory 2x8GB Gskill DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1660 Super
Storage Samsung EVO 970 1TB
Display(s) 2xAOC Curved 24" 144hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L
Power Supply CORSAIR RMX (White) RM750x
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hi,

I got a new NVMe SSD, PSU, and Case for Christmas. I performed a fresh install of windows and installed all the latest drivers and such. I quickly noticed while playing a game that there was a subtle stutter every so often in the game and It was very annoying to me. I checked the usual suspects like temperature, running at 144hz on the monitor, FPS, updated drivers, making sure the GPU is in the right PCIe slot... and a lot of other stuff. Nothing seemed to be helping or hinting at what the problem could be.

So I turned to LatencyMon and it picked this up fairly quickly.

LatencyMon1.PNG
Because the result seemed to point to NVIDIA I decided to try downgrading to a previous version of GPU drivers (using the "clean Install" option). It may have done something, because the result does look a little different, but still not good. This one also seems to say "at least one detected problem appears network related".... weird.

LatencyMon2.png

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to eliminate this error from LatencyMon? I am hoping that once I solve this problem it will eliminate the subtle stutter/lag I am noticing in games.

Do you notice these stutters when streaming video also ?

Did a quick test, seems like an interesting bit of software !

Untitled.png

System Name PIA
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling Corsair H50
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10 Pro
I will try unplugging the USB 3.0 front panel today. I read somewhere that might be it.

Update: Nah, that doesn't seem to be it.

Do you notice these stutters when streaming video also ?
I didn’t notice but I will try and report.

Also, try running it for longer than 38 seconds. I usually get my "error" after 4-7 minutes and doing some kind of task, like playing a game.

Update 2: Yes, YouTube also sets it off the error in LatencyMon, but I don't see the stutter like I do in game.

Today I tried:
  • Updating to latest BIOS
  • disabling PSS (re-enabled after test)
  • Memtest86 for an hour (no problems)
  • Disabled ACPI Suspend to Ram (re-enabled after test)
  • Reinstalling Chipset drivers
  • Reinstalling Nvidia Drivers
  • Using Driver Verifier to see if anything came up
  • Trying different USB ports
  • Unplugging front HD Audio and USB 3.0 for Case from Mobo
  • Unplugging every SATA connection (storage drives... windows and programs are on NVMe)
  • Tried turning NVIDIA settings up to performance mode
LatencyMon still detects something when playing a video game, playing a youtube video, or playing a video offline (I tested just to see if it would happen).

I'm running out of things to try.

Last edited:
what kind of memory latency do you have on aida64 benchmark ? also did you try a clear cmos after bios update ?

System Name My system is my pet?
Processor Intel Core i5 9400f 2.9GHz/4.0 Turbo (NoOC)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370M D3H rev. 1.0
Cooling An okayish Cooler but it is better than Intel's stock
Memory Corsair Red Line 8x2 16GB 3000MHz (NoOC) DDR4-3000 15-17-17-35 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R) V1.35 ver 4.24
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce MSI 980 Ti Golden Edition (NoOC)| Spare: GTX 650 Ti 1 GB
Storage Samsun 860 EVO 1 TB | Spare: WDC Black 930 GiB WD1003FZEX
Display(s) Asus VG248QZ 1920x1080 144hz 24" (Current: 60hz, because Contrast is lowered with 60+ Hz)
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair 850W RMi power supply (Overkill I know -long story-)
Mouse Logitech M187 wireless (First day of use 30-9-2021)
Keyboard Logitech K270 wireless
Software Windows 10 21H2 / Nobara Linux (Modified Fedora Linux)
1- Download InSpectre and disable both Meltdown and Spectre Protection then restart.... then see? You can re-enable them later if you want.

2- Download and install AMD Chipset Drivers https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/B550

3- Download and Extract DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller):
Uninstall the graphics drivers as you would normally do via Programs and Features. Then run DDU and uninstall then after the restart, install the graphics drivers.

Bonus: Use NVCleanstall by Wizzard (TechPowerUp's owner). It can slim down the installation of the nvidia drivers.

Last edited:
System Name ChronicleScienceWorkStation
Processor AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard Asrock X399 Taichi
Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Memory G.Skill DDR4 3200 C14 16GB*4
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 970 Pro*1, Kingston A2000 1TB*2 RAID 0, HGST 8TB*5 RAID 6
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Software Proxmox 6.2
This is one of the most difficult thing to track.
Here are some of my experience

Processor Intel i7 4770k
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Cooling BeQuiet! Shadow Rock 3
Memory Patriot Viper 3 RedD 16 GB @ 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB
Storage 1x SSD Samsung EVO 250 GB 1x HDD Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 1x HDD Seagate Barracuda 4 TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G2U QHD, Dell S2415H FHD
Case Cooler Master HAF XM
Audio Device(s) Magnat LZR 980, Razer BlackShark V2, Altec Lansing 251
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Unrelated to the results of that program, do you get very high fps in some games? It could be a CPU bottleneck because of that. If that's the case, I'd cap the fps to something below 200 fps.

Memory Corsair Red Line 8x2 16GB 3000MHz (NoOC) DDR4-3000 15-17-17-35 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R) V1.35 ver 4.24
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce MSI 980 Ti Golden Edition (NoOC)| Spare: GTX 650 Ti 1 GB
Display(s) Asus VG248QZ 1920x1080 144hz 24" (Current: 60hz, because Contrast is lowered with 60+ Hz)
Case Corsair Air 540
4- Go to Power Options > Edit Pan Settings.
Under USB Settings, Set "USB selective suspend settings" to Disabled. (This sometimes caused my USB ports to stop working and nothing will fix until a restart. I clicked into Sandbo's site above and someone mentioned it can cause stutters and disabling it fixed his issue.

5- Go to Power Options > Edit Pan Settings.
Under PCI Express. Set "Link State Power Management" to Off.

System Name PIA
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling Corsair H50
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10 Pro
what kind of memory latency do you have on aida64 benchmark ? also did you try a clear cmos after bios update ?
I'll run and report back. I did memtest86 and had no errors if that helps.
I did not, but bios update was after I noticed problems. I think the bios update auto cleared cache tho, cause I had to go back in and change some settings.
1- Download InSpectre and disable both Meltdown and Spectre Protection then restart.... then see? You can re-enable them later if you want.

2- Download and install AMD Chipset Drivers https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/B550

Uninstall the graphics drivers as you would normally do via Programs and Features. Then run DDU and uninstall then after the restart, install the graphics drivers.

Bonus: Use NVCleanstall by Wizzard (TechPowerUp's owner). It can slim down the installation of the nvidia drivers.
I'll try some of those, but I did install the chipset drivers already.
This is one of the most difficult thing to track.
Here are some of my experience
Yea, every thread on the internet about this kind of thing is so frustrating and inconclusive.
Unrelated to the results of that program, do you get very high fps in some games? It could be a CPU bottleneck because of that. If that's the case, I'd cap the fps to something below 200 fps.
Doubtful, I did not have this problem before with CPU and GPU combo and very high FPS in CSGO. But I do cap FPS anyway.

I think it has to do with the NVMe. I'm eventually going to try a fresh install on my old SATA SSD.

4- Go to Power Options > Edit Pan Settings.
Under USB Settings, Set "USB selective suspend settings" to Disabled. (This sometimes caused my USB ports to stop working and nothing will fix until a restart. I clicked into Sandbo's site above and someone mentioned it can cause stutters and disabling it fixed his issue.

5- Go to Power Options > Edit Pan Settings.
Under PCI Express. Set "Link State Power Management" to Off.
Thank you, will try now.
edit: k, USB setting is off but PCI setting was already off.

Last edited:
System Name ChronicleScienceWorkStation
Processor AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard Asrock X399 Taichi
Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Memory G.Skill DDR4 3200 C14 16GB*4
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 970 Pro*1, Kingston A2000 1TB*2 RAID 0, HGST 8TB*5 RAID 6
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Software Proxmox 6.2
I did not, but bios update was after I noticed problems. I think the bios update auto cleared cache tho, cause I had to go back in and change some settings.

I'll try some of those, but I did install the chipset drivers already.

Yea, every thread on the internet about this kind of thing is so frustrating and inconclusive.

Doubtful, I did not have this problem before with CPU and GPU combo and very high FPS in CSGO. But I do cap FPS anyway.

I think it has to do with the NVMe. I'm eventually going to try a fresh install on my old SATA SSD.

Thank you, will try now.
edit: k, USB setting is off but PCI setting was already off.
One last solution maybe to reinstall windows, and before so you could just backup the current system (or if you can, use another drive) so you can restore it if it didn't help.

I'm saying this because I experienced these micro stutters during gaming and video playback after updating my bios, managed to resolve them by reducing my memory overclock (3533 to 3200) but ultimately managed to get back my overclock settings by doing a clear cmos with the new bios and manually adjusting again my overclock settings.

Also, try running it for longer than 38 seconds. I usually get my "error" after 4-7 minutes and doing some kind of task, like playing a game.

So I'm experiencing the same as you when I launch a game but I think it's normal when the game goes full screen or if alt-tab to desktop, I'm pretty sure if you run the game windowed you wont get these spikes in latency

Last edited:
System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
Except for the odd stutter in game, do you notice any other issues? Did you notice anything wrong or off when you watched youtube or played a file locally?

If you go in to the "stats" tab in latancymon and scroll down to nvlddmkm etc.
What do the table under "total time spend in DPCs (%)" show?

in my case when i tested it out, it shows that out of the 950k counts, 28 of them were spend between 500-10000µs and 2 between 2000-4000µs.
So, not really an issue. But then again, I don't have an issue currently.

But maybe it can help you figure something out. If the issue you have is related to it, I would assume your counts would be higher and more consistent.

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
When running LatencyMon, make sure you fresh boot and allow it to set idle for about 10 minutes or so. Then run LatencyMon and allow that to run for 10 minutes as well.
Try to close anything running in the background before running the test.

System Name PIA
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling Corsair H50
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10 Pro
One last solution maybe to reinstall windows, and before so you could just backup the current system (or if you can, use another drive) so you can restore it if it didn't help.
I’ve done that a few times, but it could help if I did it again and installed chipset drivers before windows installs default stuff and NVIDIA drivers. I’m holding off for now though until I exhaust a few more options.
I'm saying this because I experienced these micro stutters during gaming and video playback after updating my bios, managed to resolve them by reducing my memory overclock (3533 to 3200) but ultimately managed to get back my overclock settings by doing a clear cmos with the new bios and manually adjusting again my overclock settings.

So I'm experiencing the same as you when I launch a game but I think it's normal when the game goes full screen or if alt-tab to desktop, I'm pretty sure if you run the game windowed you wont get these spikes in latency
Thank you for confirming. It couldn’t hurt for me to try. When you say clear CMOS, do you think it’s fine to do it in the Bios settings or should I hit the clear CMOS button or do it old school and take out the battery? I assume it doesn’t make a difference but I might as well ask. I can just hit the button for now.
Except for the odd stutter in game, do you notice any other issues? Did you notice anything wrong or off when you watched youtube or played a file locally?

If you go in to the "stats" tab in latancymon and scroll down to nvlddmkm etc.
What do the table under "total time spend in DPCs (%)" show?

in my case when i tested it out, it shows that out of the 950k counts, 28 of them were spend between 500-10000µs and 2 between 2000-4000µs.
So, not really an issue. But then again, I don't have an issue currently.

But maybe it can help you figure something out. If the issue you have is related to it, I would assume your counts would be higher and more consistent.
Tbh no. The only thing I’m noticing is in CSGO (the main game I play) there are these .1-.5ms stutters that are really jarring to me. I didn’t notice them in borderlands a few days ago. I will also try Doom Eternal today and see if I notice anything.

also
When running LatencyMon, make sure you fresh boot and allow it to set idle for about 10 minutes or so. Then run LatencyMon and allow that to run for 10 minutes as well.
Try to close anything running in the background before running the test.

okay I will try.

Also, when running Userbenchmark and comparing the results to my pre-NVMe system, everything looks fine except for my gpu. It says it is performing below expectation... any ideas? I see no reason why it should perform worse than before.

Hey, so I am going to test this now... but thank you for pointing me to both DDU and NVCleanstall.
Check out this thread:

This is a feature within NVCleanstall, which I just utilized. I checked and my old driver install DID have a positive number (which I guess means MSI is off, based on what W1zzard said). After installation the number is negative, which seems to imply MSI is on.
NegativeIRQ.PNG

Off to test!

Case Corsair Air 540
While trying to look into the issue, this page I found in Calypto’s Windows Latency Guide in Sandbo's site
Reminded of enabling Message-Signaled Interrupts. Thank you very much for pointing this out Drizzt5! I knew about it in NVCleanstall but I delayed looking into it for my own stuttering issues lol. I also have these issues. Going to try it and keep using the PC as I normally do so I can really be sure what change it did.

System Name PIA
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling Corsair H50
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10 Pro
So I played a lot of games yesterday. I do not see it in videos, Starcraft 2, or Doom Eternal. I still see it occasionally in CSGO. It's slight, infrequent, but it is there. It's really hard to measure unfortunately.

I did get a private message from someone (I won't use their name because I assume they would have posted here if they wanted it to be known) who suggested switching the NVMe SSD from the upper m.2 slot to the lower m.2 slot. The upper slot shares lanes with the CPU while the lower one is through the chipset. The SSD would take a performance hit but perhaps everything else would be smoother.

I am going to try this soon because I think it makes a lot of sense for my issue. If I don't notice a difference I will go back. I am seeing a small dip in performance on GPU benchmarks... although a lot of people are saying that it shouldn't be the case because GPUs have dedicated PCIe lanes and can't even saturate x16 as it is.