• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High PCIe Slot Power Draw Costs RX 480 PCI-SIG Integrator Listing

REALLY... are people such stupid douchebags that they bring up 970!?

gee i didnt know JEDEC makes a compliance list or that segmented memory speed is anything close to electricity & failures or even fires

obviously we dont care about the sticker, what about someone with a lower end mobo? what about corporate IT support? what about an OEM? how about thinking of others for once

which reminds me, never called out the hysterical mob in the call of duty article months ago, sick of such people infesting what should be an intelligent empathetic enthusiast forum

REALLY... are people such stupid douchebags that they bring up 970!?

gee i didnt know JEDEC makes a compliance list or that segmented memory speed is anything close to electricity & failures or even fires

obviously we dont care about the sticker, what about someone with a lower end mobo? what about corporate IT support? what about an OEM? how about thinking of others for once

which reminds me, never called out the hysterical mob in the call of duty article months ago, sick of such people infesting what should be an intelligent empathetic enthusiast forum

Calm your tits, just a prank bro. XDDD.

Nice reply tho I score you 3.5/4

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Ahh the 970, aka the GM204, still giving 14nm Polaris a hard time... what a GPU.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Still waiting for my ISO9001 approved video card ...

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Yep the 3.5gb/4gb is working out just fine.

That's just it, it is! The card outsold everything for good reason too.

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
yes, ignorance is widespread. enjoy that 380x level performance in dx12

You're right, all those superb DX12 games, gee I feel I'm missing out already.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
couldn't find anything confirming what you said. furthermore, i find this whole story a bit shady, i mean, first they have the rating then they dont.. its a load of bs if you ask me.

RMS is the industry standard. Every multimeter on the planet tries their hardest to indicate true RMS power. Only the crappiest multimeters measure RMS slightlg wrong and only the most advanced and expensive multimeters give you the option to disable RMS and view the peaks or lows if someone ever needs that functionality for their particular serious research purposes. But, like I said, every power meter and multimeter on the planet indicates RMS power by default and that is the standard which every electrical standard on the planet observes.

It is only armchair youtube viewers who think that some site's video about their method of hooking up a random and un-scientific amount of filtering indicates something about anything meaningful. If anything, they should have used Toms' graph of realtime data and applied RMS to Toms' realtime data to arrive at pretty close to the correct values instead of throwing some random coils into their experiment and skewing the data by an unknown and arbitrary amount without paying any attention to the lowpass or highpass filtering implications and inaccuracies introduced into their data due to an input signal of unknown frequency and randomness and then trying to explain it in a way which sounded enlightened. Neither site got it quite right. But that is besides the point.

The point is that PCI-SIG used the industry standard RMS power when it developes and publishes its industry standard. Thus they do indeed level off the peaks into a more true indication of average power consumption and heat production over extended use and load and do indeed place less importance on any individual power spike. It is similar (in a way) to what PCper tried to do, but in a much more scientific and reproduceable way which does not change drastically depending on your power supply's output ripple frequency or your game's/application's load and computation distribution.

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
RMS is the industry standard. Every multimeter on the planet tries their hardest to indicate true RMS power. Only the crappiest multimeters measure RMS slightlg wrong and only the most advanced and expensive multimeters give you the option to disable RMS and view the peaks or lows if someone ever needs that functionality for their particular serious research purposes. But, like I said, every power meter and multimeter on the planet indicates RMS power by default and that is the standard which every electrical standard on the planet observes.

It is only armchair youtube viewers who think that some site's video about their method of hooking up a random and un-scientific amount of filtering indicates something about anything meaningful. If anything, they should have used Toms' graph of realtime data and applied RMS to Toms' realtime data to arrive at pretty close to the correct values instead of throwing some random coils into their experiment and skewing the data by an unknown and arbitrary amount without paying any attention to the lowpass or highpass filtering implications and inaccuracies introduced into their data due to an input signal of unknown frequency and randomness and then trying to explain it in a way which sounded enlightened. Neither site got it quite right. But that is besides the point.

The point is that PCI-SIG used the industry standard RMS power when it developes and publishes its industry standard. Thus they do indeed level off the peaks into a more true indication of average power consumption and heat production over extended use and load and do indeed place less importance on any individual power spike. It is similar (in a way) to what PCper tried to do, but in a much more scientific and reproduceable way which does not change drastically depending on your power supply's output ripple frequency or your game's/application's load and computation distribution.
i got that. that wasn't my point, i just couldn't find the standard's specs on the net, and my point was, why give the compliance in the first place and then take it away? that looks shady to me and totally unprofessional. also how can spikes to 200+ watts be ok for the spec but 10 watts of continuous power be harmful? im not an electrical engineer, but i find the lack of clear info on the subject not to my liking.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
I think the funny part is how the reference RX480 got the certification in the first place, since it was not compliant with the requirements.
. I won't be buying a card that could possibly overdraw power from my system.
This stuff costs far too much for me to ignore ~any~ possible risks in it's power delivery system.