• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Higher heat then I've ever seen, what could have gone wrong?

IIDX

Hi guys, I have an X800 pro flashed to 16 pipelines. I sometimes OC it with ATITool, but at the time I didn't have it OC'd.

I have an arctic silencer 4 on there, and it has worked great for almost a year. Today I was playing fable though, and when I exited I noticed my temp was 75, and had hit 82 at one point!!!
I've never even seen my card go over 60 when doing OC artifact tests even...
Anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong? My window wasn't open but my room wasn't particularily hot, and I noticed my fan filters were pretty dusty. I cleaned it all out, but now I'm scared to play games

p.s- posted this as just "what could have gone wrong" and it got closed...don't really see what was the problem, it's a fine topic title.

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
Make sure that the AC is on properly and that you don't have to much thremal paste or to less. The cooler might have got knock out of postion.

The reason your post was closed was because the title didn't decribe what the thread was about.

-Dan

N

nightelf84

Fan on silencer might be dying. Fable? you mean the one that came out in 1997?

IIDX

Nope, if that made my card heat up to 82 degrees I'd cry :p
Although that Fable was a good game :D

I also just realized one thing...I went into the fan settings and it said the fan was at 32% speed even when the temp was 70 degrees :S
I programmed it to ramp up to 100% by the time it hit arund 40 degrees...I guess I better not take any more chances and just keep it at 100% all the time.

N

nightelf84

The noise level out of the silencer should be nowhere near audible even at 100% speed

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
32%...ya that would do it. :p

-Dan

OC'd2theM@X

Use good goo

I have same cooler and I use artic silver 5 goo. It can never hurt but do not blob it on just a thin coat on BOTH sides will do. Then give the ol' 1280x1024 ( insert game here ) test and check temp. Everyone seems to forget about the goo.

:D Keep on OC'ing

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
What kind of pro do you have? I'd love a pro flashed to 16 pipelines, especially with a silencer. Can it XT or just flash to 16? Also, is that silencer pretty good in your opinion? I'm thinking of the Silencer 5 for a 6800 Ultra, or a Zalman VF700Cu. Thanks man

IIDX

The silencer is absolutely amazing. After I put it on I barely even broke my old idle temps even when I was doing a heavy load. The thing idles at below 40 degrees and rarely ever gets much above 50. It is silent and exhausts out the back of the computer which is great.

My x800 was an Asus x800 pro vivo. I got it RIGHT when the x800 was released. There was a LOT of discussion on this board when I did it about how to do it, and I found tons of sites through google. I'd link you to them but my firefox spazzed out and I lost all my bookmarks 2 days ago. Sorry.

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Thanks man. I'd love to find an affordable VIVO, but I think I'll just go with the 6800 and overclock it. Still trying to decide between that VF700Cu and your Silencer, but you definitely gave me a good reason to get it. Only reason I'm still deciding is my card has copper, lapped RAM heatsinks already (from the last owner, I would never lap a heatsink unless I was breaking a record), plus I have a fan on the PCI port under the graphics card that blows cool air from the outside directly into where the fan is mounted on the core's heatsink, so with the exhaust it'll blow right into the "fresh air" intake, which ruins the point lol. Still deciding though, I hear great things from the Silencers.

IIDX

Yep, the silencers can be a bit akward to put on, since it encompases the entire card and touches all the ram (with some gel on each one), but you sound like you know what you are doing so it shouldn't be a problem.

Weigy104

Processor AMD Athlon 4200+ X2 939
Motherboard MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum
Cooling Arctic Silencer 4 and Gigabyte G-Power Pro
Memory 1GB DDR400 value crap :(
Video Card(s) X800 Pro Modded to XT via bios flash
Storage Seagate Baracuda 160GB & Samsung Spinpoint T 500GB :)
Display(s) ACER AL1751
Case Thermaltake Tsunami Dream :D
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 4
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 400W
Software Windows XP Pro SP2, Ubuntu, Windows 2k3
yeh i would recommend the silencer over anyother VGA cooler currently on the market. I'm gettin a bit worried about my temps though, i can't remember what they were when i first installed the arctic cooler a couple of months ago but now my idle is about 40 and my load about 55-60 this is still pretty gd temps and they drop by almost 10 when i remove my sidepanel cos recently me and djbbenn discovered that my case has shocking airflow, dont ask me how because i have filled every fan slot possible. but hey shit happens. I've been thinking about removing my arctic cooler cleaning it up and reaplying the paste with arctic silver 5 cos it is the best paste. but it's alot of hassle doing this and when i originally installed the card i got paste everywhere even got little bits of it on the bit that goes round the gpu :eek: prob not the best idea but it took me ages to install my cooler and i was fed up. do you think getting paste ont they bits could hinder overclock on gpu? my card already does xt but i want xtpe and i'm looking at every possible detail on how to do this.

OC'd2theM@X

Artic cooler and goo

Artic Silver makes a goo remover so I would pick that up and try to do a clean up with that stuff and then apply the Artic Silver on the goo needing parts and then see what happens. Mine was rpetty easy to install though. My pro is doing above xt pe 570/574 and I am happy with that so not gonna push. I got a really good deal on mine too! :cool:

:D Keep on OC'ing

Might way make sure your fan is set to 100% and make sure it is save as part of the profile. As I have seen with most tools this is possible. If ya need help doing this hit up W1ZZARD for the info as I believe he is the ATI Utility expert

Last edited: