• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HIS Radeon 9600XT HW failure?

B

Beowulf

I bought a HIS Radeon 9600XT card which worked in the beginning but then started to show graphical and coloured noise. I had it exchanged (at least there's a new serial number on the card) but I have the same problems. After about 30minutes in a 3D game the problem would arise and I need to reboot. Then it's ok as long as I don't start another game.

I tried ATI Tool to see if I get any clues what the problem might be. When I select "Scan for Artifacts" or "Show 3D view" I would instantly get coloured noise on the screen and need to reboot.

Any suggestion what this might cause or whether this indicates a hardware failure. Or is it possible that this card simply is not compatible with my system?

MSI VIA KT266A
AMD XP 1600
512 MB Ram
analogue monitor (FlexScan F56, 70Hz)
enough power

Frozen

Its gotta be a problem with the system if 2 of em failed....try changing AGP speed, turning off fastwrite, etc...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
sounds like it could be a heat problem... try running with the side cover off.. inspect fans and verify their running...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
You may want to check your BIOS rev... an issue with a ASUS model and ATI card required a BIOS rev... could be something with your MSI MOBO as well

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Have you checked by other means beside the serial number if you didn't get the same card again?
Most Ati cards have the serial number on a sticker, so it wouldn't be too hard to change it, A friend of mine sent his defective 9700Pro back for a replacement because he had the same problems as you, then he got a card with a different serial number sticker some months later, but the "new" card is showing the same problems too.
Then, after we checked the card he noticed it was the same he sent before, because the card had a very small dent in a corner on the PCB, and when we removed the HS in order to replace it for an arctic cooler, it had a mess of thermal paste all over the core, and it even had some fingerprints on it :eek:
Now he's sending it back again to Canada asking for a "real" replacement.
Look for clues on your card that will tell you if got the same card after it was refurbished.

B

Beowulf

Faulty series

Thanks for all the suggestions. Before I start to mess around with my BIOS settings (I have tried to lower AGP speed; my board supports only 4x anyway), I figured to call my hardware dealer again.

I also had the fear that they might have simply replaced the sticker with the serial number but not the card (the sticker was loose). Unfortunately I did not mark the card before sending it back.

Anyway, a technician with the dealer told me that the had problems with the whole series they bought (which might explain, why they lowered the price :))

I give ATI another chance and exchanged my HIS for an ASUS Radeon 9600XT. I hope that this will settle it. If not that was it for ATI.