• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HIS X1950 Pro fan noise

bubblesnout

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz (Q6600)
Motherboard Asus P5Q
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) Kingston HyperX DDR2 1200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI NVidia GeForce GTX260 896MB O/C
Storage 2 x 750GB Seagate Barracuda SATAII
Display(s) Dell 27" Ultrasharp Widescreen 2707WFP, Dell 20" Ultrasharp Widescreen 2007WFP
Case Generic ATX Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Neopower 650W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hi everyone,

About a week ago, my case fan started making noise. giving it a little nudge with my finger stopped it making noise until I turned it off for the night, and then back on the next afternoon. But I've ordered a new one, so that's no issue.

Coincidentally, my HIS X1950 started giving me fan noise 2 days ago. It's just this slight, fast ticking noise. It's not incredibly loud, but it is very irritating, and obviously there. I've had a look at the card, and can't see how to take the plastic casing off to clean it out properly... Although I have had a good dust and blow out of it to get as much dust out as possible. There really isn't that much in there.
What's interesting, is if I tip my PC so it's resting on it's back edge, with the front in the air a little bit, the noise stops, but once I put the bottom back down the noise starts again. So one would assume that it's ever so slightly hitting some part of the plastic casing due to gravity... Not sure.
Just wondering if there are any common causes for fan noise... Also if anyone with experience with this card knows how I can remove the plastic casing to have a good look in there, your help would be great :)

All the 1950 pro's have this problem. You have to adjust the fan speeds. Just a matter or chaning them in the bios with RaBit. Then flashing with ATiFlash or WinFlash. Just change the fan speed to 100%, Those fan's don't get that loud anyway. So you maybe won't even notice the gain in db.

bubblesnout

Motherboard Asus P5Q
Display(s) Dell 27" Ultrasharp Widescreen 2707WFP, Dell 20" Ultrasharp Widescreen 2007WFP
Case Generic ATX Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Ok, now it's very loud :p
I can still hear the ticking noise (although it seems quieter, but that would be due to the fan now running so fast that its quite loud). I won't be keeping the fan at this speed because it really is a lot louder than it was before.
If I prop the PC up with a box underneath it's front, then the ticking sound is gone, but obviously that's not the most desirable solution. I'm almost certain there has to be something in there that just needs cleaning out; I'm just not sure how to take the casing off to get at it.

hmm, mine is set to 100% and I can't even tell. Have you cleaned out the fan. You take some oil (4-In One I believe what it's called) And put behind the fan. But just depends on the fan type on yours.

bubblesnout

Motherboard Asus P5Q
Case Generic ATX Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I've cleaned out the fan with a fine duster, but I might take an air compressor to it in the next couple of days to really give it a good clean out...