1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Home Server OS

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ShiBDiB, Oct 9, 2013.

1. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    it is r2. But I may go and acquire 2012... Either way, my last post in this thread. thanks for the help guys

Wrigleyvillain and xvi say thanks.
  2. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Thanks, newtekie1!

3. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Well I lied, here's the update.

- Acquired a copy of server 2012 and currently have that going as the main OS.

- Have windows remote desktop setup so the server is now officially "headless".

- Using filezilla + noip.com now have an FTP server setup.

- Using Playstation Media Server as my media center for streaming to my PC and xbox/ps3.

- Realized it's time to upgrade my home network so grabbed a NETGEAR WNDR4000-100NAR N750 Wireless Dual Band Gi... and a dual band card for my desktop. Which should fix my incredibly slow transfer rates between this and the server.

- In the process of setting up a vm to mess around with ubuntu. Hopefully to the point where I'm comfortable enough to make the switch to using it as the main server OS.

To do..

- Find somewhere to stick the server besides my closet.

- Get back into web development and host my own website? Yay productive boredom

- Find more random uses for the server.

Moving this discussion - http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2994627

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013