• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Horizontal blurred lines.

Lievet

Hi there.

I am getting random horizontal blurred lines on my screen while I play a game called 'Black Desert Online'. These lines appear more frecuently when I move the camera vertically, and they are always in horizontal position. I tried to record or screenshot this issue but, when I try to record it, the blurred lines dissapear, and the same things happens when I try to screenshot it. Even if I take a screenshot with the blurred line in my screen, after I open the image there is no blurred line, the image is clear with perfect quality (this make me suspect of the HDMI cable). Since I couldn't take evidences with my computer, I recorded the issue with my mobile phone:

You can notice the issue clearly at the beggining of the video and around the second 15.

My GPU is a gtx 970 g1 gaming with a CPU i7-4790K. My monitor was bought the last week and it is a philips 223v5 (21.5", running a 1920x1080 resolution). The HDMI cable I use is a cheap one (but I don't know if there is really diference with a good quality one). My temps are okay, the max temp of my gpu is 71ºC. Here is a screenshot of CPUID HWmonitor:

Posible useful information: I passed FurMark and Valley benchmarks without any issue. I stressed the gpu without any issue and staying below of 74ºC my gpu.

Best Regards,

Lievet.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
First, try a different cable. If the problem persists, try connecting to a different monitor or television.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I don't know what horizontal lines your talking about as I can't see any in that video.

Horizontal lines can be screen tearing which is what you get when vsync is switched off. Turn it on and it should go away.

Your HDMI cable isn't the problem as you either get a perfect picture, or nothing at all. There's no "picture quality degradation", because this is a digital signal.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Its a sync problem. Typical with AMD graphics cards from previous generations. Last I saw it was 5850s and 7970 in The Last Remnant from Squaresoft. Even with V-sync on the problem persisted it was as I said a sync problem with the game + gpu + monitor. It was a weird issue I never found a solution for sadly. Was such a pain I eventually just stopped playing said game due to the annoyance Until I switched GPU camps and problem disappeared.

The lines are vertical, not horizontal. And you can see them much easier if you watch the vid full screen at the 1080p quality setting. I don't really know what to think of it. But I would say if it's just that game that it happens with, then it's probably some setting within the game that needs adjusted. Or the game engine has some kind of inherent flaw that's causing it.

As I was typing this crazyeyes replied. By sync I assume he means hsync.

Lievet

Hi.

Thank you for all the replies.

I was running w7n and I've decided to upgrade my OS to w10 in order to have a clean instalation with clean drivers (so I can discard software issues, and I read somewhere there was a problem in w7 with the vsync and that was solved in w10, something with the monitor sample rate).

I will try another cable after I discard the software issues. The lines are horinzontal as you can notice in the early beggining of the video watching it in fullscreen at @1080 (around sec 0.35). Before to upgrade to w10, I enabled the Vsync and this seems to have reduced my problem but, randomly but less frecuently, I still get some horizontal blurred lines (pixelated lines), accomplished sometimes with a tearing screen (this is what @crazyeyesreaper pointed out). I don't know if this is a particular problem with this game since I have no idea about how to reproduce this problem on another software (maybe trying another graphic demanding games?).

Best Regards,

Lievet.

Last edited: