• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

Horror games with weapons?

Processor Intel i7 950 @ 3.2GHz
Motherboard ASUS P6X58D-E
Cooling Corsair H50 push/pull
Memory Kingston HyperX 1600 8GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7970 OC
Storage Plextor M5P 128GB/WD Black 2x1TB,1x6TB/Seagate 1TB
Display(s) Panasonic TC-L32U3
Case Antec DF-85
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371 AVR
Power Supply XFX 850w Black Edition
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I would not be surprised if most not scripted these days and just have artificial intelligence. Dunno what it has to do with Doom 3 though as the spawns i am on about in that acted more like they were triggers with very basic artificial intelligence.
Though the acronym "AI" is used a lot, there really is no such thing as artificial intelligence. NPCs that have several codes of script that run on loop, vs a single set code of NPC scripts, are still not intelligent, artificial or otherwise, it's just more elaborate scripting.

I've yet to see a game that has several NPC script patterns actually deploy randomly. Some devs will insist it is truly random, but rarely if ever is it, and even if it were, it's still scripting. If you look at ANY game in the editor it's made with you'll see NPC paths drawn out, and no matter how many there are, they cannot divert off of them or execute functions that are not within their scripting.

CruelTea

How about unreal? Or silent hill? I had nightmares about one of the missions in a mall and the tall things with huge arms. And pyramid head.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor 2500k \ 3770k
Motherboard ASRock Z68 \ Z77
Memory Samsung low profile 1600
Video Card(s) XFX 6770 \ XFX R9 290X
Storage Intel 80Gb (SATA2) WD 250Gb \ Team SSD+Samsung Evo 250Gb+500Gb+ 2xCorsair Force+WD250GbHDD
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ Toshiba HDTV 1080P
Case HTPC400 \ Thermaltake Armor case ( original ), With Zalman fan controller ( wattage usage ).
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V475 \ Marantz SR5008 Tannoy Mercury MKII Paradigm 5SE + Tannoy Mercury F4
Power Supply PC&Power 750w \ Seasonic 750w MKII
Mouse MS intelimouse \ Logitech G700s + Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ ROCCAT MK Pro ( modded amber leds )
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Though the acronym "AI" is used a lot, there really is no such thing as artificial intelligence. NPCs that have several codes of script that run on loop, vs a single set code of NPC scripts, are still not intelligent, artificial or otherwise, it's just more elaborate scripting.

I've yet to see a game that has several NPC script patterns actually deploy randomly. Some devs will insist it is truly random, but rarely if ever is it, and even if it were, it's still scripting. If you look at ANY game in the editor it's made with you'll see NPC paths drawn out, and no matter how many there are, they cannot divert off of them or execute functions that are not within their scripting.
Yes they have their set of defaults but company's like UBI wanted to make it so no user script was required. So you basically just dropped a ai on your map and it was done. Unreal Engine i dislike too as it pretty much feels that way all the time with games on that game engine ( not checked for years ).

All done to save time and money but it makes our games that we play for the most part pretty generic.