• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

House router for a hundred bucks

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Sorry for that, I misinterpreted the end of the thread. I voted for the Netgear one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'm looking for a deal on it. I think it'll be ok with it.
No problem. Thanks for coming back with the update. Just don't wait too long to pull that trigger or you will need to start over with your researching as it is likely Netgear, Linksys, D-Link or another maker will come out with something new that gives you more bang for your money.

MrGenius said:
AC numbers refer to speeds. They have nothing to do with coverage/range. Of 2.4GHz or 5GHz. You can, and typically will, get better 2.4GHz coverage/range from a higher AC number router.
Of course it has to do with coverage/range.

First, coverage and range, while related, are NOT the same thing. The range is the maximum straight-line "distance" from the WAP (wireless access point - typically integrated in a "wireless router") effective connectivity occurs for the connected wireless device. Coverage is the total "area" between the WAP and that maximum range. Plus, it must be noted the RF propagation pattern of that "coverage" is NOT a perfect circle emanating out from the WAP. And in many cases you many not even want a perfect circle.

Depending on the orientation of the antenna(s), the propagation pattern could be long and narrow, (bi-directional), with a long "range" heading east and west, and a much shorter range heading north and south. Or it could go off in one direction (uni-directional) from the WAP for an extended range in that one direction - often very desirable! Or it may look like a 4-leaf clover or a daisy for (more or less) an omni directional pattern. See this. And with a decent field signal strength meter, a user can plot that pattern and use that information to optimize their antenna orientations and/or wireless device locations to achieve maximum effective "range" for their specific "coverage" objectives to achieve the best speeds - whether using 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

It is true, with everything else being equal, 802.11AC on the 2.4GHz band does not improve the "range" performance over 802.11n. However, with proper antenna orientation and careful division of devices per band, 11AC can provide much improved area "coverage" over 11n.

Low quality post by MrGenius
I bought a better router(with a higher AC number) and got better 2.4GHz "whatever-the-hell-you-want-to-call-it-that-equates-to-better-signal-at-a-given-distance-from-it". So...proof is in the pudding. Don't really care what you have to say about it. ;)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
So...proof is in the pudding. Don't really care what you have to say about it. ;)
LOL
Before you’re convinced your sample-size-of-one experience renders moot the whole point, take just a moment and do some homework by running a Google search to bone up on RF theory - at least that for the UHF (2.4GHz) and SHF (5GHz) bands.

Point being, anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

I bought a better router(with a higher AC number) and got better 2.4GHz "whatever-the-hell-you-want-to-call-it-that-equates-to-better-signal-at-a-given-distance-from-it".
Actually, that sample size of one example just illustrated my point, not yours. If you got better "signal strength" at the same distance using 11ac, that indicates you would get a further effective "range".

We must remember radio waves travel at the speed of light. So another 20 yards at 186,000 miles per second is NOT going to result in slower speeds for those waves. The problem is signal strength decreases with distance and a weaker signal can result is missing data. Missing data requires packets be resent and THAT is why wifi speeds can decrease as "range" increases.

It is true, with everything else being equal, 802.11AC on the 2.4GHz band does not improve the "range" performance over 802.11n. However, with proper antenna orientation and careful division of devices per band, 11AC can provide much improved area "coverage" over 11n.
There is no 802.11AC on 2.4GHz. Only eventually multi stream N. If beam forming is supported there, usually is not, antennas are lacking.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
There is no 802.11AC on 2.4GHz. Period.
:( Gee whiz. Pretty sure most understood we were talking about the hardware since that is what the OP was asking about. 802.11ac is backwards compatible with 11n. That means an 11ac wireless router will be "dual-band". The better are simultaneous dual-band.

Sorry if I was not clear about that.

I just stated above that, for a house with 4 levels, ONE router will not be able to reach with 5GHz band. So it's useless to buy any fancy AC routers, they won't penetrate at 5GHz.
The only good solution to that is to wire with CAT5E each floor and add a router per floor.
Or wait for the AX routers that push AC like performance over 2.4GHz too... But probably his clients won't be AX for a long time. I have just one - Samsung Galaxy S10.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I just stated above that, for a house with 4 levels, ONE router will not be able to reach with 5GHz band.
??? For one, the OP said it was a small house. For another, as I stated, because it is a small house, it is the number of barriers and the composition of those barriers that matter more than the distance.

One wall (or floor or ceiling) will NOT block a 5GHz signal unless that wall is an 18 inch thick concrete wall, or lined with a copper screen! 5GHz can even easily penetrate 2 standard wallboard walls with wood studs if the walls are not full of metal pipes and wires! So that means, third, your assessment to avoid AC routers makes no sense at all for it assumes none of the connected devices are located near where the WAP will be placed.

What makes total sense is to buy a nice dual band 11ac wireless router. Then split the load by connecting the nearby devices on the faster 5GHz band and the more distant devices on the 2.4GHz band instead of your plan to pile up all the devices on a single, crowded 2.4GHz band (which is also crowded with other cordless phones, TV remotes, baby monitors, garage door openers, even Bluetooth devices).
The only good solution to that is to wire with CAT5E each floor and add a router per floor.
Well, now we agree on something - more or less. I agree the best solution is to go Ethernet. But that typically means you must own the house and be willing to punch holes in floors, walls and ceilings and pull cables through attics and crawlspaces.

But if you are going to pull new cable through the house, it really makes no sense to pull Cat5e. Go with Cat6 for more future proofing. And a router on each floor really makes no sense either unless you are creating and isolating separate networks. Just get a decent Gigabit (1000/100/10) Ethernet switch for the other floors. Networks only need one router.

In Bulgaria, like the rest of EU, they don't build houses of wood and drywall.
Concrete, reinforced for floors and CMU blocks for walls (or concrete again).

Also CAT6 cable is a pain to terminate for normal people. And 10Gbps routers to take advantage of that... Not so cheap, makes no sense in residential houses.
That's why I recommend CAT5E.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
In Bulgaria, like the rest of EU
Like the rest of the EU? LOL Not hardly. I have lived in Portugal, the UK and Germany and yes, lumber and drywall is used often too. And contrary to what you may think, there are still many homes in the US that use brick on the outer walls. But it makes little sense to use bricks and other such materials on the inner walls where you have central HVAC conduits, hot and cold water pipes, drain pipes, electrical and data wires running throughout. It should be noted with lumber or metal stud outer walls, better insulation can be installed too.

As for terminating Cat6 vs Cat5e, the steps are exactly the same so it makes no sense to say one is a pain suggesting the other is not.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Terminating-an-Ethernet-CAT5eCAT6-Cable/

Yes, Cat6 cost more, but not that much more and again, it insures future proofing. And as more and more streaming into the home becomes commonplace, it certainly does make sense in residential homes - especially if you have teenagers living there too. Don't assume because it makes no sense for you that it doesn't for others.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Not sure why you guys insist on derailing this topic for personal reasons, keep it on topic for the OP or move along...

We have 5 floors, in a 200 year old dairy barn (36 x 60 IIRC). It's split level, 3 floors in back and 2 in front w. my office in the hayloft w/ 20 foot ceiling hence the missing floor. I always used the Netgear ones running about $175 - $200 and had no complaints. This year thought we'd go bigger as my kids come over with their friends every other saturday for big gaming sessions. It came to two $400ish models, the Netgear Nighthawk Pro and the Asus GT-AC5300. Wanted two USB ports for two USB pronters that I wanted to make available to whole network (Stamps and photo) which both had. I wa sleanimg to th entegear but ultimately decided on the Asus because having the 8 LAN ports, it allowed me to eliminate the switch. Not happy with the choice .... and while your not looking in this proce ranmge, it's more about the manufacturer than the feature lists

I'd be concerned as, at least this Asus model, has a bunch of great features, that if ya use them, it's 24/7 spyware monitored by Trend Micro. I don't actually mind sharing data for QC purposes but the wording here was ominous, so w/o giving that up, no access to features like:

Network Protection
Router Security Assessment
Malicious Sites Blocking
Vulnerability Protection
Infected Device Prevention and Blocking
Parental Controls
Time Scheduling
Web & Apps Filters

Problems....

1. The manual's screenshots and instructions do not match what one sees on screen

2. The USB ports are not allowing printer to work as network printers... I can get one printer to work, but only way to get other PCs to access it, need to share it from my box. I can do that w/o a router.

3. We have a 400 pound MFP and a 36" wide paper (150' roll) plotter and the router can not "see" either of them. They do not appear on the Network Map.

Posting in forums has brought no solutions, telephone support says they are calling me back and emails responses keep giving me nstructions on how to get on the internet ... kind a puzzling since I **am** e-mailing them.

Netgear's forums on the other had were pretty responsive. Only did an email once and answer was responsive to question asked.

For recommendations ... We used the Netgear R6300 for Id guess 3-4 yearsw/o complaint. I'd offer it to ya fro free but I just gave it away Monday for someone to try. I will check and see if he ever put it use. This is a newer version of it
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ1YC5524

In short, before pulling the trigger, I'd check the forums for each make / model and see how many folks are having issues and how well each responds.

Also ... be aware when you buy a router, newegg and amazon often provide 'storefronts' for other distributors and these may not be authorized resellers. I was going to suggest this one but it is sold thru a storefront which is in china and if you make a warranty claim it may not be honored. I just had this happen last week because storefront (asusparts) was not authorized to distribute products in in USA. Not sure how one determines how one determines when / if warranty will be valid.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE8HT5703

Take a peek at this one and see if it fits ya needs ... big price cut at the moment brings it under $100

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00R2AZLD2/

Last edited:
??? For one, the OP said it was a small house. For another, as I stated, because it is a small house, it is the number of barriers and the composition of those barriers that matter more than the distance.

One wall (or floor or ceiling) will NOT block a 5GHz signal unless that wall is an 18 inch thick concrete wall, or lined with a copper screen! 5GHz can even easily penetrate 2 standard wallboard walls with wood studs if the walls are not full of metal pipes and wires! So that means, third, your assessment to avoid AC routers makes no sense at all for it assumes none of the connected devices are located near where the WAP will be placed.

What makes total sense is to buy a nice dual band 11ac wireless router. Then split the load by connecting the nearby devices on the faster 5GHz band and the more distant devices on the 2.4GHz band instead of your plan to pile up all the devices on a single, crowded 2.4GHz band (which is also crowded with other cordless phones, TV remotes, baby monitors, garage door openers, even Bluetooth devices).
Well, now we agree on something - more or less. I agree the best solution is to go Ethernet. But that typically means you must own the house and be willing to punch holes in floors, walls and ceilings and pull cables through attics and crawlspaces.

But if you are going to pull new cable through the house, it really makes no sense to pull Cat5e. Go with Cat6 for more future proofing. And a router on each floor really makes no sense either unless you are creating and isolating separate networks. Just get a decent Gigabit (1000/100/10) Ethernet switch for the other floors. Networks only need one router.

: )
4 floors, 5GHz. = fail. NO not one router. PERIOD. No matter what size the house is. IF it was room on top of room 4 times.. and the router was in the middle I STILL doubt that would work.
I have a RT-AC68U and I can not get 5GHz from one bedroom to the balcony (from one end to the other) 2bd apt. 1 floor. California, wood frame, no stucco nothing like that. Just electrical and heat vent and water in the walls.

It is not going to happen.

(Respectively speaking :D )
I just stated above that, for a house with 4 levels, ONE router will not be able to reach with 5GHz band. So it's useless to buy any fancy AC routers, they won't penetrate at 5GHz.
Or wait for the AX routers that push AC like performance over 2.4GHz too... But probably his clients won't be AX for a long time. I have just one - Samsung Galaxy S10.
IS Correct.

---
OP, what ever router you buy, make sure it has antennas sticking out of it. Internal won't give you the range you NEED.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm not sure why everyone is caught up on getting 5GHz coverage to the whole house. This is for OP's parents, so what are the chances they are going to care about, or even notice the difference if they are using 2.4GHz? Chances are they aren't using the network to transfer large files, or even transfering files at all, they're probably using it for an internet connection and that's it. The current router they are using is only 2.4GHz anyway, and the OP is really only looking to upgrade to something with a strong signal.

Any good router, with decent external antennas, will likely give a better 2.4GHz signal than the current router in use, and if they can connect to 5GHz in the areas it reaches, that's just a bonus.

I'm not sure why everyone is caught up on getting 5GHz coverage to the whole house. This is for OP's parents, so what are the chances they are going to care about, or even notice the difference if they are using 2.4GHz? Chances are they aren't using the network to transfer large files, or even transfering files at all, they're probably using it for an internet connection and that's it. The current router they are using is only 2.4GHz anyway, and the OP is really only looking to upgrade to something with a strong signal.

Any good router, with decent external antennas, will likely give a better 2.4GHz signal than the current router in use, and if they can connect to 5GHz in the areas it reaches, that's just a bonus.
What is the point in upgrading the current router then?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
What is the point in upgrading the current router then?

Because the current router is a cheap PoS that barely reaches where they need it to reach. Seriously, am I the only one that actually read the OP's posts?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
4 floors, 5GHz. = fail.
:( NO ONE, including me, said anything about using 5GHz for the entire house. Please read what's been said again about using both bands.
I'm not sure why everyone is caught up on getting 5GHz coverage to the whole house.
Me either. No one is suggested that.
I have a RT-AC68U and I can not get 5GHz from one bedroom to the balcony (from one end to the other) 2bd apt. 1 floor. California, wood frame, no stucco nothing like that. Just electrical and heat vent and water in the walls.
:( If you note what I said that you even quoted, I was pretty clear and said "5GHz can even easily penetrate 2 standard wallboard walls with wood studs if the walls are not full of metal pipes and wires!"

@lZKoce - 5GHz wifi, under ideal conditions has an effective range up to ~45 feet. That means, the you can use 5GHz for the wireless devices in the same room as your router. And depending on the construction and contents of the barriers (walls, floors, and ceilings), you may be able to use 5GHz for devices in adjacent rooms, including the rooms directly above and below the room where the router sits. Using 5GHz where possible is good because it is subject to less interference as the 2.4GHz band tends to be more crowded. Plus, 5GHz can offer better performance. However, as others have noted, it has shorter effective range and is less able to penetrate some and/or multiple barriers.

So for those distant areas in your home, you can then use 2.4GHz. Using both bands distributes the load on the router and on one particular band.

Possible under $100 suggestions include:
Netgear R6700 AC1750 Dual Band $87
D-Link Dual Band with MU-Mimo for $90. Note that MU-Mimo is a desirable feature - but the distant end device must support it too.

If you can bump up the budget to $150, you can find a router that offers better performance and have more features and might be able to find a "simultaneous" dual band AC router. Simultaneous dual bands allow communications with both 2.4 and 5GHz devices at the same time instead of constantly flipping back and forth. This is really beneficial when you have multiple users/devices connecting at once.

See best under $150 wireless router for ideas. I personally have used D-Link, Netgear and Linksys over the years and never had any fail on me. I currently use a Linksys MAX-STREAM AC1900 MU-MIMO Dual-Band in this 2-story house. The router is centrally located on the top floor. I have no problems accessing the Samsung Blu-ray player located in the basement via 5GHz, or my cell and table via 5GHz wifi out on the back deck. I have recommended this PC Mag Editor's Choice to a couple friends and colleagues and they too have been happy with the results.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
I called my bud that I gave the router to ... he hasn't gotten around to trying it out. If I get it back, was gonna offer it to you but then realized you were in Bulgaria .. well if ya happen to be in the neighborhood :)