• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How can I prevent PC from forgetting type of printer attached when printer is switched off?

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
The printer is an HP LaserJet M1522 MFP Series PCL 6.

Here are the rest of the pc's specs:

I've got this strange issue at work where I have to power on the printer first, and only afterwards start up the connected computer.

If the computer is powered on first, the printer won't work unless the computer is rebooted with printer powered on. Which shouldn't be a big deal, but the computer then won't recognize it as the printer was connected to before and re-installs it as a new printer. It changes the printer's name to be another printer of the same type while keeping the original printer still 'installed' as a phantom printer.

So all of a sudden the 'new' printer would be HP LaserJet M1522 MFP Series PCL 6 (Copy 1).

I'd want to solve this since I'm not alone in the office, and there's always someone who forgets to turn on the printer before turning on the computer. I'd have been working remotely for some 2 hours, then all my print-outs would get lost because they would be stored in the memory of the 'phantom' printer.

See image below to give you a better picture of what's happening:

I had been using Copy 6 (yes there had been 6 other phantom copies of the printer before so I deleted them!)
Someone powered on the pc before the printer... so one with the original name got created. (If I hadn't deleted the other 5 phantom copies it would've been Copy 7 instead).
Note how Copy 6 is now offline... with 17 pending documents. And there's no way I can get it online since it's physically the same printer which is actually online...

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Anyone got a clue how I can solve this?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
ummm I am not trying to be a smartazz but don't power off printer.... leave it on and just boot computer every morning or just log off computer and leave everything on in sleep mode. I sorta had similar problem with my brother mfp at home. But after I went to website and dl'ed driver and utility for 2nd time I have not had the problem since. I have not cleaned up/out the copy of the printer in my devices yet but it still works fine I just do not power off printer.

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
Is this a network printer, shared printer, or a standalone for that system? Have you tried uninstalling the driver, going into Print Management in the Administrative Tools in Control Panel, and make sure all printers are removed in the All Printers folder and make sure there are no other drivers for that printer in the All Drivers folder.

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
ummm I am not trying to be a smartazz but don't power off printer.... leave it on and just boot computer every morning or just log off computer and leave everything on in sleep mode. I sorta had similar problem with my brother mfp at home. But after I went to website and dl'ed driver and utility for 2nd time I have not had the problem since. I have not cleaned up/out the copy of the printer in my devices yet but it still works fine I just do not power off printer.

Yes, that's the only solution which works apart from having the printer powered on before the computer every morning. And according to Murphy's law there'd always be someone who forgets...
However the management (myself included) is against it since the offices are very close to storage where there's flammable material, and as a safety precaution we don't leave anything powered on while there's nobody there.

Is this a network printer, shared printer, or a standalone for that system? Have you tried uninstalling the driver, going into Print Management in the Administrative Tools in Control Panel, and make sure all printers are removed in the All Printers folder and make sure there are no other drivers for that printer in the All Drivers folder.

It's standalone, and yes I tried that.

It's getting more complicated by the minute. After I deleted 6 copies of HP... whateverthename, the default printer is "HP..... (Copy 6)" but that doesn't work. I have to choose just the original HP now. But in Devices and Printers it doesn't show up, only the Copy 6 does. And I'm not gonna delete that one... just in case..

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
BP,

Have you installed the latest firmware for that printer?
HP LaserJet M1522 Firmware Update Utility

Have you tried...
Remove the printer from the port (computer).
Delete all software and drivers from HP.
Re-boot.
Install the Full solution software package for your country's language ( this one contains English, Greek and others -->HP LaserJet M1522 MFP Series Full Solution EMEA2 ) and follow the instructions on how and when to connect the printer.

Then you can install any other optional software/drivers.
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit) downloads for HP LaserJet M1522nf Multifunction Printer

There have been a couple of postings in the HP forums about the problem, however, there has been no definitive answer, as of yet.

Some have gone back to the Version 4.X software/drivers and others have stated they installed the printer to the lpt1 port then changed it to the correct port after the install.

I had the same type of problem with my multi-function printer from HP when Windows 7 (64 bit) first came out; however, software updates fixed it for me.