• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do coders stay healthy? Carpal Tunnel, sedentary, etc. What are some common best practices?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Just curious.

@R-T-B
@W1zzard

I know a lot of people here have a lot of experience in this line of work, have you ever been worried about carpel tunnel or other health issues, and if so what are some ways to combat them? I hover type, not traditional professional way so I don't think carpel tunnel is going to be an issue for me personally, I mostly am worried about colon cancer since it seems to be related to a sedentary lifestyle, my hobbies are all mostly sitting... and probably my work someday too.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I push myself to have other hobbies. I bike sometimes but I regularly do target archery.

Other than that, I spent $$$$ on good office chair and actually READING the calibration manual. feet flat arms level with desk etc to maintain a good posture. It took like 3 hours.

I also bought a small lamp with an edison bulb and run that when I work at night. Keeps the contrast not so sharp when I have my lights off and im working infront of my screen.

MY job is infront of the PC, so I spend ALOT of time infront of monitors. I have tried a few standing desks, and honestly dont hate it. I have one at the office, I'll get one at the home office eventually.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
My best advice re carpal tunnel etc is to not skimp on your input peripherals. Buy a good keyboard and mouse you are comfortable with, price be damned.

Also, I am morbidly obese and fighting that every day, so health/diet is probably not the best thing to ask me, but I have had luck lately with South Beach and nearly 0 excercise. Lol, yeah. Colon cancer is gonna get me and I figure it's just fate at this point.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
My best advice re carpal tunnel etc is to not skimp on your input peripherals. Buy a good keyboard and mouse you are comfortable with, price be damned.

Also, I am morbidly obese and fighting that every day, so health/diet is probably not the best thing to ask me, but I have had luck lately with South Beach and nearly 0 excercise. Lol, yeah. Colon cancer is gonna get me and I figure it's just fate at this point.

What is South Beach?

I push myself to have other hobbies. I bike sometimes but I regularly do target archery.

Other than that, I spent $$$$ on good office chair and actually READING the calibration manual. feet flat arms level with desk etc to maintain a good posture. It took like 3 hours.

I also bought a small lamp with an edison bulb and run that when I work at night. Keeps the contrast not so sharp when I have my lights off and im working infront of my screen.

MY job is infront of the PC, so I spend ALOT of time infront of monitors. I have tried a few standing desks, and honestly dont hate it. I have one at the office, I'll get one at the home office eventually.

How about Gunnar Optiks or a similar branded computer glasses for long term blue light exposure safety?

Also, thanks for the tips on the chair, I actually have been wondering what is the proper way to sit.

What is brand of your chair?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
What is South Beach?

How about Gunnar Optiks or a similar branded computer glasses for long term blue light exposure safety?

Also, thanks for the tips on the chair, I actually have been wondering what is the proper way to sit.

What is brand of your chair?

If you actually want to know its a hermen miller aeron. As for gunnars, yes I own two pair. one for home, one for office.

and yes I thought it was total BS, but got them free from work.

Yes they do work, especially if your like me and freq do 10hr +.

It's not something you notice in like a day, but it REALLY helps my face feel better at the end of the night. Generally and maybe its just me, but my face is sore I guess? Because ill constrict my face unknowingly. Anyway this helps with that. Would I get the same kind of help from like a pair of sunglasses? maybe but then I couldnt fucking see at night. So these work. While I wouldnt reccomend buying the ultra expensive pairs, I would pick the lower ones up no problem.

Attachments

• 5A20D811-6E8A-4FC8-91B1-7801986F2917.jpeg
    5A20D811-6E8A-4FC8-91B1-7801986F2917.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 380
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
What is South Beach?

Yes, I look exactly like the women in this ad.

Seriously though, it's just cutting carbs really with a rulebook. Cut the carbs and fat starts to fall off, is the idea.

It works for me essentially because low carb food is awful and I cease having a desire to eat.

If that sounds miserable, it's because it is. Don't get fat kids.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Ah ok, I am doing intermittent fasting 16 hours nothing enters my body except water, the other 8 I eat as I please, seems to work for me. I went from 200 to 190 in last few months. I mean during the 8, you can't just shove 5000 calories down or anything, still have to be smart what you eat. I just had a triple steak burger and fries with a shake though. /shrug

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Invest in good ergonomics. Get a high quality mechanical keyboard with a cushioned palm rest. Get a cushioned chair that's static and doesn't swivel. Have it custom-made at a shop if you can't find one at your ikea. A swivel chair grinds your spinal and cervical discs over time. Bone growth takes place of worn-out discs, pinching nerves and causing excruciating pain (osteoarthritis). Keep your keyboard at the same level as your arm-rest. Don't wear headphones/headset unless you really need it (puts load on your neck). Make some lifestyle changes such as warm-up and running in the morning, and getting up from your desk every 40 minutes (go pee/smoke/coffee/stretch, etc).

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Ah ok, I am doing intermittent fasting 16 hours nothing enters my body except water, the other 8 I eat as I please, seems to work for me. I went from 200 to 190 in last few months. I mean during the 8, you can't just shove 5000 calories down or anything, still have to be smart what you eat. I just had a triple steak burger and fries with a shake though. /shrug

I have heard great things about the intermittent fasting thing if you can stick with it. Issue with me is I either couldn't, or ate something so godawful in the "free 8" as to counteract all my hard work.

Bottom line is find what works for you and stick with it. Oh, and don't get fat. Yeah. As if it were that easy... :laugh:

Get up regularly (1-2hr intervals) and go for a walk, in a nutshell. I've done a few years in engineering and my skeleton screams at me if I don't.
The carpal tunnel is a separate issue because it requires special exercises to prevent the nerve compression, but it's easy to find instructions on Youtube. One of my relatives had carpal tunnel and needed surgery to fix it, which was a big ordeal. It takes months to restore feeling and doesn't fully solve the problem.

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
I use a wrist rest to prevent carpal tunnel and type in an upright semi-proper posture, but if I'm not typing I'm as close to prone as I can get to take pressure off my tailbone and lower back. I built a little shelf behind my computer desk for my feet to rest on, no idea how to keep in shape, I suggest trail mix and an occasional break as well as using a light besides your monitor so your eyes don't get fatigued.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
My Doctor told me recently I need to align my neck/head/spine better when sitting. So I just need a proper chair that A) forces me do that or B) just makes it natural to sit that way whether I want to or not...

I suppose I should just take a trip to IKEA and see if any "fit" right.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
+1 on the chair. Also, a good keyboard is fundamental when coding.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
hermen miller aeron

Expensive as shit for a chair, but one of the best investments in computing I ever made. I think I am about out of my seven year warranty now, but the chair looks and feels like it did day one, outside of a touch of smoothing happening to the arm pads. I also love that they sell it in sizes, and cover things like a 350 pound rated strut! You know, for us not-so-slim users....lol

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
Long term lifestyle to stick with:
-Good posture when sat on a chair and a decent chair will also help as well
-Regular breaks away from typing, mouse flying and sitting. Start going for quick 5-10min stroll around the office or something to try get the blood circulation going
-Learn to do some light stretches for your legs, arm + shoulders, neck and back
- Regularly move your neck about or you will have a stiff neck from constantly keeping it still from staring at screen
-Drink plenty of water
-I heard consuming bit more iron(1 a day capsule and food) helps with carpel tunnel
-Exercise 3-4 times a week to keep your body movement going
-Decent diet

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I spend a good amount of time at a computer. To compensate, I do a lot of exercise: indoor rowing with a concept 2 and slides, indoor biking, fairly heavy free weights using some thick handled dumbbells (which helped greatly with nerve pain in hands) and kettlebells, and I take regular walks, which is good for the eyes to refocus as well.

I have had two spinal cord neurosurgeries (not the spine but the spinal cord) in recent years, but have always been athletic and active so I am bouncing back as best as one can from that type of thing. I keep my bodyweight light by eating healthy.
- I avoid using the computer in an unlit room, always have the room lights on.
- I have a lowered desk that I made from an Ikea Gerton table top and some cut down steel folding legs, so my arms are not elevated to type, the desk surface with keyboard and mouse are same level as my armrests.
- Despite the low desk, my monitors are greatly elevated, I put them on pieces of wood, so my neck doesn't need to crane or tilt to look at them, upper/middle of screens are basically eye level.
- The chair I use is something that people would probably think is uncomfortable but its one of the few chairs I can sit in. Its an Ikea Roberget, its a steel chair, and I replaced the base (which holds the castors) and the castors with a solid aluminum 5 spoke star and the rollerblade style castors. The chair forces me to sit upright, it isn't possible to sit any other way in it. Its uncomfortable to sit any way but perfectly upright. If I start to slump I take a break and go for a walk.
The two things that I dislike about this chair is the arms are thin metal tubes which can cause some nerve discomfort in my forearm if I am not careful, and it can get rather cold.

Last edited:
If a standing table is possible, then one can opt for that. Read about sitting for extended hours (so, sedentary) to be as damaging as smoking. Enough sleep and putting what you eat on a journal can help too.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Easy....

Stretching your hands and wrists... making sure you get up and move hourly. I also look away from the monitor every 30 mins or so and look at things far away for a few mins to help with eyestrain.

The basics.. :)

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11

Yes, I look exactly like the women in this ad.

Seriously though, it's just cutting carbs really with a rulebook. Cut the carbs and fat starts to fall off, is the idea.

It works for me essentially because low carb food is awful and I cease having a desire to eat.

If that sounds miserable, it's because it is. Don't get fat kids.

so you are hot then?

Awesome. I gotta start a diet program.

I used to be in awesome physical shape due to my many many years of playing Hockey. Now I got fat. Eating habbit of a hockey player but no workout is just a terrible combination. Sitting in front of a PC all day because of work and after work stuff, well even worst.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Easy....

Stretching your hands and wrists... making sure you get up and move hourly. I also look away from the monitor every 30 mins or so and look at things far away for a few mins to help with eyestrain.

The basics.. :)

I'm a fitness manager. This is about as sensible as you can be. A few others have mentioned the above (walking around and avoiding eye-strain). Standing desks aren't much better--they've been researched quite a bit. It's all about movement and getting blood flowing. For spine health, I'd recommend spending a while without a backrest and using your abdominal and lower back muscles to sit straight. Monitor at eye-level and wrists in line with the desk surface. Unfortunately, our bodies aren't suited to sitting down for long periods. It's why we have a pelvis the shape it is.

^ Interesting, didn't know about the standing desks. I'll keep circulation in mind when I have to sit for long periods of time.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Also, I am morbidly obese and fighting that every day,

Memes

But on a more serious note. I had quite a big friend too. He started off on 30min walks around the park and ended losing a tonne of weight. Now he's taken up K1 boxing to help him lose more of the lbs. Keep it up

I am morbidly obese and have carpal tunnel. I haven't done anything to fix it because I just don't care. Not bragging, just the effects of being depressed and having medical issues that sap my energy. I am the personification of being miserable and wallowing in it.