1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do you deal with being better than the average person at gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Guitar, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitar

Guitar

Thanks Received:
    In the wise words of natr0n...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Pfft. Come play with us the DEEZNUTZ crew in Battlefield 1 and have a nice little reality check when @REAYTH takes your tags and I teabag your corps while singing "Mamys lil baby love shortlin cakes". Or when @cadaveca shotguns your corn hole and takes the flag. Maybe when @MxPhenom 216 screams "Get REKT" with the automatico. Hell maybe youll feel better when you trip over @crazyeyesreaper coffee pot at his camp site you'll realize you aint that good. I think you might even be ok when @erocker snipes you with his insulin rife.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. azngreentea01

Thanks Received:
    If you really want to rank up, find friends who want to play with you. Dont try to rank up with internet people. The system try to set up with similar rank on a match, not skill. Also, if you think you are better than them, they also think they are better than you. Just like LOL, they think they are so good at what they do in one position, example: top, always play the same old top Position. And blame other for not. It not that complicated. If you are gonna play on the internet, expect it. Play with friend, it will be easier.

Join a clan.

Guitar says thanks.
  4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    That's the wrong attitude. If you speak the truth, you should be lifting them up.

Simple: don't play them. :roll:

"Machine learning" is literally grinding. They train deep learning AIs by subjecting them hundreds of millions of pictures. Most games have some kind of system as you described (merit points which accelerate leveling).

Pretty sure StarCraft II has individual and team ranking.

Maybe look at MegaWars.
    You can listen to David Baity (CTO) talk about it in PDGC.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    This actually made me LOL :clap:

I hardly ever play online with the exception of L4D/2. That said I have been playing the COD series on the old xbox 360 with the mrs the last few weeks as I have been without a PC and I'm not the best at that in fact i'm pretty damn shit tbh but I still enjoy it and thats the main thing...right?? :roll:though my excuse is I'm not used to playing on a game controller... :laugh:

6. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You find a group of high level players instead of making your own. It's not that hardto find serious clans in CS:GO and the like honestly. Friend of mine played solo for 4000 hours to git gud and then just joined a random team he found on the internet and does leagues with them frequently.

I refuse to play any team based game without the use of Discord/TeamSpeak. A team on VOIP is gonna trash a similarly skilled team using text chat.

7. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    1. Don't ask questions.
    2. Just shoot.
    3. Fuck Everyone !

8. Guitar

Guitar

Thanks Received:
    That is the main thing depending on the type of player you are, for sure. However, I'm very competitive by nature, so even if I pick up a game with the sole purpose of having fun with it, I want to beat it and win 100%. It's not that I can't deal with losing, it's the fact I don't like other people being the reason I lose.

:beer:

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Sucks you are in Euro land. You could come play with the NUTZ.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. monkeypwned New Member

Thanks Received:
    I played League of Legends for 5 years and have come across countless people who felt the same as you. Team drags them down, "this is why i'm stuck at X rank" etc. The fact is that the enemy team would on average consist of people of equivalent skill as your team, and if you're good they should be easy to handle.

People who are actually good can make several accounts and climb out of low ranks on all them, despite their teams. What i'm getting at is that if you're probably not as good as you think you are, even if you're better than the average person.

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Also who plays CS:GO? The games graphics suck.

Easy Rhino and yogurt_21 say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    This looks like you are specificaly interested in team games?

If you want a challenge that will ruin your day, every day until you win and realise you're stupidly awesome, I suggest you try Dark Souls 3. It's swords, not guns but it is designed to taunt you mercilessly but those with true skills and patience are rewarded. It also has PvP in a most horrible way where your single player campaign can be invaded by other players.

I gave up... o_O

Guitar and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm so getting this when it goes on sale. People said the first Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox (I know its not the first. I had the NES version also) was impossible. I beat that bitch in less than a week.

EDIT: I just saw this on steam for Dark Souls 3 and thought I would share. Made me lol. DEM HOURS! lololol
    1.PNG

yogurt_21 and the54thvoid say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I also know all too well the burden of greatness:shadedshu:

I've beaten all the games, World of Witchcraft, Lord of rings , legendary leagues , evercraft, The Sims, and many more. In some circles I'm known as "The MLGeesiest".

I created the midlane, I have all the swords

Now I retreat back to the darkness & stoic greatness. Also my modesty is unrivaled

[​IMG]

Real gamers only use(i won CS:G0 tournament using this)
    [​IMG]

Live by the Glove, Die by the Glove

Guitar, eidairaman1, 64K and 2 others say thanks.
  15. kruk

kruk

Thanks Received:
    We were all noobs once. You should:

1. votekick/ban trolls
    2. help noobs get better
    3. not take the game too seriously
    4. ???
    5. Profit !!!

I played on a UT99 server a long time ago where all players (even most of those who were top dog) followed these rules and everyone had a ton of fun.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Killing Floor 1/2 and Natural Selection 2 is generally like that. If new players show interest in learning, we're always willing to ignore the fact they might screw our victory. What I hate are noobs who think they know better and screw it up even after you tell them what to do or what not to do...

Guitar says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  17. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the game, in each game a player can pick up experience if they play it long enough. Knowing how to play, work as a team with builds that synergize well with each other. Knowing when to fight or when to kite or which target to prioritise.

Timing and tactics. I remember being part of a 4man team holding back almost over half the team in Guildwars Alliance Battles. It was hard but we fought well, got pushed back slowly but in the end the entire enemy team was more interested trying to fight us then capture command points

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. Guitar

Guitar

Thanks Received:
    The problem is in the games I play, and maybe because of the NA mindset, but people do NOT want criticism. These players in ranks that aren't the worst already think they're good (like me) and therefore need no help to get any better. So immediately you are labeled toxic if you tell somebody why they made a bad play, or instead get toxic response because they don't want to hear it. I just mute people at that point, but of course that ruins part of the team aspect. Also, some of these games like CS:GO and Overwatch you're stuck with the same person the hour or whatever is the duration, so unlike something like Rocket League where it is only 5 minutes, it weighs on you a lot more if you're constantly there with it.

19. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    lol - yeah - The first boss is a bitch. And it's technically an intro section. I had to walk away towards the end as my keyboard and mouse were in danger of utter rage destruction.

20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG come play Battlefield 1 with us. Jesus it would be awesome. @brandonwh64 would eat you alive. Nevermind @Black Haru tearing up your score.

Black Haru says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Same as in real life, put a non chalant look on , remain calm and say nothing, just deal with it.
    You don't want to attract the hater's ,but in so far as FPS shooter's go , Don't be like that i need the likes of you to prop my shit, where do i go in well ass up or I'll never prestige on a cod game damnit. :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    Then I guess you haven't played WoW , that game blurs the line between very good players and ones with non existent skill very often. This is the result of ever changing mechanics and things going out of balance with every change and later on making a full 360. That dose not mean you cannot prove that your are skilled , it's just hard too tell in midst of things because no one cares how much time you spend figuring out ways to exploit your class. So as a consequence you never feel like you have everything figured out and find your competition lacking no matter how good you are.

If you play something like CS:GO where nothing ever changes , then eventually you will run into this problem I think.

Anyway , as a side note I have played video games all my life but I never once took things seriously in this regard (at least not to this degree) , just never thought it was worth it. I think that if you reach a point where the things you mentioned are starting to bother you it may be time for you to take a break.

Guitar says thanks.
  23. toilet pepper

toilet pepper

Thanks Received:
    I cant play FPS games anymore. My recent purchase was BF1 and I tried to catch up with the younglings' pace but I can tell my reaction speed is so slow compared to them. So I changed tactics and played medic most of the time. I didnt bother with kills buy I'm usually getting a lot of points just by throwing heal pack.

Most games would be more fun if everyone didnt just want to kill each other.

Though in some games I just have fun and charge like an idiot if I needed to let loose some stress. So I think I understand why most people just play and not play competetively.

Easy Rhino, 64K and Guitar say thanks.
  24. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I guess it's different for everybody, but for me it was more about finding people that I could enjoy playing with, rather than excel playing with. At the end of the day you're not winning any awards, or getting any paychecks for doing well in a video game ,so you may as well enjoy yourself. after all it's the whole point, unless of course you're in some kind of competitive match. I used to play in tournaments :street fighter, Mortal Kombat, Daytona racing. However that was back when multiplayer meant your elbow was touching your competitors elbow. Back then it was different though because there was no social aspect to gaming like there is now. You really couldn't have fun in the joking around sense because you were playing by yourself or against one other person. I always feel bad for the people who take gaming too serious , it's like everyone but them is in on a joke which they are the punchline of... I don't know it's sad. If you're not playing in a competition you should be enjoying yourself. If your expectation is players who also try hard then you need to find those players and game with them.but to expect try Hards in a public match is foolish.and one last thing, more often than not I've noticed that people who think they're good at gaming aren't really as good as they think they are. If they were they wouldn't question it ,they would be professional.

Black Haru, eidairaman1 and Guitar say thanks.
  25. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, I'd love to see this video game virtuoso in action.

I don't find people to be "better". It just means they found something that works. So, if you're getting killed over and over by someone, figure out what they're doing and do something else.

Black Haru, eidairaman1 and yogurt_21 say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU